ZSNES for Intel Mac ready for consumption!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It may be expecting a specific lib version and/or you are missing the lib altogether. The former sounds like the answer.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
MatthewCallis

Post by MatthewCallis »

Deathlike2 wrote:It may be expecting a specific lib version and/or you are missing the lib altogether. The former sounds like the answer.
It is supposed to be in the app bundle as the SDL.framework and not linked statically to dylib in a directory that's not included on the default (up-to-date) OS X install.
You need to fix the build step and change how it's linked. It kinda seems like it's a debug build, as SDL.framework isn't even in a 'Frameworks' folder. Reference hectors build for the correct steps.
This will help in the long run so you don't have OS X users who don't know how to use the terminal and can't find their log to use

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /Library/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL /opt/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
just to get it to work.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

For the record, no dev is able to build for OS X, but we can attempt to fix it. Krade is around to build+test it, so you would have to address it with him just so you know.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Krade
Rookie

Post by Krade »

Yeah, that's what I thought, I linked something I shouldn't dynamically. I'll fix it once I get home (or when I find a power supply).

Sorry about that. Gotta love incompetence.

EDIT: D'oh! That's not the problem, it should be able to find the libSDL dynamic library just fine. I just read your posts and you're right. I moved the framework outside of the Frameworks folder at one point when I was building the dmg image and forgot to put it back. The process I was using to making the DMG was following the symlinks inside the .app and copying everything, making duplicates of all the stuff, so I moved the framework out and put it back manually in the end. I put the in the wrong folder when I was doing that.

I'll fix it once I get a couple of minutes of free time.

EDIT #2: Oh, forget it, on top of that; I linked against the wrong libSDL. There goes another 20 minutes worth of another --enable-release compile.

EDIT #3: Sorry, I'm a longtime Linux user, new to OS X. Turns out linking to shared libs is OS X is a lot different. That, and the (non-MacPorts) SDL installation should also include an sdl-config script and the compiled libSDLmain.a, but whatever... I have the problem fixed, it now links against the SDL framework properly instead of the libSDL I had installed with MacPorts. I'd --enable-release it and upload it right now, but I don't think my battery would make it. Once I can sit down for a while near a power supply, I'll do it.

EDIT #4: Uploaded a new dmg to http://www.krade.com/zsnes/ZSNES-1.51.dmg . This time I tested it on another Intel Mac, I happened to be right next to a guy who just bought a MacBook when I was compiling this.
tehnick
Hazed

Post by tehnick »

Just wanted to say, Krade's build is the best of ZSNES for OS X I've seen since this project started. The major OpenGL problems that were present before seem to be gone and no issues as of yet. I'm using a 17" iMac with Intel Core Duo (ATi X1600).. Mac OS X 10.4.8.
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

My bad on that one.

Well, not actually.

Unexpected hard drive crash and personal mental issues aren't exactly something I should be blaming myself for.

Well, preliminary work on getting it going under OS X again (with the Terminal. I figure that Xcode out some day. I promise!):
  • The configure script does not work anymore. One of the reasons is because OS X comes with bash 2.05b, which does not support adding on to variables with a += operator (the oldschool BLAH="$BLAH asdf" style still works). I could install a newer bash, but I prefer my bash-completion working the way it is now.
  • The other problem is that after the SDL_CFLAGS are added to CFLAGS, the configure tests do not have the "SDL.h" header included that uses macros to change main() to SDL_main(), so they get a nice "multiply defined symbol" error from ld. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get around that....
Only a couple screws loose.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

BRPXQZME wrote:
  • The configure script does not work anymore. One of the reasons is because OS X comes with bash 2.05b, which does not support adding on to variables with a += operator (the oldschool BLAH="$BLAH asdf" style still works). I could install a newer bash, but I prefer my bash-completion working the way it is now.
Current stance on that is it never a bad time to upgrade bash. :P

Since this has occured, I haven't been able to test on an outdated bash version on a different Linux distro (I suspect the later updates to that distro would not encounter this specific issue).

In any case, you are SOL there. This is an upgrade or die kind of deal. :P
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Or just patch it and carry on. It's merely one feature I'm missing out on.

The other one's the real buzzkill.
Only a couple screws loose.
Krade
Rookie

Post by Krade »

BRPXQZME wrote:(...)

[*]The other problem is that after the SDL_CFLAGS are added to CFLAGS, the configure tests do not have the "SDL.h" header included that uses macros to change main() to SDL_main(), so they get a nice "multiply defined symbol" error from ld. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get around that....
[/list]
What problems are you having with SDL? I can checkout and compile the latest revision from SVN just fine.

By the way, *don't* just install SDL from MacPorts/fink and link against it the Unix way. If you read back, you'll see that if you link against MacPorts or Fink's dylibs, it won't be able to find them if you make an app bundle and distribute it.

If you want to be able to distribute a binary to to do that is to install the SDL.framework available on their site and hack your own sdl-config to link against the Framework. (Well, The Right Way™ is to use a X-Code project, I suppose I could give that a try for the next ZSNES release) I ended up using libSDLmain.a from MacPorts instead of compiling it from the source they provide (it's a static library, so it doesn't matter), though.
bennyp

Post by bennyp »

Hey, thanks for the link. 1.51 is niiice.
One problem is that certain games crash when using mode 7 graphics. Try Actraiser II.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There aren't any issues with Mode 7. Actraiser II has issues for a different reason if you search the board thoroughly.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

When is that Intel mac being donated? I looked at the mini's but they still want like $600 for it. I could buy an iPhone for that much.
Watering ur plants.
vintage_system

Post by vintage_system »

Hi there,

I'm trying to download the Mac version of ZSNES but all i get is a 'bandwidth exceeded' message everywhere i can...

Can anyone help me out by emailing it to me or something?

Regards,

Matt
Krade
Rookie

Post by Krade »

Umh, the link I posted originally (for 1.51) still works:

http://krade.com/zsnes/ZSNES-1.51.dmg
bobsmiththethird

Post by bobsmiththethird »

hey is there any way to netplay on an intel mac? with zsnes or do I have to get a different emulator? My buddy has a pc and we used to netplay all the time but on my new mac all i can seem to find is this 1.51 version for it which doesnt support netplay. any help would be appreciated.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

bobsmiththethird wrote:hey is there any way to netplay on an intel mac? with zsnes or do I have to get a different emulator? My buddy has a pc and we used to netplay all the time but on my new mac all i can seem to find is this 1.51 version for it which doesnt support netplay. any help would be appreciated.
No. Netplay was removed post 1.42. OSX support is a more recent thing. When netplay does come back, all ports will have it. Right now, it is nonexistant.

I think Snes9x has Mac netplay, but go ask them though.
ickymachine

Post by ickymachine »

I'm having problem with the 1.51 build posted by Krade. Uncompressed games run fine, but when I try to open a rom file that has been gzip'd, ZSNES crashes and gives the following error in the console:

ZSNES could not find any joysticks.
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _gzdirect
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SuperNes/ZSNES.app/Contents/MacOS/ZSNES
Expected in: dynamic lookup

dyld: Symbol not found: _gzdirect
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SuperNes/ZSNES.app/Contents/MacOS/ZSNES
Expected in: dynamic lookup

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

- iMac 2.8Ghz, 2Gb Ram, OSX 10.4.10
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Complain to Apple to fix their broken zlib, yes this is their fault.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Krade »

(Sorry, didn't see this)

I could try compiling zlib into a static library myself and make ZSNES link against that rather than use Apple's dylib, I suppose.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I do that with NSRT, it's pretty easy to do.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by LoneIgadzra »

Any hope of getting the NTSC filter to work in any modes besides 512x448 DR W?

That's pretty much my favorite feature of ZSNES, and is the only thing not-perfect about the Mac version of SNES9X.

I took a look at the algorithm to see if I could transplant it or something, but it's beyond me. Spending my days programming in Python has given me a terror of C.
DAEGU

Post by DAEGU »

Just one question...
How far away is ZSNES actually going to post an official, stable release of ZSNES for intel macs, pre compiled and ready to go, like the other versions of zsnes?
___
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

DAEGU wrote:Just one question...
How far away is ZSNES actually going to post an official, stable release of ZSNES for intel macs, pre compiled and ready to go, like the other versions of zsnes?
It'll probably happen when someone donates a Mac to a ZSNES developer who does compiles.

(FYI, I handled the past 5 releases)

Post by DAEGU »

hmm.. they CAN be pretty cheap
any developers interested in a mac mini?
___
Shin_Gouki
Rookie

Post by Shin_Gouki »

well the 1.51 dmg works very nice here :)
sounds crackels a bit (mac book 13 ")
i like it :)