Final Fantasy 3: stuck at Fanatics Tower

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

16 bit warrior

Final Fantasy 3: stuck at Fanatics Tower

Post by 16 bit warrior »

Ok so I'm in the Fanatics Tower and I make it to the top. I now fight what I think must be the last boss of this place. I'm doing well, I'm hitting him with Meteor and Osmose which he is always weak against, and all my characters have the best armor against magic attacks. After like ten minutes of successfully fighting him, he eventually always casts Ultima and all my characters die. They all have Shell and Safe cast on them, they all have max HP when this happens too. In fact Terra is put in the back Row so she will hopefully always take less damage, she has 137% Magic resistance with everything she is equipped with and even she dies!!! Oh yeah, and she even has the relic Safety Bit which is supposed to protect against fatal magic attacks.

What do I do to keep from dying and kill this guy at Fanatics Tower?
sweener2001
Inmate

Re: Final Fantasy 3: stuck at Fanatics Tower

Post by sweener2001 »

grind moar

that's how you solve 99% of rpg dying issues.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

note: many rpgs make you fight battles that you cannot win. don't reset right when you die, see if it's one of those.

note 2: a very limited amount of games then add awesome rewards if you DO win the battle through massive tactical supremacy, sheer guts or horrible overleveling. have fun with finding out.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

if you're too weak to survive ultima, either use life3/reraise (learned from phoenix) or kill him with mp exhaustion. the long and painfully slow way is to cast reflect on everyone and then start bouncing rasp at him.

the fun way is to give everyone good weapons and berserk them. the fight will be over in seconds - just need to survive ultima, either by brute force or via reraise.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
16 bit warrior

Post by 16 bit warrior »

diminish wrote:gamefaqs.com
Thanks that site is great. Now I know how LIfe 3 works. It is VERY poorly explained and described in the manual!
16 bit warrior

Post by 16 bit warrior »

odditude wrote:if you're too weak to survive ultima, either use life3/reraise (learned from phoenix) or kill him with mp exhaustion. the long and painfully slow way is to cast reflect on everyone and then start bouncing rasp at him.

the fun way is to give everyone good weapons and berserk them. the fight will be over in seconds - just need to survive ultima, either by brute force or via reraise.
Ha! I didn't know you could circumvent(?) the only magic rule in Fanatics Tower by doing that. But I finally killed him by making sure everyone had an active Life 3 cast on themselves. The manual doesn't even clearly explain what Life 3 does. I just thought it was like Life 1 and 2 except when I cast it on a wounded character it didn't bring them back to life, essentially a Life spell that didn't work!
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

You could always cast berserk on him, therefore making it so it cannot cast spells.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

16 bit warrior wrote:After like ten minutes of successfully fighting him, he eventually always casts Ultima and all my characters die.
Yeah, he has Ultima as an on-death move. It means you beat him, but he got you back. :P
Oh yeah, and she even has the relic Safety Bit which is supposed to protect against fatal magic attacks.
That doesn't do what you think. It doesn't prevent any magic that does fatal damage from killing you, it prevents instadeath spells from killing you.

Also, to add to the heaps of advice you've already received... Celes' runic can absorb ultima. I do not actually recall if that is a valid option in this fight, though.

I believe I always used badinsults' strategy.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads