Any genesis emulators with....

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

clessoulis
Regular

Any genesis emulators with....

Post by clessoulis »

The HQ3/4X graphical filter option? I think its the clearist graphical filter but i've never seen it in any genesis emulators. Are there any unoffical builds with it or something?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Kega Fusion does, but you will have to look for the filter plugins. HQ4x is not ideal here unless you really have a top of the line CPU.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

I'll see how bad the performance is. Is the reason Zsnes uses hq3x because its less processor intensive? And is the difference between 3 and 4 really so little that having the option of 4 is not worth it?

The plugin I found was Hq2x. I honestly have no clue what the numbers mean in any of them. All I remember is that they used to be called advance mame filter.
Last edited by clessoulis on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, in SVN, HQx is much more selectable. You will have to see for yourself though. Unoptimized HQ4x is heavily CPU intensive.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Yes after trying it it was hugly noticable delayed response. I was averaging around 27 fps which was playable but, hitting a button and then jumping seconds later wasnt. :( It looked beautifull and clear though.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Refer to this thread for plugins: http://tinyurl.com/3xucel
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Thanks alot. That link with all those plugins is great.

The 2xPM LQ is a great filter and very fast. Works just as good as the other LQX3 but faster. Also whats the difference between the LQ and HQ. I know ones high quality and the other is low quality but, I cant visually tell the difference. Also whats the difference between 2 3 4?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

clessoulis wrote:Thanks alot. That link with all those plugins is great.

The 2xPM LQ is a great filter and very fast. Works just as good as the other LQX3 but faster. Also whats the difference between the LQ and HQ. I know ones high quality and the other is low quality but, I cant visually tell the difference. Also whats the difference between 2 3 4?
I have no idea what the real differences are between LQ+HQ.. though I believe LQx is a bit lighter than HQx in CPU consumption (there are visual differences mind you). The difference between the levels are the increased computation for better clarity while using greater resolutions (that's what it looks like to me anyways).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

As a quick addendum, whether it is 2x or 4x, consider this is a factor of the base screen size. So when you want to use HQ2x, the min ideal/recommended resolution to use with the mode is 2x is 512x448 in the case of the SNES (base being 256x224 in most cases). If you were to use HQ2x on 1600x1200, it would look blurry, because in addition, you are stretching the image (note that the 2xSai filters don't look so good in hires). If you were to use HQ4x, you would be stretching a 1024x896 image... which would affect you less.

Also, note that you can use HQ3x with 800x600 (eg, using a lower res with a greater filter power) and you may notice it better. It's all user preference after all... I use 1024x768 w/HQ4x in ZSNES, so meh.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

LQ is slightly lower quality, but the difference is pretty minor.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

The difference is so minor and the performance difference is so high.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you pay attention to the details, it is noticable... but meh.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

It just makes me kinda wish zsnes has LQ and HQ setting options. As HQ3 does tend to make my games a little slower than fullspeed.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ZGet/SVN is your friend here IMO.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Kega Fusion's performance is really sluggish with hq(x)x filters on my pc.I can play games on zsnes with hq3x at full performance ,whereas kega fusion lags when I switch to hq2x, when I use hq3x it turns to a slideshow.
Probably because of the structure of the emulator.
I personally prefer Gens over Kega.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

Kega is much more accurate and stable than Gens, and I don't care about filters, so my choice is obvious... Plus, it has a great netplay mode.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SonGoku1905 wrote:Kega Fusion's performance is really sluggish with hq(x)x filters on my pc.I can play games on zsnes with hq3x at full performance ,whereas kega fusion lags when I switch to hq2x, when I use hq3x it turns to a slideshow.
Probably because of the structure of the emulator.
I personally prefer Gens over Kega.
That is probably because it is using the 32-bit version of the filter instead of the 16-bit one, which is much more demanding. When you are using fullscreen in ZSNES, everything switches to 16-bit (including the HQx in use). Windowed modes use the same desktop color depth (16 or 32). Kega Fusion I believe behaves like ZSNES (though I cannot speak for its fullscreen modes). Gens changes your desktop color depth to 16-bit REGARDLESS of what your current one is (this applies to both fullscreen+windowed modes). That is highly annoying IMO.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Is Kega Fusion's Genesis emulation over 95%? Because they are not making any updates anymore.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

For standard Megadrive games at least, the accuracy is almost perfect. SteveSnake is a very talented and dedicated developer.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Is Kega Fusion's Genesis emulation over 95%? Because they are not making any updates anymore.
Looks like it to me. If there's an update, it would be a while away.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Is Kega Fusion's Genesis emulation over 95%? Because they are not making any updates anymore.
Yep, it's over 95%... All games run apart from the only one that uses a special chip: Virtua Racing.
However, Street Racer got broken in the last big update... It works at first, but freezes after you finish a course or something.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

:?

Over 95%? Genecyst was probably over 95% and that old emu has been long surpased by Gens and even more so by Kega Fusion

Should rather ask if it's over 99.98%
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Golden Axe rules.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

Snark wrote:Over 95%? Genecyst was probably over 95% and that old emu has been long surpased by Gens and even more so by Kega Fusion
Actually, I doubt Genecyst could play over 95% of the games. It played almost all of the most popular games properly, but I'm pretty sure it choked on many of the more obscure ones.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Stifu wrote:
Snark wrote:Over 95%? Genecyst was probably over 95% and that old emu has been long surpased by Gens and even more so by Kega Fusion
Actually, I doubt Genecyst could play over 95% of the games. It played almost all of the most popular games properly, but I'm pretty sure it choked on many of the more obscure ones.
I was talking more about the emulation % of the actual Megadrive's components rather than the game compatibility percentage.

Another example is bsnes. It's compatibility is well over 99% but I don't think it emulates 99.99% of the base hardware yet (if only because there's no dot-based renderer yet)

Kega Fusion is probably extremely close to emulating 99.99% of the console (well it looks like that anyway).

I think it's relatively easy to quickly emulate 70-90% of the base console when you start to write your emulator. It's when you begin to reach more obscur/ less documented parts that the real hard work begins.