Gambatte 0.5.0-wip2 released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

sinamas wrote:I haven't really looked into it, but it's probably pretty solid considering the author.

Anyways, 0.2.0 is out.

Release notes:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... _id=203791

Sweet, joystick support. Thank you for the new 0.2.0 release
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

Thanks for the joystick support.

The only problem is the lack of joystick POV hat support.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

vigi_lante wrote:Thanks for the joystick support.

The only problem is the lack of joystick POV hat support.
I was about the request the same thing, seeing as I have both a joystick and DPad on the same gamepad. I think that the initial joystick support which is written in the changelog is there for a reason.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

As I didn't know what values to expect from a POV hat, I left that out. It's trivial to add, I just need to know how to meaningfully convert it's output to boolean values.
byuu

Post by byuu »

This is how DirectInput handles POV hat values. I imagine it will be the same or very similar for SDL Input.

Code: Select all

uint pov = js.rgdwPOV[0];
    keystate[index + keymap::joypad_up]    |= (pov ==     0 || pov == 31500 || pov ==  4500) ? 0x80 : 0x00;
    keystate[index + keymap::joypad_down]  |= (pov == 18000 || pov == 13500 || pov == 22500) ? 0x80 : 0x00;
    keystate[index + keymap::joypad_left]  |= (pov == 27000 || pov == 22500 || pov == 31500) ? 0x80 : 0x00;
    keystate[index + keymap::joypad_right] |= (pov ==  9000 || pov ==  4500 || pov == 13500) ? 0x80 : 0x00;
You could obviously replace ? 0x80 : 0x00 with ? true : false, as well.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

It appears to be well documented too. It would have taken a ridiculously tiny amount of effort to support this in the first place. Oh well.

"POV hat? Wth is that? Bleh, let's just leave it out and see if it generates any whining."
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweet, well any bug I ran into in the last version has vanished so great work! Do you currently have any known bugs with any games or has no one bugtested the emu yet?

either way it works for everything I use, you're really on the ball and updated quite quickly. Good luck in the future!
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

sinamas wrote:"POV hat? Wth is that? Bleh, let's just leave it out and see if it generates any whining."
Here's another vote for adding POV-hat support.
That's the biggest shortcoming of this impressive emulator for now.

POV hat = D-PAD on all modern joypads,if you didn't know that.The POV hat originally appeared in (older) flight-sim joysticks and was used for a different purpose (for changing views).It was shaped like a hat,hence its name.But in all modern gamepads the POV hat is something completely different - its the equivalent of the digital pad in PSX/XBOX etc. controllers.It's strange how the name of this controller wasn't changed for gamepads to reflect its new purpose.

Imagine being forced to play all your 2D games with the analog stick of your PlayStation gamepad.It's worse than using an Atari2600 joystick to play Quake 4 :)

Some quality PC gamepads have a switch to remap the analog stick to the POV hat,but most of them do not. Even when remapped it doesn't work as it should in all cases.

So almost all quality emulators now have support for the POV hat.
Last edited by kick on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

POV hat support has my vote as well, 'grats on adding the joystick support though :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

adventure_of_link wrote:POV hat support has my vote as well, 'grats on adding the joystick support though :)
Same here. No emulator these days should be without POV hat support. And kick is right about the Mode button that switches the function of the POV hat and the left analog stick.

I know that Logitech pads have it, but most gamepads do not.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

My old Saitek P880 has one
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

in that case joypad PO-hat (aka d-pad) support would be appriciated, but it's not a priority for me. If you have other work in the emu I'd do that first.

Also, I'm done comparing, but just so you're aware KiGB just released a new version today

here

you definately have them trumped on hardware accuracy but I'd love to see your compatibility list, so far everything works but I haven't exactly been testing roms or anything.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I much prefer Gambatte to KiGB's "DOS" style gui. I couldn't even exit the app via the "x" on KiGB.

Keep up the good work, Sinamas.
DataPath
Lurker

What is SyncFunc?

Post by DataPath »

Sinamas: I'm trying to figure out the purpose of syncFunc, but I'm having a hard time following what it's doing. Could you enlighten me?
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Re: What is SyncFunc?

Post by sinamas »

DataPath wrote:Sinamas: I'm trying to figure out the purpose of syncFunc, but I'm having a hard time following what it's doing. Could you enlighten me?
It's waiting until a frame's worth of time has passed since the last time it was called. More equal display time of each frame -> smoother video.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

where is the syncFunc function located?
DataPath
Lurker

Post by DataPath »

Panzer88 wrote:where is the syncFunc function located?
There's a copy of syncFunc.cpp with the sdl front end.
sinamas wrote:It's waiting until a frame's worth of time has passed since the last time it was called. More equal display time of each frame -> smoother video.
Okey dokey - that makes things easier.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

hmm I am a windows user and can't seem to locate the front end.
If at all possible it would be neat to access these features in windows also.

if my statements are misguided or ignorant, please enlighten me.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Is it possible to add a power on/off or "reset" function to the emulator?
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Panzer88 wrote:Is it possible to add a power on/off or "reset" function to the emulator?
"Power on/off" would be more appropriate since there's no actual hardware "reset" button on the Gameboy...Just mentionning it because on consoles like the Snes, those two things are actual separate entities (i.e: some Snes games use the reset switch to a limited extend)

Just saying might as well get the proper name if Sinamas adds the feature.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

besides, what's wrong with pressing Start+Select+A+B anyway to reset the GB? it works in any emulator/ROM..
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Snark wrote: "Power on/off" would be more appropriate since there's no actual hardware "reset" button on the Gameboy...Just mentionning it because on consoles like the Snes, those two things are actual separate entities (i.e: some Snes games use the reset switch to a limited extend)

Just saying might as well get the proper name if Sinamas adds the feature.
I knew that, that's why I put "reset" in quotes, as in that is what it is doing, but there is no reset function.
adventure_of_link wrote:besides, what's wrong with pressing Start+Select+A+B anyway to reset the GB? it works in any emulator/ROM..
I had forgotten about this feature, or didn't know it existed, I have only ever experienced this with sega gaming machines. Thanks.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

besides, what's wrong with pressing Start+Select+A+B anyway to reset the GB? it works in any emulator/ROM..
Because then you get the inevitable problem reports like "My teh emulator won't reset when I prass those 4 buttonz!@!!!!1" due to keyboard limitations on simultaneous keys pressed.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

also do gameboy games differentiate between a hard reset and a soft reset? i'd imagine some games would, and that would make it a legitimate addition.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Panzer88 wrote:also do gameboy games differentiate between a hard reset and a soft reset? i'd imagine some games would, and that would make it a legitimate addition.
Agree. Then again, I suppose one could always re-load the rom and it would act as a power on/off, but it would be easier to have this feature.