I'm Sorry Resident Europeans

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

PFUNK
Rookie

I'm Sorry Resident Europeans

Post by PFUNK »

I think Sony just flipped your continent the bird.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Isn't that the place where you guys all import your software/hardware when it won't make it to Europe?
I'm hot for you and you're hot for me ooka dooka dicka dee.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Yeah, although I don't import regardless. Still, a very rotten move from Sony since Lin-Sang was a gamer's heaven for Europeans.

Ha. I can handle Europe being the last to get anything good, and often being initially overlooked when releases are concerned. Not long ago Sony boasted how they are going to make Europe a priority, then they delay the PS3 launch by several months. And now this.
Last edited by Agozer on Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Wow. That SUCKS. I've only imported once, and that was from Play-Asia. Hopefully those guys will stay in business.

Perhaps Lik-Sang won't dissolve completely and they might be able to win the lawsuit and recover.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

fuck
[img]http://demios.whattheboat.com/userbar/random.jpeg[/img]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well, I pretty much always buy my games off Ebay anyway but, shit, fuck you sony.

Yeah, I guess there's always Play-Asia.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

This is a load of shit by the way, blaming this on Sony. First, do you actually believe that Lik-Sang's entire business revolves around importing and exporting PSP's and PS3's? Aside from that, Sony was completely justified to act how they did in this case. Lik-Sang was given the right to distribute products within a certain region - they violated that contract with Sony and now they're closing their doors and blaming it on Sony.
It's an absurd notion to blame the failure of their business on Sony.

That said, I liked Lik-Sang and am sorry to see them go - but honestly, people need to stop looking for more reasons to bash Sony and just be happy with the 500 legitimate reasons we already have to bash them.
Lizking
Hazed

Post by Lizking »

every time Sony makes the news now, I can't shake the feeling that they somehow brought Caligula to the 21st century and made him their CEO
XFALGFM G: A YAUUSK
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

casualsax3 wrote:This is a load of shit by the way, blaming this on Sony. First, do you actually believe that Lik-Sang's entire business revolves around importing and exporting PSP's and PS3's? Aside from that, Sony was completely justified to act how they did in this case. Lik-Sang was given the right to distribute products within a certain region - they violated that contract with Sony and now they're closing their doors and blaming it on Sony.
It's an absurd notion to blame the failure of their business on Sony.

That said, I liked Lik-Sang and am sorry to see them go - but honestly, people need to stop looking for more reasons to bash Sony and just be happy with the 500 legitimate reasons we already have to bash them.
you really like sony, don't you
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

casualsax3 wrote: That said, I liked Lik-Sang and am sorry to see them go - but honestly, people need to stop looking for more reasons to bash Sony and just be happy with the 500 legitimate reasons we already have to bash them.
I hope you were being sarcastic sweener, because if not I must recommend reading comprehension courses.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the post i quoted isn't my only base for what i said
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Fucking Sony. They killed off my favorite import online store.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Lik-Sang shot themselves in their own fucking foot. End of story.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

casualsax3 wrote:Lik-Sang shot themselves in their own fucking foot. End of story.
By selling consoles for Sony? I fail to see what the problem was.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

badinsults wrote:
casualsax3 wrote:Lik-Sang shot themselves in their own fucking foot. End of story.
By selling consoles for Sony? I fail to see what the problem was.
Ditto. Why would Sony not want companies to sell their consoles?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Apparently it was due to importing consoles
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

From what I have gathered, is that, Lik-Sang was selling American/Japanese consoles to the European market, which "Aren't safe for European Standards".

Which, makes sense. Also, I can see how this affects European retailers. Lik-Sang doesn't have to pay for the taxes or regulations that they (The European retailers) have to.

I can also see how that could affect Sony, sony invests in making PS3s for Europe, but they won't sell, because there is a cheaper option. And then again, probably Blu-Ray will work like DVDs, with regions, which also isn't good for Sony.

It's the same thing here in Mx. We don't have a videogame market, because games cost around 70-100 US Dlls, and consoles cost 100-200 MORE US Dlls. When I can just travel to the US and buy games for 30-40 dlls and consoles in HUMAN prices.

It's a sucky thing for the consumer, yes. But I really think it was reasonable for Sony to do, I would have done the same.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

an import is hardly ever cheaper. although it might have been the case here, sony was still getting money from each sale. these weren't "hot" consoles.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Joe Camacho wrote:From what I have gathered, is that, Lik-Sang was selling American/Japanese consoles to the European market, which "Aren't safe for European Standards".

Which, makes sense. Also, I can see how this affects European retailers. Lik-Sang doesn't have to pay for the taxes or regulations that they (The European retailers) have to.

I can also see how that could affect Sony, sony invests in making PS3s for Europe, but they won't sell, because there is a cheaper option. And then again, probably Blu-Ray will work like DVDs, with regions, which also isn't good for Sony.

It's the same thing here in Mx. We don't have a videogame market, because games cost around 70-100 US Dlls, and consoles cost 100-200 MORE US Dlls. When I can just travel to the US and buy games for 30-40 dlls and consoles in HUMAN prices.

It's a sucky thing for the consumer, yes. But I really think it was reasonable for Sony to do, I would have done the same.
The prices were absurd here as well. Until recently games were released here at $90-$110 Canadian (on average) a piece as I mentioned in a thread before that we were talking about SNES prices. $1 Canadian goes up and down between 85 to 90 cents USD, it's at 89 atm. It's more reasonable now that they sell between $70 and $90.

As for the Jap NTSC consoles being "unsafe" in a PAL region... that's a shitty excuse on Sony's behalf. Anyone who orders a console from another country is likely well aware of the region differences.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

sweener2001 wrote:an import is hardly ever cheaper. although it might have been the case here, sony was still getting money from each sale. these weren't "hot" consoles.
Yes, but even if they sell consoles in one area, the other area would not sell enough, or at all. I mean, can someone tell me why are consoles so expensive in Europe? And a complete answer, not just "SONY ARE GREEDY FAGS LOL", because as far as I know, all consoles and software are more expensive in Europe.

I repeat, I find this way of thinking logical, although I don't endorse it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i can understand profit being taken from one area, but if Sony of Europe actually had hardware to sell at launch, they might not be facing this problem.

I just don't like how companies will throw their weight around like this. Instead of gaining profit by having all of those lik-sang sales go to them, they've basically lost any chance at getting those consumers' cash.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

sweener2001 wrote:i can understand profit being taken from one area, but if Sony of Europe actually had hardware to sell at launch, they might not be facing this problem.

I just don't like how companies will throw their weight around like this. Instead of gaining profit by having all of those lik-sang sales go to them, they've basically lost any chance at getting those consumers' cash.
Or forcing them to buy at European Stores. :?
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

sweener2001 wrote:i can understand profit being taken from one area, but if Sony of Europe actually had hardware to sell at launch, they might not be facing this problem.
While you are very right in your argument - It doesn't give Lik Sang any legal recourse when it comes to breaching contracts.
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Thanks, Sony!

Hestkuk.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

haha europe
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Joe Camacho wrote:

Or forcing them to buy at European Stores. :?
i'm going out on a limb here and saying that it wasn't available in european stores when the majority of these sales went down.

i could be wrong, i haven't looked into this much.

if sony really wants europe's money so bad, they shouldn't delay releasing their hardware or software for insane amounts of time.