I want linux

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

clessoulis
Regular

I want linux

Post by clessoulis »

I want a distro that simple easy and no installing shit.

Needs to come with

aim

msn

a decent webbroswer

work with my linksys wireless card without doing shit

uses kotope cause I fucking hate gnome

come with a shit ton of video codecs and audio codecs so I dont need to
install them

come with winamp preferably

A visual aptget setup would be nice too as linux blows for simply being easy to get shit installed and function.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Beats me, sounds like you're asking for too much though.

GAIM will solve AIM+MSN issues which is generally available by many distros.

Most of them distros come with a variant of Firefox (or Konqueror if they use KDE - since you don't want Gnome, you'll probably end up using a distro that uses KDE).

Go figure with your linksys card (you will probably have to try a livecd).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Good luck. It depends on how new your computer or wireless card is. My laptop is just over a year old, and cant find a damned distro that supports my built in wireless out of the box. I think it could be one of those driver loaded firmware issues. But who knows, it may not be that bad.
Oskar_Hanberg
Starzinger Addict

Post by Oskar_Hanberg »

Kubuntu or Open Suse is the closest you'll get.
"All kinds of private exploitation is theft in the sense that what exists in this world belongs to all of us, and so called 'Intellectual property', or software, is no exception to that"
Jikmo
Hazed

Re: I want linux

Post by Jikmo »

clessoulis wrote:I want a distro that simple easy and no installing shit.

Needs to come with

aim

msn

a decent webbroswer

work with my linksys wireless card without doing shit

uses kotope cause I fucking hate gnome

come with a shit ton of video codecs and audio codecs so I dont need to
install them

come with winamp preferably

A visual aptget setup would be nice too as linux blows for simply being easy to get shit installed and function.
Then you lie. You do not want Linux. You want an operating system that does everything for you.
You also do not want Linux because Winamp is for Windows only.

And wtf is kotope? You mean KDE?
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Shrugs I ment KDE kotope is like a AIM/MSN/Yahoo messenger bundled in some distros. Free Spirer is the closest thing I can think of. It comes with all this shit. Only thing is it doesnt work with my wifi card.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Deathlike2 wrote:Beats me, sounds like you're asking for too much though.

GAIM will solve AIM+MSN issues which is generally available by many distros.
Just make sure it's the 2.0 betas, as 1.5 has serious problems with AIM and MSN, especially with file transfers and DCs.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

There aren't many distros that come with all those video codecs and stuff. Its kind of, you know, illegal.

Maybe you want an HD install of Knoppix. It has all that and a bag of chips, and the HD install ain't as bad as it sounds.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

kevman wrote:There aren't many distros that come with all those video codecs and stuff. Its kind of, you know, illegal.

Maybe you want an HD install of Knoppix. It has all that and a bag of chips, and the HD install ain't as bad as it sounds.
It really isnt that bad. Hell I even installed it to an external USB hard drive and got it to boot.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Try kbuntu. I had it running on my 3 year old laptop, dual booting with XP, and even got it to recognize my obscure Netgear 801.11a/b NIC with no trouble. I'm pretty sure it comes with Gaim, but I haven't used it, and I would imagine it comes with xmms, which is damn close to WinAmp.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Kubuntu and Ubuntu Live CD's fails to boot on my system. Linux driver support still leaves alot to be desired. At least windows can can usually boot just about anything with some generic drivers to at least get you going.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Yeah, into a text-mode interface that's pretty much DOS.

I wonder why they fail to boot on your system. I've placed those CDs into the most cockeyed systems you have ever seen and they boot right up. I've also only ever used two pieces of hardware that don't have Linux support; my laptop's webcam and a shitty WLAN NIC I have. Everything else I've ever used works fine.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nightcrawler wrote:Kubuntu and Ubuntu Live CD's fails to boot on my system. Linux driver support still leaves alot to be desired. At least windows can can usually boot just about anything with some generic drivers to at least get you going.
I get the feeling it may be a hardware combo issue.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

clessoulis wrote:Shrugs I ment KDE kotope is like a AIM/MSN/Yahoo messenger bundled in some distros. Free Spirer is the closest thing I can think of. It comes with all this shit. Only thing is it doesnt work with my wifi card.
That would be kopete and Freespire.

also
AntoineWG wrote:Try kbuntu. I had it running on my 3 year old laptop, dual booting with XP, and even got it to recognize my obscure Netgear 801.11a/b NIC with no trouble. I'm pretty sure it comes with Gaim, but I haven't used it, and I would imagine it comes with xmms, which is damn close to WinAmp.
if it doesn't come with either, you can always use Synaptec or do sudo apt-get install gaim
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
soulmata
Regular

Re: I want linux

Post by soulmata »

Jikmo wrote: Then you lie. You do not want Linux. You want an operating system that does everything for you.

Jikmo wins.

Flawless victory.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Jikmo recomends OSX then.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:Jikmo recomends OSX then.
lol wat?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Kubuntu and Ubuntu Live CD's fails to boot on my system. Linux driver support still leaves alot to be desired. At least windows can can usually boot just about anything with some generic drivers to at least get you going.
I get the feeling it may be a hardware combo issue.
Probably. Both Kubuntu and Ubuntu crash in a similar manner. By the way, I've also tried all the other boot options listed in help for alternate booting. No change.

It looks like as soon as the Desktop environment starts after the startup screen(similar to XP's with the animated bar) it crashes with a small collection of garbage pixels in the center of the screen. That's a blank light blue screen for Kubuntu and a tan/brown blank screen for Ubuntu.

I suspect video hardware, but I really don't know.

Hardware:
Abit AN8 Ultra
AMD X2 3800+
Nvidia Geforce 6800
Creative X-Fi
Western Digital Serial ATA 320G HD
Western Digital IDE 80G HD
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

power supply?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

Deathlike2 wrote:
funkyass wrote:Jikmo recomends OSX then.
lol wat?
I do?

Actually... probably. Sounds like it'd suit him. He'd even be able to act all high and mighty because he'd be running a *nix that's obviously superior to Windows and even better than Linux or FreeBSD since it's easy to use and has better marketshare. Not to mention that I hear that having OSX immediately makes you a Linux guru.

In all seriousness though, I like OSX except for the glaring flaws of the kernel, difficulty to fix what's you may need to fix by hand, and poor hardware support (at least on my computer since I'm using an HP laptop with a fairly low end ATI video card)
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

franpa wrote:power supply?
Antec NeoHE 430W which has run the system great for a year and a half. It has power distributed in all the right places. The voltage lines are stable and never falter. Runs rings around the 500W supply that came with the case originally. I don't see how the power supply is related.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Try the SimplyMEPIS LiveCD

Feel the kick! :D