Directory Recovery

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

AntoineWG
Trooper

Directory Recovery

Post by AntoineWG »

I need a program that is able to repair a bad sector containing a directory on a FAT32 disk. The data files are still there but the directory entry is corrupted and unreadable. The files don't show up as lost in scandisk or undelete programs because they're still acounted for in the FAT. The only program I've found that will even find the directory is Active Partition Recovery, but that keeps bombing on me while reading the directory contents (there's a few thousand small files in it) and won't recover it. NDD can't find anything wrong with the disk and Norton Undelete can't recover the folder because something else is using that sector, but it won't say what.

Any ideas? I need to recover this data. The last good backup I have is from Thursday. For some reason the last backup didn't work and it crashed in the middle of last night's backup. HELP!!!
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

BadCopy was able to recover files of mine from a disk that about half a dozen other programs wouldn't, and which I had pretty much given up on. It's not free, but it has a trial version that lets you preview the recovered files (without actually letting you save them). It has all sorts of different recovery modes, so you have to experiment a bit.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

You can also try 'PC Inspector FileRecovery' and 'Recuva' (both freeware)
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Way to commit thread necromancy, kick. This thread is from over a month ago. I tried a bunch of stuff but couldn't recover all of the data and had to go back to the last good backup.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]