ZSNES 1.51 Released!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:if people really are bitching about it so much would it bet that hard to create an option either way? I really don't care, I mean, hell it's you emulator.
who's "bitching" about it?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Btw. the DirectColor bug (link) is still present, but now it looks like this (pic, right one is how it looks now). Happens with both engines.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Haven't had time to get to that yet, will try before next release.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

franpa wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:if people really are bitching about it so much would it bet that hard to create an option either way? I really don't care, I mean, hell it's you emulator.
jez pretty clearly was but that is irrelevent now, since both options will be available.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:
franpa wrote:
jez pretty clearly was but that is irrelevent now, since both options will be available.
oh, sorry for that then :)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
deathtok
Hazed

always great

Post by deathtok »

Thanks again for another excellent release! ZSNES has come so far over the years and keeps getting better.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

FitzRoy wrote:Just look at the two biggest sega emulators with their annoying RF signal bullshit.
I think they do this because many Sega games have to simulate transparency by using checkerboard (Quackshot) or vertical line overlays (Sonic). The SNES has real transparency.
Instead, I feel like I'm being faced with an "are you sure?" pop-up every time I load a rom, because I load every rom with the obvious intention of running it.
This is probably a half-thought way of being sure that you don't lose a game in progress. I wrote a NES emulator and handled this issue in a much less annoying way. If you open a ROM but never use the Save menu item, it won't bother you when you open another ROM, so you can easily try a bunch of different games without being bothered. If you have made a save file and played the game for ten or more seconds since you last saved, then opening another ROM will give you the options of canceling, saving the game before loading the ROM, or loading it without saving. In other words, it works like a normal document editing application.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

blargg wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:Just look at the two biggest sega emulators with their annoying RF signal bullshit.
I think they do this because many Sega games have to simulate transparency by using checkerboard (Quackshot) or vertical line overlays (Sonic). The SNES has real transparency.
Instead, I feel like I'm being faced with an "are you sure?" pop-up every time I load a rom, because I load every rom with the obvious intention of running it.
This is probably a half-thought way of being sure that you don't lose a game in progress. I wrote a NES emulator and handled this issue in a much less annoying way. If you open a ROM but never use the Save menu item, it won't bother you when you open another ROM, so you can easily try a bunch of different games without being bothered. If you have made a save file and played the game for ten or more seconds since you last saved, then opening another ROM will give you the options of canceling, saving the game before loading the ROM, or loading it without saving. In other words, it works like a normal document editing application.
nice, working out human error is good, I've lost progress numerous times because of dumb accidents.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The Super Metroid ending shows some garbled tiles in the first row. (picture, zst)
Is this a known bug? It's been there for a while, afaik...

Code: Select all

File: Super Metroid (J,U).zip Header: No
Super Metroid             TYPE:NORMAL   
INTERLEAVED:No               CHKSUM:OK  
VIDEO:NTSC    BANK:Lo     CRC32:D63ED5F8
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It's been fixed already.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Great, thanks :)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Yeah it was caused by a problem in the timing of scanline 0 combined with how gfx engine cashes lines. But it should be all good now.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

FitzRoy wrote:
While testing bsnes, I noticed that most games actually use the last line to display information and very few show garbage there. And it's very, very rare that the garbage will actually prove annoying during gameplay or be a permanent neon fixation. That's simply a bug in zsnes. In my opinion, a cut off feature or anything that tries to simulate overscan is totally unnecessary. Not only because of the fact that so few games have these so called border issues, but because CRT tv technology has absolutely nothing to do with actual SNES output. Most developers were smart enough to realize that overscan varied GREATLY depending on the tv, so it was smarter to simply draw the entire area and eliminate any chance of a crt tv displaying a black border beside the image.

If people are so bothered by this crt crap in general, how about buying a tv with a composite input and running the video card to a tube? Or how about getting one of those really old crt monitors with the curved screens and manually inflating the display area to effectuate overscan? Trying to simulate this stuff on a modern flat screen, progressive computer monitor always ends up looking like shit in comparison. I don't know when this fad got started in emulation, but it's getting out of hand. Just look at the two biggest sega emulators with their annoying RF signal bullshit. The gaming experience just wouldn't be complete without emulating the most notoriously annoying tv signal, would it? And how about these emulators with the "Machine" in the menu. An emulator is not a machine. There are processes that can and should be simplified. It's just silly to have to turn on "the machine" after loading a rom. Is clicking a computer mouse twice as much somehow more nostalgic? I'm sorry, but I don't have the imagination of a six year old to pretend that I am operating a real system. Instead, I feel like I'm being faced with an "are you sure?" pop-up every time I load a rom, because I load every rom with the obvious intention of running it.
Amen!

I feel exactly the same way and I grew up on bubble-screen crt's with inflated image scanning. I'd also like to point out that way back when I used to play on a real NES and SNES, I had a Sony Trinitron TV. I found the service code that allowed me to change the scanning size from within the set, and indeed the NES DID in fact send all 240 scanlines in an NTSC format. That's why I always force 240 scanlines in NES emulators like nestopia. As for the SNES, I simply adjusted the set's scanning size to exactly fit the image. I was a big fan of Sony TV's after learning how to use the service code from the remote.
HunterKiller_
Hazed

Post by HunterKiller_ »

Thanks Zsnes team. :D
HunterKiller
<========]----+
Cool_Hylian
Rookie

Post by Cool_Hylian »

:lol: With each release, new bugs fixed :P :shock: :roll:
Hyrule is cool.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

for shame! hath no one tried zelda 3 yet? when the three spinning triforces come together, they stop spinning and slowly join together while not rotating. try it, I've never seen an emu with such a disgrace to zelda!

p.s. I still love zsnes, even if it's not perfect.

p.p.s. I would vote to remove the last line. even though the snes shows it, tvs would crop it. I have never seen a solid line at the bottom of my snes while playing it. only 0.0001% of people would ever even ask that it be shown, while the rest would rather it not be drawn.

<3 <3 <3
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

phOnYmIkE wrote:p.p.s. I would vote to remove the last line. even though the snes shows it, tvs would crop it. I have never seen a solid line at the bottom of my snes while playing it. only 0.0001% of people would ever even ask that it be shown, while the rest would rather it not be drawn.
Try bsnes, or any other snes emulator for that matter. Many games I tried do show a continuation of the screen in that line.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

phOnYmIkE wrote:for shame! hath no one tried zelda 3 yet? when the three spinning triforces come together, they stop spinning and slowly join together while not rotating. try it, I've never seen an emu with such a disgrace to zelda!
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ight=zelda

and that last line is going to eventually be fixed =) 'nuff said.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

creaothceann wrote: EDIT: The "about" window still says that there's a "license.txt", but it's not in the release... :wink: [complaint]
Y'Know, I just noticed this. WTH are you talking about? Of course it's in the release. If you can't find it, you either need glasses, or learn how to navigate a zip file.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by creaothceann »

I asked in that thread if the content was different from "\zsnesw151\docs\readme.htm\index.htm\Navigation\License" ...
Q-Marine wrote:Yes, the license.htm is about one third longer.
Didn't check that though.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
byuu

Post by byuu »

EMu-LoRd wrote:Try bsnes, or any other snes emulator for that matter. Many games I tried do show a continuation of the screen in that line.
Thanks, but you're wasting your time. If he didn't read the explanation of why the line should be there the first twelve times we all went over it, he won't read your response either. Or perhaps he is reading it, but just not processing it at all. Who knows.

However, lucky for us he knows how everyone in the world feels, and can tell us exactly how many people would and would not benefit from seeing the extra line. Since he clearly indicates that literally only one in a million people will appreciate the extra line, we may as well remove it, right? Problem solved.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

creaothceann wrote:I asked in that thread if the content was different from "\zsnesw151\docs\readme.htm\index.htm\Navigation\License" ...
Q-Marine wrote:Yes, the license.htm is about one third longer.
Didn't check that though.
\zsnesw151\docs\readme.txt\license.txt has the same content as \zsnesw151\docs\readme.htm\license.htm The HTML one is 30% larger in file size due to added markup.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by creaothceann »

I see.

Well, sorry for much ado about nothing then.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

byuu wrote:However, lucky for us he knows how everyone in the world feels, and can tell us exactly how many people would and would not benefit from seeing the extra line. Since he clearly indicates that literally only one in a million people will appreciate the extra line, we may as well remove it, right? Problem solved.
Either that, or add the line properly like you have, and then nobody would probably even notice. I'm all for the line 8)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I don't even see why people call it "adding" and "extra 'line'" honestly, you are just displaying the entire screen area, why not? a lot of games there is no such 'line' it just continues the last segment of the game screen.