Regarding the Patching FAQ... Help?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Peaches
Rookie

Regarding the Patching FAQ... Help?

Post by Peaches »

Alright, I downloaded a japanese version of ToP that was obviously without the header(it was 6,291,456 bytes in size), so I downloaded the SnesTool and followed the instructions that are on the sticky you provided for making a header and patching the rom. I've done everything the readme said when I downloaded the SnesTool, along with the the .txt file for the Dejap final patch, and still, I keep getting a black screen every time I try to run it once it has a header and has been patched.

I'm terribly unfamiliar with all this, but I really want to play ToP fully translated, so if there is anyone that can give me a basic, 'Patching Roms for Dummies' explanation, I would be very grateful.

Here's what I've been trying. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
  • Downloaded the Final patch for ToP on the Dejap website, along with a Japanese rom, and the SnesTool for making a header and to patch my rom.
  • Extracted all the files into one folder.
  • Opened the SnesTool, and selected 'add header'.
  • Chose the rom to make the header for (I have no idea why it asks about an ihom file and the whether I want static ram, so perhaps that's the key?), of which it said it made one successfully (the rom became the proper size of 6,291,968 bytes).
  • Then I went to 'use ips' and selected the TOP_GD7L.IPS file (should I have tried another file, and if so, which one?), of which it said the patch was ok(?).*
  • Opened Zsnes and loaded the file, of which ended up in the black screen. Please help me out here!
*Note: It says in the .txt file for the patch that I need to make sure whether or not my rom is an 'interleaved' or a 'non-interleaved' rom. How would I be able to find this out? They mention a format conversion program, but I am clueless as to where or how I can use them to know what this roms' properties are.

Any assistence on this matter would be phenomenally appreciated! Thanks!
Paul Bunyan
Lumberjack

Post by Paul Bunyan »

It's been a while since I hard patched my ToP, but I think you needed 2 patches.
It is my job to teach the dumb.
[url=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/]Free Antivirus Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/]Free Adware Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html]Free Spyware Scanner[/url]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Paul Bunyan wrote:It's been a while since I hard patched my ToP, but I think you needed 2 patches.
You don't need it with Dejap's final patch.
Instead of hard patching, why don't you just name the patch and the rom "ToP" and let Zsnes softpatch it?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

How do you 'softpatch' then? Does it just... do everything for me?
Joe Camacho wrote: You don't need it with Dejap's final patch.
Instead of hard patching, why don't you just name the patch and the rom "ToP" and let Zsnes softpatch it?
But there are four seperate files for the patch. Four different ips files. Which one would be the right file to rename?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Read the text file coming with the 4 patches.

I'm not telling you anything else.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

I did read it, thoroughly. It just didn't make sense to me. Right here, specifically...
How to Patch
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The patch requires an original Japanese rom with a 512 byte header, making it 6,291,968 bytes in size. If the rom is only 6,291,456 bytes, it does not have a header.
Got that. I have to make a header for the rom.
Included are patches for both the interleaved and non-interleaved roms. Use the format conversion programs to determine if your rom is interleaved or not.
What are these elusive 'format conversion programs' you speak of? That would be a good thing to know.
The patch has to be applied to the rom using a patching program (you can find one here http://rpgd.emulationworld.com/utils/snestl12.zip).If necessary, add a header to the rom first (with that same program).
Yes, I downloaded it, but when I make a header for the rom, it asks me questions such as 'hirom file y/n?' and 'disable static ram y/n?'. How should I answer these?
Next, use the program to apply 1 of the patches. Most of the time you'll need to use the tope_gd7?.ips patch, but in some cases the rom isn't interleaved so you'll need to use the tope_dx2?.ips patch instead. Do not apply all patches! If the first patch doesn't work, try the second patch but use the original rom (not the one you just patched).
I did all this several times, even with trying to answer the questions I did not expect about the hirom files as yes or no, and nothing worked.
I just need answers to these elementary questions:
Peaches wrote:What are these elusive 'format conversion programs' you speak of?
Peaches wrote:Yes, I downloaded it, but when I make a header for the rom, it asks me questions such as 'hirom file y/n?' and 'disable static ram y/n?'. How should I answer these?
Along with anything else that I may have missed, it's as simple as that.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Ok, I have for you an easier method, ok?

1) Get your ToP (with a header) and one of the .ips that corresponds to your rom (Open the rom with the latest WIP, when it loads, some letters describing the rom will appear, if it is interleaved or not, the text will show it.)

2) Get your Rom and the .ips, and change their names so they have the same name (For example: Top.smc and Top.ips)

3) Place the Rom in your rom folder, and the .ips file where you keep your .srms or saves (By default, they are kept with your roms, so place them together.)

4) Boot up Zsnes and it will "SoftPatch" it, enjoy.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

Joe Camacho wrote:Ok, I have for you an easier method, ok?

1) Get your ToP (with a header) and one of the .ips that corresponds to your rom (Open the rom with the latest WIP, when it loads, some letters describing the rom will appear, if it is interleaved or not, the text will show it.)

2) Get your Rom and the .ips, and change their names so they have the same name (For example: Top.smc and Top.ips)

3) Place the Rom in your rom folder, and the .ips file where you keep your .srms or saves (By default, they are kept with your roms, so place them together.)

4) Boot up Zsnes and it will "SoftPatch" it, enjoy.
Where can I find ToP with a header? Is there anywhere I can go? Anything I could type up in a search engine, or anyone who may be able to send it to me? I've been looking all day and only found the partially translated rom for download, aside from the one Japanese one I have.
And thank you very much for your help!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You can create a header with NSRT using the -addhead switch.

I'd suggest also looking through NSRT's fixing options.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

I tried NSRT, and it didn't run for me. Is it because I have windows XP? I don't know why it didn't run myself. I downloaded the windows version.
I'm having very bad luck with all this, but thank you all for your suggestions.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

Joe Camacho wrote:(1) Get your ToP (with a header) and one of the .ips that corresponds to your rom (Open the rom with the latest WIP...
Oh, and what on earth is a WIP? XD
Edit: Sorry for the double-post. That was a slip-up. Believe me, I run a forum, so I know how annoying it can be.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Peaches wrote:I tried NSRT, and it didn't run for me. Is it because I have windows XP? I don't know why it didn't run myself. I downloaded the windows version.
I'm having very bad luck with all this, but thank you all for your suggestions.
It does run in Windows XP as it's a Windows binary. You can use the GUI version or the commandline version.

WIP = Work In Progress. has truckloads of bugfixes and new features compred to the latest 1.36 official release. You can check the ZSNES changelog on my site to get a rundown of the changes.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

Yeah, I've been using Zsnes for a long time, so I'm up to date on the changes, I've just never had to translate a rom before, and seeing as I was really enjoying Tales of Phantasia, I really want to know what to do/how to get it!
If anyone can point me in the direction of a japanese rom (with a header) of Tales of Phantasia, I'd be able to play again already. XD
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Peaches wrote: If anyone can point me in the direction of a japanese rom (with a header) of Tales of Phantasia, I'd be able to play again already. XD
This site is quite awesome if you're looking for games.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's against the rules to ask roms, romsite urls, e-mails of romsites urls, and so on.

I thought your name was familiar... Are you P e a c h e s from the nexgear forums ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

You can always use NSRT or SNESTool to add a header to a headerless ROM--if you've got a ROM without a header, it's as simple as mashing a few commands.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

grinvader wrote:It's against the rules to ask roms, romsite urls, e-mails of romsites urls, and so on.

I thought your name was familiar... Are you P e a c h e s from the nexgear forums ?
No, I'm not. I don't even know what nexgear is. And I know it was against the rules, I was asking if someone could give me something to look for on a search engine, or if there is anyone I can contact who could send me the ToP rom with the header. I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear.
Apparently, a lot of people have been mixing me up with another person named Peaches, who visits many forums, but I only have that forum name on my site and no other. My name is Peaches, so that's what I used for my forum name.
ThunderClaw wrote:You can always use NSRT or SNESTool to add a header to a headerless ROM--if you've got a ROM without a header, it's as simple as mashing a few commands.
Yes, like I've said twice already, I've attempted to use the SNESTool several times, but how should I answer the questions 'hirom file y/n?' and 'disable static ram y/n?'. Those two questions have been very problematic for me.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

Peaches wrote: Yes, like I've said twice already, I've attempted to use the SNESTool several times, but how should I answer the questions 'hirom file y/n?' and 'disable static ram y/n?'. Those two questions have been very problematic for me.
Back when I screwed with the headers for about 15 minutes when I was applying the ToP patch, I answered yes, no, and the patch worked.

To be totally honest, I'm not certain how much difference it makes.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
Paul Bunyan
Lumberjack

Post by Paul Bunyan »

I distinctly remember being able to find pre-patched ToP ROMs. Maybe you should go get one.
It is my job to teach the dumb.
[url=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/]Free Antivirus Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/]Free Adware Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html]Free Spyware Scanner[/url]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Paul Bunyan wrote:I distinctly remember being able to find pre-patched ToP ROMs. Maybe you should go get one.
Yeah, most rom image sites that have full GoodSNES sets carry prepatched images; even the different version of the translations.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

Really? I've looked all around, and only found one Japanese one, which was without a header, and I've visited all the rom sites I can think of.
If one of you want to pm me with some information on how to aquire one with a header, I'd be most grateful.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

ThunderClaw wrote:To be totally honest, I'm not certain how much difference it makes.
If you're planning on using an emulator to play the game, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

Joe Camacho wrote:(Open the rom with the latest WIP, when it loads, some letters describing the rom will appear, if it is interleaved or not, the text will show it.)
All it says at the bottom when I run the Japanese ToP (now with a successful header, I think), is this: "TALES OF PHANTASIA TYPE:NRM CHSUM:OK"
Does anyone know what ips file that means I have to use in order to patch it successfully? Is it the non-interleaved, interleaved, and does the uppercase or lowercase 8x8 even matter?
Last edited by Peaches on Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Louis Cypher wrote:
ThunderClaw wrote:To be totally honest, I'm not certain how much difference it makes.
If you're planning on using an emulator to play the game, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Exactly. The header is ignored by emulators. It is only used for copiers. For the purpose of patching a game, you can slap 512 bytes of whatever you want at the beginning and it will work.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Peaches
Rookie

Post by Peaches »

WOOHOO! I GOT IT TO WORK! XD
Thank you all very much for your help! You've been very patient with me. Thank you thank you thank you. XD