Sticky M.A.M.E thread?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Snark
Trooper

Sticky M.A.M.E thread?

Post by Snark »

No much MAME love 'round here.Does no one uses it or what?Anyway, I figure you could add a sticky for the big Man.

Relatively recent MAME development:

-CPS2 protection REd. No more XORs. (old)

-Amazing RE work on Sega Model2 hardware

-Improvment on Model1 (by-product of the Model2 work I think) Virtua Racing works (playable full speed if you have a fast box)

-Rare Sega game (Combat Hawk) which ran on the same hardware as Bank Panic (one of my favorite) found.

edit: On second thought, I don't want to have some sort of "duty" to check for MAME news, wips, Ureleases and official releases because I'm the thread starter...So unless various people would contribute, it's best not to sticky the thread I guess.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

I'm also into mame and I agree it needs a sticky but I don't think such thing will happen unless more people that are into Mame come out...

I'm using Mameplus because of its graphic filters and stuff and my favourite version is 0.108, i found that it works best with my system and roms...
What I'm really looking forward to is good emulation of zinc games like soul blade and rival schools
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

Don't really see a reason as people can always check the MAME boards, mamedev.org, or mameworld.net, as well as a variety of other sites for all their MAME needs.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

people can also do that any of the other emulators that have a sticky. moot
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Also for those that don't know it yet, (Probability 5%). MAME is available for Windows on 4 versions:
MAME Command line. (For those who care about it.)
MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

There could be other versions but these 4 are the most important ones and the 3 32 versions are the most popular ones. There are rumors about a 64 bit version called MAME 64 but this is just a rumor.
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: Sticky M.A.M.E thread?

Post by creaothceann »

Snark wrote:-Improvment on Model1 (by-product of the Model2 work I think) Virtua Racing works (playable full speed if you have a fast box)
Is that the cartridge or the arcade system?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Re: Sticky M.A.M.E thread?

Post by SonGoku1905 »

creaothceann wrote:
Snark wrote:-Improvment on Model1 (by-product of the Model2 work I think) Virtua Racing works (playable full speed if you have a fast box)
Is that the cartridge or the arcade system?
Arcade system I believe
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Also for those that don't know it yet, (Probability 5%). MAME is available for Windows on 3 versions:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

There could be other versions but these 3 are the most important ones. There are rumors about a 64 bit version called MAME 64 but this is just a rumor.
MAME is also available for windows FROM THE MAME TEAM.
http://www.mame.net/downmain.html

Just because you're too big of a sissy to use a command-line doesn't mean there's no such thing as an official Windows build.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:Also for those that don't know it yet, (Probability 5%). MAME is available for Windows on 3 versions:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

There could be other versions but these 3 are the most important ones. There are rumors about a 64 bit version called MAME 64 but this is just a rumor.

Just because you're too big of a sissy to use a command-line doesn't mean there's no such thing as an official Windows build.
32 versions > Command line.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

SonGoku1905 wrote:I'm using Mameplus because of its graphic filters and stuff and my favourite version is 0.108, i found that it works best with my system and roms...
What I'm really looking forward to is good emulation of zinc games like soul blade and rival schools
Please elaborate on the "works best on my system and roms" part. I really can't understand your reluctance to upgrade otherwise, seeing how much emulation improvements and romset updates MAME has had since 0.108.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

MAME32 versions = late and locked to a crappy GUI.

Anyways, as MAME32 builds use the official Windows version code, I think the official Windows version is far more important, even if it's less popular due to rampant sissy-fication of emulation users.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Agozer wrote:
SonGoku1905 wrote:I'm using Mameplus because of its graphic filters and stuff and my favourite version is 0.108, i found that it works best with my system and roms...
Please elaborate on the "works best on my system and roms" part. I really can't understand your reluctance to upgrade otherwise, seeing how much emulation improvements and romset updates MAME has had since 0.108.
If you paid attention to any of his posts, he prefers the filters instead of the improvements to emulation.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

Anyways, as MAME32 builds use the official Windows version code, I think the official Windows version is far more important, even if it's less popular due to rampant sissy-fication of emulation users.
There's various frontends for the command line version.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Agozer wrote:
If you paid attention to any of his posts, he prefers the filters instead of the improvements to emulation.
Uh yeah, but the filters are still there even after he's upgraded to the latest version of MAME.

Maybe I'm just missing the important tidbits...

I use MAME32 Plus! myself because it has a few BIOS options that are not present in "normal" MAME builds + some miscellaneous tweaks here and there. It also comes with the commandline version, so that's a good addition as well.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

Add another vote for a MAME sticky. That last release was amazing and it really deserves to be acknowledged. Virtua Racing is perfectly playable and even for someone who hasn't played it much in the arcade it's great to see it emulated and there's plenty of others who would agree. The model 2 progress is great, but Model 2 Emulator 0.4 does a decent job with all the games, but Daytona has issues with the steering control that aren't seen in other games like Indy 500 (atleast for me).

Also, I prefer MAME32 because the GUI is perfectly fine IMO and I'm fine with waiting a few hours / days for the new release. Yeah, I can use a command line but fact is, it's inconvient when it comes to switching games. The nice GUI of options doesn't hurt either. Just my opinion though.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I'm a MAME-o-holic, so I add my support to this thread. I carry multiple versions of the emulator and am always upgrading, it would be nice to have some discussion on this board as I never really got into the MAME board.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Agozer wrote:
What I meant was when I try a higher build than it , the emulator doesn't see more than %30 of my games, and I get laggy performance with 2xsai turned on with neogeo games (the only ones I apply it btw).
I think roms are also upgraded and needs to add new files to zips, but since the systems I most play runs great with good performance, and %100 compatibility I'm satisfied with it.
The newest version isn't always the best i believe and I also see lots of people recommending 0.107-108 on Mame boards.They may have a point, just like lots of people use 6-7 years old versions of winamp and they really have a point in doing so , isn't it ? :wink:
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

Yeah, I don't have any problems if someone prefers to use one of the derivative 32 builts but it's silly to say "MAME32 pwnnns MAME" or "MAME32 > Command line MAME" ....all the unofficial builts are just that: MAME with a few extra features slapped on it. Without the official built, there is no MAME32-FX-etc. I'm not necessarily talking in this particular case, but generally speaking, there's a lot of users who don't seem to realise that.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There gets to a point that 32 may just be 1 too many.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

alexz721 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

There's various frontends for the command line version.
I actually use one(Emuloader, though I really liked ArcadeOS for it's pixely feel and I wish it was still around). I have too many games to remember which ones I have anymore.
I still do most of my config via .ini editing, though. Notepad, whee!

I've got a long-standing hatred for MAME32, going way back to when they were rewriting the DOS version to make a Win32 build, and locked out several games because they didn't realize some of them existed.
Looks like they may have reworked the GUI, but I'm not going to register with FilePlanet just to find out.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Also for those that don't know it yet, (Probability 5%). MAME is available for Windows on 4 versions:
MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

There could be other versions but these 4 are the most important ones and the 3 32 versions are the most popular ones. There are rumors about a 64 bit version called MAME 64 but this is just a rumor.
mame32QA :)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

franpa wrote:mame32QA :)
MAME32QA wrote:Mame32QA is the home of Mame32.
:?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Damn you all, now I have to locate my roms and a new mame.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Also for those that don't know it yet, (Probability 5%). MAME is available for Windows on 4 versions:
MAME32
MAME32 FX
MAME32 Plus

Cute edit.
I like how you give in and add the most important one of them all, but immediately add a parenthetical note running it down to say it really ISN'T relevant.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Hey, we actually got a good MAME discussion going on here for once. :)

I'm not going to go around stickying this just yet, but if people want to post MAME news in this topic and there's more general interesting in MAME stuff, then why not.