Saving/Loading help, please

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Visara

Saving/Loading help, please

Post by Visara »

I'm playing Chrono Trigger and I hit F2 to save the game state and it creates a CHRONO~1.smw (I think it's smw) on my desktop. Then I close out the emulator.

Then later when I drag the CHRONO~.1 file into the emulator, the emulator opens and I hit F4 to try and load my game and nothing happens but a black screen. I can hear the music from the game in the background, and it says the game was loaded, but the screen's blank.

Basically, what do I do to CORRECTLY save and then load the game later on after the emulator's been closed out and reopened?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks so much
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Saving/Loading help, please

Post by Deathlike2 »

Visara wrote:I'm playing Chrono Trigger and I hit F2 to save the game state and it creates a CHRONO~1.smw (I think it's smw) on my desktop. Then I close out the emulator.
No, usually ZSNES savestates start with a .zst extension.
Then later when I drag the CHRONO~.1 file into the emulator, the emulator opens and I hit F4 to try and load my game and nothing happens but a black screen. I can hear the music from the game in the background, and it says the game was loaded, but the screen's blank.

Basically, what do I do to CORRECTLY save and then load the game later on after the emulator's been closed out and reopened?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks so much
You have to load the game, then hit F4 afterwords. You will fail miserably attempting to drag+drop savestates into the emu.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Visara

Post by Visara »

Okay, how do I load the game then without dragging/dropping?

I'm a complete noob to emulators. This is the first one I've ever had and I really have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Thanks again
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

You could start by reading the documentation, if it didn't come with the emulator, you can read the guides in the appropiate forum.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Use the file loader built into ZSNES when you run it the first time. It helps to put the roms/games into the same folder ZSNES in the first time so you can locate it easily.

When you create the savestate via F2, it looks at what you have defined for the save folder.. if the save folder is undefined, it saves in the same folder the rom is in.

Loading the savestate via F4 makes the same checks.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Visara

Post by Visara »

Joe Camacho wrote:You could start by reading the documentation, if it didn't come with the emulator, you can read the guides in the appropiate forum.
I don't want to read documentation. That's why I came here, to this forum to ask for a simple explanation. If I wanted to read a novel, I'd go to the library.

All I wanted to know is how to load a game once it's been saved and no one can tell give me a direct answer.

Nevermind. I'll just ask somewhere else.

Thanks anyway.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you refuse to read the docs, you are only asking for trouble.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Visara wrote:If I wanted to read a novel, I'd go to the library.
Reading the docs isn't so hard. You're just being a lazy fuck.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Visara wrote:and no one can tell give me a direct answer.
Maybe you could start with being coming up with for giving response good.

Pineapple.

EDIT: not to mention Deathlike2 giving you a perfectly straightforward answer just prior to your little spazfest '07.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

It's funny how some users are lazy and refuse to read the docs because it takes time, yet they keep on waiting for answers in the forums, where he'll not get any since he's just being a dick.

There's a purpose for the search function.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

hello

help from the board is like dessert
eat the fucking veggies before you get it

even if they taste horrible

bye
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54