screen not refreshing fast enough?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

bigmit37

screen not refreshing fast enough?

Post by bigmit37 »

hey guys i saw a topic on this and i am having the same problems....My background is jerky/ not keeping up with my characters when they are moving in romancing saga 3 and other games? I tried using vsync option( it didnt help) but i am not sure what the command line -6 option is....Is that in the new wip version because i still have to download that....I noticed that the person who created the similar topic said that the game was "pal" and that he downloaded an english version and things ran smooth...This game is a japanese game that was translated so do I have to worry about the problem he had.. any help is appreciated...thanx
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

by translated, you DO mean that a patch was applied to the japanese rom, making it english, correct?

if so, since japanese games are NTSC, and most patches wont convert the game to PAL, PAL shouldnt be the problem.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

When you load the game you can force it to NTSC timing by checking the appropriate box in the load dialog box. You also should use a VESA2 screen mode and enable tripple buffering (which also enables vsync).
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

yeah I applied a patch....I also checked the fps and it was 60/60 but the background is still shaky...not sure if this matters but I have been loading a saved game everytime I was checking to see if the game ran smoothly...Would i have to start the game over? THanx
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Try using the latest WIP version.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

im an idiot...I just realized that my refresh rate was at 85...I changed it to 60 and it works...but I feel like 60 might start making my eyes sore....is there any way i can play on 85 without it skipping...If not i need to know how to do the command line thing....I have no idea where i can type -6...thank you guys for your help
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

-6 only makes zsnes force the screen to 60 hz. It's a command line option, you can type it after you type "zsnes" when running zsnes from, uhh ... the command line. Alternatively, you can type it after "zsnes.exe" in the properties of a shortcut to zsnes. Most people do the latter.

And no, there's no way to make it run smooth at 85 hz. Unless someone invents something that interpolates frames. But don't count on that. :P

Though 120 hz will run smooth, because it's 2 x 60. My monitor can handle 120 hz at 640x480 (I think....the monitor doesn't register it as 640x480, but it looks the same) but I've never found a way to have that setting carry over to zsnes. 60 hz doesn't really bother me anyway.
Last edited by blackmyst on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

ok im going to sound like an idiot...but i created a shortcut and then where exactly am i supposed to type in -6....I right clicked went to properties, under the tab shorcut i saw target and at end of exe" i added a -6 outside the quote...I know i am doing it wrong because it didnt work...Can you please explain what exactly I am supposed to do...THank you for the help
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Iirc, if you edit the shortcut you must add a %1 after all the switches.
"C:\whatever\zsnesw.exe -6 %1"

To get smooth stuff at 85Hz screen refresh, I used Triple Buffering without VSync enabled. And in Config-Options, Autoframe Rate ON, Max Frameskip 9.
I didn't use the -6 option.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Maybe this should be sticky... How much has it been discussed recently? Seems like a lot.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

I just tried the using triple buffer and no vsync at 85 hz but it was still laggy...my comp can handle 120 hz at the 640x 400 resolution but I dont know how to specifically let the program run at 120 hz....thank you
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

when i type in the -6 and %1 or even just the -6 i get a message that says...."bla bla" speficified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

make the -6 following right after zsnesw.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by bigmit37 »

ahhhhh....i tried that too...i keep getting the same message...I am def doing something wrong......
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Go learn how to use a command line for god's sake and come back when you have a clue. I can't believe people can't use a simple command. You shouldn't be using a computer if you don't know how to use the command line.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

What exactly is command line....is it the start then run...I might know what it is but not the correct terminology....so if anyone can post some pics I would greatly appreciate it...thanx for the help
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Nightcrawler wrote:Go learn how to use a command line for god's sake and come back when you have a clue. I can't believe people can't use a simple command. You shouldn't be using a computer if you don't know how to use the command line.
If you don't want to help the guy who has limited experience with the console, then don't. There is no reason to flame him.

Not everyone shares your experiences with the computer. Command line usage is neither common nor required for the majority of modern windows users.

I also find it hard to believe you yourself were never a "n00b" or asked a question that seemed stupid or simple to more experienced people.

"That's why I asked. That's how you learn things, by asking, ya dumbass" -- Carl Carlson (The Simpsons)
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:Iirc, if you edit the shortcut you must add a %1 after all the switches.
"C:\whatever\zsnesw.exe -6 %1"
On win2k, just the -6 seems to do the trick.
grinvader wrote:To get smooth stuff at 85Hz screen refresh, I used Triple Buffering without VSync enabled. And in Config-Options, Autoframe Rate ON, Max Frameskip 9.
I didn't use the -6 option.

I don't know what your definition of "smooth" is but logically there is no way to get something that draws 60 frames per second to run without stuttering on 85 Hz, without some sort of frame interpolation. :?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

... if you lock the frame display to the monitor's using vsync.

If you don't lock it, you get some jerkiness but nothing like screen tearing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

jdratlif wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Go learn how to use a command line for god's sake and come back when you have a clue. I can't believe people can't use a simple command. You shouldn't be using a computer if you don't know how to use the command line.
If you don't want to help the guy who has limited experience with the console, then don't. There is no reason to flame him.

Not everyone shares your experiences with the computer. Command line usage is neither common nor required for the majority of modern windows users.

I also find it hard to believe you yourself were never a "n00b" or asked a question that seemed stupid or simple to more experienced people.

"That's why I asked. That's how you learn things, by asking, ya dumbass" -- Carl Carlson (The Simpsons)
There is a wealth of information on the net explaining what it is and how to use a command line. Why should I bother reinventing the wheel. I don't help people unless they are willing to help themselves first.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:... if you lock the frame display to the monitor's using vsync.

If you don't lock it, you get some jerkiness but nothing like screen tearing.
I'm not quite following. You're saying you can get a SNES game to run smoothly at regular speed with no double drawn frames at 85 Hz using vsync? Then please teach me that trick because that's magic. :P
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I think I know this guy's problem. First, you need to know where you put ZSnes, but for this example, we'll just use C:\whatever\morestuff\ZSnes\.
This really depends where the command prompt starts. First, you will have to type cd .. until the command prompt displays a C:\> (the following quote box shows you how to do this, the command prompt starts at C:\Windows\System.)
C:\Windows\System\>cd ..
C:\Windows\>cd ..
C:\>
Once there, you type the following, except change everything to where ZSnes is really stored:

C:\>cd whatever
C:\whatever\>cd morestuff
C:\whatever\morestuff>cd ZSnes
C:\whatever\morestuff\ZSnes>zsnesw.exe -6
And it should work. If this has been discussed, nor did it help anything, my bad.
PS: To get to the command prompt, you click start, click run, in the box type command (win 2k and above, cmd) and you're there :wink: :wink:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
bigmit37

Post by bigmit37 »

THanx! Adventure of link I tried what you told me and it works!...I really appreciate the help and patience guys.... I was wondering if I put 12 instead of the 6 would the computer run in 120hz mode...if not is there anyway that I can specifically make the program only run in 120 hz because my comp cant run in 800x600 at 120 but at 640x400 I would be able to run zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) at 120hz...If not no worries.... at least I can play for a short amount of time before my eyes turn like this :shock: ......thanx guys once again for ur help!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

bigmit37 wrote:THanx! Adventure of link I tried what you told me and it works!...I really appreciate the help and patience guys.... I was wondering if I put 12 instead of the 6 would the computer run in 120hz mode...if not is there anyway that I can specifically make the program only run in 120 hz because my comp cant run in 800x600 at 120 but at 640x400 I would be able to run zsnes (btw i am dumb) at 120hz...If not no worries.... at least I can play for a short amount of time before my eyes turn like this :shock: ......thanx guys once again for ur help!
No. those switches are hardcoded into the emulator and putting -12 instead of -6 won't give you 120Hz. However, is KitchenSync still in the WIPs or was it taken out? (KS enables 120Hz).
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Your eyes only turn like this :shock: in 60 Hz when you sit with your face a few inches away from the screen.

Move away from the screen (by at least 4 ft). That's the way SNES graphics were meant to be viewed anyway. That's the way you watch TV, that's the way you play console games.

I mean, imagine sitting as close to a regular TV sceen as you do to your PC. Paracetamol anybody?

Also, I've heard of KS but I've never found it. How do you enable it?