Update for Square Sound Rape

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Holonet
Rookie

Update for Square Sound Rape

Post by Holonet »

I've just been wondering what occurred or what progress (if any) was made with the sound chip emulation/Square sound rape issue. I remember Pagefault mentioning in a thread in 2005 somewhere that he was going to try to address this. Certainly no small task, and no complaints if it didn't go anywhere, but I've done a search in here and couldn't find much of another word about it.

I've just downloaded 1.51. I'm running an Athlon 4200+ Dual Core, 2GB of DDR2 400 RAM, GeForce 7600 GS, Gigabyte SLI motherboard. ...and also Windows XP x64 Edition (I know, I know...Curse you Microsoft).

Anyway, been out of the loop for a while (as is typical of me), and my first curiosity was if that sound issue had been helped...

Anyhoo, I have noticed some change, but the major issue still seems present. It does seem a little better in spots. I have been testing it with Chrono Trigger, which seems to be the perfect test for this problem. The beginning wind sound and such seems fine. The monster cry when you enter a battle is on; however, most of the time you just hear a fruity wail instead of the "growl" part of the sound. There are a few times when you hear it properly, which I've noticed are when there isn't music or a lot of other sound going on. A good place to try this is the canyon when you first get to 600 A.D.. It seems to me like there's a limited number of audio channels, just like with MIDI, and that monster growl takes up enough to become a problem in many spots...though that is purely analogical thinking, I'm not at all sure how it actually works.

Anyhoo, for the most part, it's pretty good, but the one test that never passes is the Heckran Cave water noise...always sounds metallic and way off, which is still true in 1.51. I'm sure there's plenty on the developer's plates, but I'm curious, what's the report on this one?
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
SoundBlaster Live! (SB0220)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The new sound core has been in the works for some time now. If you want to test it, grab the latest ZSNES revision from SVN and compile it. Or use ZGet.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

1.51 doesn't really have the new sound core. You'd have to compile from SVN (using zget or whatever you want) to test it, but be warned that it's still buggy. No bug reports are accepted for it either.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Read this before you sound stupid for not paying attention: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9526
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Sorry about that. I honestly did a search yesterday and I did not see anything with "Announcement" in front of it. Maybe I was just tired. In any case, I wasn't complaining.
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
SoundBlaster Live! (SB0220)
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Most all sound issues are fixed in 1.60.
Watering ur plants.