Cleaning a laptop screen.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Cleaning a laptop screen.

Post by Joe Camacho »

Guys, I need help cleaning a laptop screen. First of all, I DIDN'T DO IT, but instead of telling you the horrible story involving retardness and kool-aid, my laptop's screen is dirty.

What's the best way of cleaning a laptop screen with regular household items? If there is no way, what do I need to buy to clean it?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Spray some glass cleaner on a clean soft cloth. Gently wipe the screen with the cloth. Do not spray anything directly on the screen.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

AntoineWG wrote:Spray some glass cleaner on a clean soft cloth. Gently wipe the screen with the cloth. Do not spray anything directly on the screen.
I have used this one, but I have read that the ammonia in glass cleaner can hurt the protective coating on the screen, I have heard that a 50% combination of rubbing alcohol and water works pretty well.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

SquareHead wrote:
AntoineWG wrote:Spray some glass cleaner on a clean soft cloth. Gently wipe the screen with the cloth. Do not spray anything directly on the screen.
I have used this one, but I have read that the ammonia in glass cleaner can hurt the protective coating on the screen, I have heard that a 50% combination of rubbing alcohol and water works pretty well.
Use ammonia-free glass cleaner? You can tell it's ammonia-free if it doesn't smell like piss.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

AntoineWG wrote:Do not spray anything directly on the screen.
I have to say, this is the most important instruction right here though.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

If it's just kool-aid, why not plain ol' water on a soft cloth?
bringing Zsnes back
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Are there different methods for LCD and CRT screens?

My crt and HP laptop LCD screen could do witha scrubbing.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Same method. Alcohol or glass cleaner sprayed on a cloth first.

I've never had a problem with amonia-based glass cleaner on any monitor.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Windex has ammonia, for what it's worth. CRT's are brutally durable - windex them just as you would a window or a TV - LCD's on the other hand are not - a soft cloth with water is your best bet, or go out and buy some LCD screen wipes.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

casualsax3 wrote:or go out and buy some LCD screen wipes.
All those are really are alcohol based wetnaps.
soulmata
Regular

Post by soulmata »

wetnaps already have alcohol in them

like others have said, isoprpyl + warm water is a sure thing
[url=http://whattheboat.com]whattheboat.com : [b]still not dead[/b][/url]
[url=http://playithardcore.com]playithardcore.com: we are better at games than you[/url]

Join boat web IRC and talk to boaters: [url]http://irc.whatthebert.com/[/url]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

So, if I want to make the alcohol and water mixture, exactly how do I do it? half alcohol and half water or what?

Thanks for the replies.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Joe Camacho wrote:So, if I want to make the alcohol and water mixture, exactly how do I do it? half alcohol and half water or what?

Thanks for the replies.
About like that. Go and buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol, check the % on the bottle, some are 70, some are 90, and even some I think as high as 99. Just adjust how much water you mix with.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

I typically wipe off the plastic lcd screens with coffee filters. If you think about it for a second, would people put up with lint in their coffee?

Anyways, coffee filter and water. Maybe put some hand soap on it to get sticky stuff off easier.

As for alcohol, pfft. I wouldn't make a special trip for that. Isopropanol is great for getting heatsink paste off of chips, however.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

water + soft cloth / clean shirt, rub gently. there has never been a spec on an LCD that I could not 100% remove with my own spit and t-shirt, but for professional results use water and cloth that is not covering your body.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]