Chrono Trigger Keyboard Problem

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Langris

Chrono Trigger Keyboard Problem

Post by Langris »

For those who've played Chrono Trigger before, there's a part in the game where you're asked to hold down the L and R buttons, and then press A to activate a machine. When I did it, it didnt work i'm guessing is because of my keyboard. So I thought maybe doing a key combination would work though I've never used it. So I tried it and failed.

Here's the key comb I did for holding down L and R then pressing A, please tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix it. I'm using Zsnes 1.36 I think, the latest one with net play enabled.

L press+release R press+release A
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

For a key comb, you need for all three buttons pressed at the same time. Obviously your listed combo would fail.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
tikbalang
Rookie

Post by tikbalang »

you need to call out to Lucca's mom to get her attention and save her from being injured by the machine. her name is LARA.

it's possible without using key combinations in zsnes. you just have to type L, A, R, A (snes buttons) real fast and in proper sequence. you have less than 5 secs to do it. make a savestate just before the event and redo from there if you fail.
Langris

Post by Langris »

Ah sorry, I got the press only and press + release ones mixed up.

I thought it might be easier to just set a key combination for holding L + R and then pressing A manualy, though it didnt work. This is the keycombination I did for it:

L Press only R Press only

With press only the buttons will remain pressed untill I press another key right? I'm still having trouble with this. In the gui.txt the examples showed the key combination having a 2 frame delay after some keys, though I'm not sure whats the significance of this is for eiether, or if it would be any different if you'd use second delays instead.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Read this to make life easier: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9862

Seriously, you need to try L+R+A to be pressed down at the same time as a key combo.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Langris

Post by Langris »

Im sorry for repeating this but I'm still have trouble.

If I have L press only R press only A press only that means L R A pressed at the same time right? I set a key combination like this for LRA to be pressed down at the same time and I still have trouble with it.

Sorry for forgetting to read your post tikbalang, but I didnt hear anything about that part in the game, so you might be talking about something else.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

instead of doing a combo, just set all the buttons to the same key, press it, then switch them back.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Langris

Post by Langris »

Could you explain to me please on how to do that?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm simply offended that my link wasn't even taken seriously. I'm not going to further waste my time.
Langris

Post by Langris »

I've read the link but I still have problems, sorry for being slow-witted.

"Create a special key comb that presses L, R, A at the same time" L press only R press only A press only is a key combination to press them at the same time right? Before I was just asking to verify if thats correct. I set it as this and still have problems.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Langris wrote:I've read the link but I still have problems, sorry for being slow-witted.

"Create a special key comb that presses L, R, A at the same time" L press only R press only A press only is a key combination to press them at the same time right? Before I was just asking to verify if thats correct. I set it as this and still have problems.
Why don't you just map all three buttons to one key for three seconds and then change it back to whatever you've got it configured as after this sequence?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
Langris wrote:I've read the link but I still have problems, sorry for being slow-witted.

Why don't you just map all three buttons to one key for three seconds and then change it back to whatever you've got it configured as after this sequence?
No, that would just be too difficult. :roll:

Here's a simple key comb just for that stupid switch. Someone shrink it, store it, and quote it for future posterity because it is stupidly EASY if you use your brain. Just in case, YES I DID TEST IT OUT ON THAT L+R+A SWITCH AND IT WORKS.

blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Why don't you just include ctrl and shift in the keys you normally map to buttons, and circumvent any such problems in this or other games?

I still remain firmly of the opinion that those who use a keyboard to play SNES games don't deserve to finish CT, but that's just me. ;p
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

blackmyst wrote:Why don't you just include ctrl and shift in the keys you normally map to buttons, and circumvent any such problems in this or other games?
Maybe, but even that people will still make such stupid bug reports. Seriously, it is an inevitable problem, regardless.

I still remain firmly of the opinion that those who use a keyboard to play SNES games don't deserve to finish CT, but that's just me. ;p
I'd have to keel you for that comment. Maybe that comment should be revised for people who can't figure out how to compensate for this problem appropriately.
Langris

Post by Langris »

I forgot to set game specific, that's a mess up on my part, sorry for that. Thanks for the help and putting up with this.