Sound Effect Bug in Chrono Trigger (ZSNES 1.35-1.51)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

NinjaPirate07

Sound Effect Bug in Chrono Trigger (ZSNES 1.35-1.51)

Post by NinjaPirate07 »

Ok, this is my first post so bare with me if I forgot a rule on this forum. I'll give information on the problem first, and then I'll list all the specs and stuff at the bottom.

Ok, here's the problem. Yesterday I realized that I haven't updated my ZSNES (I was still using v1.337) in a long time, and I decided download and use the latest version. I tested out a few games and I was pretty impressed with the all the fixes and stuff, but then I noticed something a little wrong with some of the sound effects in Chrono Trigger. Although CT has always seemed to have few sound effect emulation problems; but with v1.51, some of these sound effects were really off compared to v1.337. The worst one I’ve noticed so far is the "Monster Death Sound Effect" (The sound that plays when a monster is defeated and "fades" away). In ZSNES v1.337, this SFX was nearly identical with the SNES, but with any version higher than v1.337, this sound has a much higher pitch and sounds nothing like the SFX on v1.337, or even close to the SNES. In fact, it just sounds pretty nasty and is annoying to hear. Another sound effect that I noticed that was a higher pitch than v1.337 was the water background sound in the Hekren cave (Which has this annoying buzzing sound). Like above, this SFX sounds fine in 1.337, but sounds nothing like the original in any version higher than that. There are also a few other sound effects that were off, but I’m not going to list them all right now. In short, if you ask me, the sound effect emulation for Chrono Trigger was allot better in v1.337 (Closest to the SNES) than in any version of ZSNES higher than that. So, is this a bug? Did something drastically change in the sound emulation after v1.337? Please forgive me if this bug as been mentioned before. I’ve searched all over the main website and the forum, and found nothing relating to this bug/problem.

So here's my all information.

-I've tried every version of ZSNES after 1.337 and they all have the same problem with those sound effects in Chrono Trigger.

-In the sound options, I practically tried every combination of options. I've tried every frequency, sound filters, low-pass filters, you name it. I've tried changing and mixing every option, but nothing makes any real difference.

-ROM Info
INTERLEAVED: NO
VIDEO: NTSC
TYPE: NORMAL
CHKSUM: OK
CRC32: 2D206BF4
I'm not using any cheat codes and I haven't used any patches on the ROM. I also tried using a different ROM, but still same problem.

-My System Specs are the following.
Mobo: Abit IC7-G
CPU: Pentium 4 3.2GHz w/HT
RAM: 1GB DDR PC2700
GPU: AGP 512MB Geforce 7950GT
Onboard Sound. Realtek AC97 Audio

Well, I think that's all the information I supposed to give. Forgive me if I've forgotten anything. Thank you for any support you can give :)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This is a well known problem. Hopefully, the new sound core coming in a future ZSNES version will fix this. BTW, I like how detailed your bug report is compared to many bug reports we get.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

did you delete your *.cfg and *.dat files before upgrading to 1.51? or did you install it to a new folder?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
NinjaPirate07

Post by NinjaPirate07 »

Oh ok then, that's good to know that it's a known problem that's being worked out; I was begining to think that it was just me. Is this what the "SVN Sound Core Replacement" is about? Forgive me for not being up to date, but how's it comming along? When it's done, would it fix the SFX in CT? Thanks.
did you delete your *.cfg and *.dat files before upgrading to 1.51? or did you install it to a new folder?
Yes, each version that I tried is in its own folder, and they created their own .cfg and .dat files when I first loaded them.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

NinjaPirate07 wrote:Oh ok then, that's good to know that it's a known problem that's being worked out; I was begining to think that it was just me. Is this what the "SVN Sound Core Replacement" is about?
It's the new sound core courtesy of blargg that has fixed many (most, if not all?) sound issues which have plagued ZSNES for years.

Check the ZSNES SVN repository, although I don't remember if the new sound core has been fully integrated into the ZSNES source apart from a few developer-only test builds. Probably not.

You'll get the new hotness when the new version of ZSNES is released, at the very least.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I too am incredibly impressed and glad to see such a thorough report. Welcome to the forums!
andyqkw
Rookie

Post by andyqkw »

snkcube wrote:This is a well known problem. Hopefully, the new sound core coming in a future ZSNES version will fix this. BTW, I like how detailed your bug report is compared to many bug reports we get.
Was eagerly waiting for the new sound core replacement too. but sadly have not seen it released since it's announcement in Feb 07
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

andyqkw wrote:
snkcube wrote:This is a well known problem. Hopefully, the new sound core coming in a future ZSNES version will fix this. BTW, I like how detailed your bug report is compared to many bug reports we get.
Was eagerly waiting for the new sound core replacement too. but sadly have not seen it released since it's announcement in Feb 07
Things take time to release so let it be.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
andyqkw
Rookie

Post by andyqkw »

snkcube wrote:Things take time to release so let it be.
Sad to say but true, will just have to wait patiently for it to be released. :lol: