Preffered joypad for ZSNES needs?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

smkdan
Hazed

Preffered joypad for ZSNES needs?

Post by smkdan »

Sorry for the GameFAQesque topic but I'm curious as to what gamepad you use (ESPECIALLY if you play competitivley as in Zbattle) to get the most out of ZSNES.

I Zbattle quite a bit and I'm using a stock PSX controller (not the chunky dual shock) and personally I think it suites the SNES perfectly. ABXY map perfectly, nice sturdy D-pad and LR is great too. Why not a genuine SNES controller though you're probably asking? Well, considering SNES's age the controllers in existence are probably worn severly, like mine here :lol:. The D-pad is sloppy and loose, the buttons aren't as responsive and I'm not too fond of the L R buttons, especially with the wear they have now. There are probably many good condition controllers out there, but after 16 years, unless its a NOS controller I doubt it'll be in competitive condition.

My next reason is that in my personal opinion, the PSX controller is superior to the SNES controller for SNES play. Its just that, when I imagine a SNES controller new, with nice responsive controls I can't imagine that I would choose that over the PSX controller. It just feels so much more comfortable to handle and play with than the SNES controller. I know theres probably not that many people who would agree (what with the 'its not the same without the original' argument) so just remember is MY personal opinion :P.

Just a quick rundown for what I find useful in Zbattle:

SUPER MARIO KART
My most played game on zbattle :). With the PSX controller I've been able to achieve the fastest times and best performance in 2P than i've been able to on my SNES. The controller works wonders for this game and I'm not the only half decent karter who uses a PSX controller.

CONTRA 3
Very useful setup with PSX controller. I map X button to R2 for very easy switching of weapons rapidly for the ultimate in firepower. Superb control in this game.

TETRIS ATTACK
Hmmm, I'm a bit slow on the cursor but I can still pull the odd 13X chain should the oppurtunity arise. D-Pads very nice here and I'm precise with the movements here.

Well, theres my most played games on zbattle. So what gamepad to you use for your competitive (or offline) play?

Oh and I'm not sure if this should go in zsnes talk or controller help...Its controller related but I'm not asking for help :? .
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

I own two of these Thrustmasters. I have to say, though, they're not the greatest. The d-pad is too sensitive, the buttons are unlabelled, my thumb slips kinda easily off the analog sticks. But, they are laid out similarly to the SNES pad, AND they have all necessary buttons for proper N64 emulation. And, of course, Playstation emulation.

I'm interested in buying an XBox 360 controller at some point. The wired controllers are currently compatible with Windows XP computers. I've heard/read somewhere that the wireless controllers will also eventually be useable with Windows XP (perhaps they'll save those for Vista).

Ergonomically, the 360 controllers seem pretty nice. I like the scalloped tops of the analog sticks. Everything else seems to be pretty solid. I have not extensively used the 360 controllers, though.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The Keyboard works surprisingly well in certain multiplayer games such as Tetris Attack and the Bomberman games. For other games, though, I use pads.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Personally, I use (in the following order):

1. Regular XBox controller modded for PC USB
2. PSX -> USB Converter
3. Nyko Airflo controller.

Now if only I can find my PSX controller attached to the converter :x
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

For Tetris Attack and certain fighting games, I prefer the N64 controller to all.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

Now that I think of it the only games I zbattled with when I had no pad were Bomberman and Tetris attack. I was woefully helpless at kart (even in battle) and other stuff I was generally poor at. I saw a usb conveter for cheap and all of sudden I started playing SNES at my best level yet.

An N64 controller? D-Pad, and LR look nice but isn't awkward playing with the rather small C-buttons?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Not at all. It's perfectly natural for arcade style games that use a 6-button layout. I play platformers like Mario World 1/2 and Donkey Kong Country more comfortably than I did on the SNES. I sometimes find myself using C-Down in Tetris Attack instead of the over-sized A button. After playing with the N64 pad for an extended time, the SNES D-pad actually feels slightly less accurate.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Hey, i posted something similar to this thread a few months ago, and not only was it flamed to feck it was also locked.

Anyhoo, right now i am using a retrocon thru a usb converter, before that i was using a 3rd party playstation controller and it was ace. But one of my faves is actually my xbox mod (thanks again to adventure_of_link for the insperation and drivers!) it works realy well.

But at the mo it has to be my retrocon simply because people want to touch it when its all lit up :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

ouija1979 wrote:Hey, i posted something similar to this thread a few months ago, and not only was it flamed to feck it was also locked.
That's odd, since DOLLS started a similar topic in tech talk, and no one flamed him... nor was it locked.
ouija1979 wrote:But one of my faves is actually my xbox mod (thanks again to adventure_of_link for the insperation and drivers!) it works realy well.
No problem man, someone else on the board gave me tne inspiration to do it, I forgot who it was though :x

Also, I found my PSX -> USB converter + the controller it was connected to a couple nights ago :D

EDIT: And here's the post:
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 5&start=12
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I did it a long time ago with an socketed extension cable. Haven't used it since.
MorteTheSkull
Hazed

Post by MorteTheSkull »

I use an "Axispad Colors" GGE900
It's basically a Playstation controller except with the joypad being the cool circular analog type thing some 3rd party SNES controllers (and maybe ps controllers, I wouldn't really know) had. My brother accidently stole it from an old roommate of his who didn't know what it was for, neither of them figured out it was a USB controller. It's pretty cool, took me a while to find the driver online, though.
"Did you see the way that female zombie was looking at me?"
"You're imagining things, Morte."
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I use a PS2 Dual Shock controller with a USB :arrow: adapter. It is splendid. Please keep this thread open.
nemo
Rookie

Post by nemo »

If you have an XBox to USB adapter (Or are willing to cannibalize a controller) I suggest looking for a special edition Street Fighter controller 10th Anniversary whatever. Nice box, comes with a comic, the controller nicely designed (aesthetically), and at gamestop it was $10. Sweet. Just holding it, it feels kinda cheaply made (I'm sure it is), but once I actually played with it, it's pretty nice. It's laid out like the bastard child of a SNES and Genesis (6 button) controller. 6 buttons on the face, two shoulder buttons, and a dpad. It's all digital, including the shoulder buttons, so I wouldn't recommend it for use on an Xbox if many games use that (I own 4 Xbox controllers.... never really played on an Xbox. Nice controllers though, MS). I <3 Xbox controllers.

P.S. Play Goldeneye with two controller configuration, and map both controllers to an Xbox controller. Sweet.

Edit: Looked on the website, it's not there. Maybe it didn't sell well? Maybe most people don't use them to play SNES? (hehe) Anyway, might not be in stock long.
[quote="asfan42069"]now that i think about it... the rev is just an emulator itself with a couple rev only titles[/quote][quote="Magus`"]THE STUPID, OH GOD IT BURNS[/quote][quote="Joe Camacho"]I'm going to print this thread and tape it on my fridge.[/quote]I missed you guys.
Gentlegamer

Post by Gentlegamer »

I have a GamersFactory control pad that I've found perfect for all emulation needs. It has 12 buttons . . . 6 on top, 4 shoulder, and 2 in the middle (Start and Select positions). In addition, it has built in rapid fire that works great and a program button (that I've never used). The D-pad is very comfortable and responsive, and it has two analog sticks in the same position as the PS2 Dualshock (I haven't tried any 3-D games with it yet). The casing is rubberized and very comfortable to the hands.

I bought it on clearance at Best Buy about a year ago and I wish I could find another for two player games. I don't know if it is made anymore, though.
nemo
Rookie

Post by nemo »

Yeah, the only shortcoming of using an Xbox controller is that it sucks when you're using PS/PS2 games that depend upon having L2/R2, especially when their function is only logical if they are positioned as on the PS controller. (I.e. L1/L2 as upshift and downshift is not intuitive if your L2 is mapped to White/Black)
[quote="asfan42069"]now that i think about it... the rev is just an emulator itself with a couple rev only titles[/quote][quote="Magus`"]THE STUPID, OH GOD IT BURNS[/quote][quote="Joe Camacho"]I'm going to print this thread and tape it on my fridge.[/quote]I missed you guys.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

thrustmasters suck royal balls, what you want for snes emulation is the thighmaster gold. it has force feedback and is large enough for a man's hands.

other than that I use muh snes usb controller, search retrousb.

but connected at all times is my sidewinder gameport controller, kicks ass.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

I use keyboard cause all joypads have shitty d-pads and I don't feel like buying an adapter for my real controllers.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]