ZSNES GUI 3.0 the first screenshot

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

ZSNES GUI 3.0 the first screenshot

Post by pagefault »

It's nothing to look at yet, but you get the idea. All done in QT. Over time I will post the progress of the conversion.

Last edited by pagefault on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watering ur plants.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I renamed the thread to GUI 3.0, since this will be ZSNESs 3rd implementation of a GUI.

For those that don't remember, the current GUI v2.0 replaced the first one in v0.600 of ZSNES.

http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/ ... .htm#v0600

Code: Select all

Wrote an entirely new GUI :

* Mouse driven GUI/Menu Based
    * Full Keyboard Support in all the Quick (Arrow Menu), Load, and Cheat menu items
    * Ability to display load names under 8.3 filename format, snes header name, and win95 long filenames
    * Support for Save State, Load State, and Select State through menu items
    * Quick Load Menu (Arrow menu) which allows you to quickly load the last 10 games loaded
    * Ability to Freeze or Clear the Quick Load Menu
    * An Options menu which allows you to configure settings such as video mode, sound settings, frame skip, etc.
    * Added the ability to customize the game keys such as the save state key, misc toggles, etc.
    * Ability to use those keys as joystick buttons
    * Customizeable background palette displacement
    * Several minor GUI customization features
    * Ability to quickly exit/enter the GUI with the right mouse button (Disabled by default)
    * Ability to Enter Game Genie, Pro Action Replay, or Game Finger Cheat Codes
    * Ability to browse the cheat codes and Toggle or Remove the codes
    * Ability to Save/Load Cheat Codes (saves them as .CHT files in the same directory as the .SRM/.ZST files)
    * Ability to Select Input Devices for each joypad
    * Ability to Define Keys/Button configuration for each joypad
    * Joypad can now move in the GUI (disabled by default)
    * Added some future reserve menus (Netplay, Cheat Search Engine). But they are NOT implemented in zsnes yet.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

That's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how this evolves...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

cool, that it's all in qt I mean.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

That is just the framebuffer inside a QT shell, we now have to add all the menus and dialogs to it, but it will be skinned in a nice looking matching appearance to keep with the "doesn't look like the OS" tradition. Plus it will be cross platform again.
Watering ur plants.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

back in the day, I had been thrilled with the original v1 GUI because it didn't have the... peculiarities... of the snes9x 0.20 DOS GUI...

the v2 GUI floored me.

i must say i'm excited about v3.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Nice. As long as we can make fullscreen mode look exactly like it always has, I'm happy. :)
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Full screen doesn't use any framework so yes.
Watering ur plants.
Y~K
Hazed

Post by Y~K »

hopefully this new ui can display filenames decently
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It uses your OS's file dialog.
Watering ur plants.
Y~K
Hazed

Post by Y~K »

pagefault wrote:It uses your OS's file dialog.
glad to hear that :)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The screenshots are looking great. I can't wait to try this out whenever available.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
odditude

Post by odditude »

One feature of the current file dialog that I appreciate is that the file picker automatically selects a file based on the current contents of the text box (aka you start typing and it highlights the first matching file).

Generally, the Windows file picker offers the same type of selection if the explorer pane has focus. My question is twofold:

First, can you force the Windows file dialog to focus the explorer pane instead of the text field upon creation?

Secondly, if the first answer is yes, would you make that a user-selectable option?

If this requires a ridiculous amount of effort, I don't think it would be worth it, as a simple shift-tab before typing would have the same effect. Still, I think it would be a nice feature.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Looking great so far, pagefault! I'm looking forward to seeing the extent of what all can be done with Qt4 and theming. Should allow you to appeal to both the raster GUI fans and the consistent native GUI fans at the same time.
First, can you force the Windows file dialog to focus the explorer pane instead of the text field upon creation?
Out of the box, Qt focuses the text field to enter a filename on both the native and internal file open dialog windows. You can select a file quickly by typing a partial name and pressing down + enter this way.

The only sane way to pull that off would be to grab the HWND (by FindWindow if you have to) and manually set focus to the file list. That would be platform-specific and non-standard behavior for Windows file dialogs, though, so it's probably not a good idea.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

odditude wrote:One feature of the current file dialog that I appreciate is that the file picker automatically selects a file based on the current contents of the text box (aka you start typing and it highlights the first matching file).

Generally, the Windows file picker offers the same type of selection if the explorer pane has focus. My question is twofold:
To answer both of you and both questions, it can be done if needed, we can design a custom file dialog which we will probably do eventually but retain what is from the OS at the same time, we can inherit a base class in QT and then change it to our liking, since the file dialog is a class it shouldn't be too hard to do this or create a custom one. At least thats what the documentation leads me to believe. I don't know much about QT at this point, all this was done in a 24 hour period so it will be an uphill battle. And thanks for the encouragement byuu, good luck to you as well in your battles with code.
Watering ur plants.
odditude

Post by odditude »

byuu wrote:Out of the box, Qt focuses the text field to enter a filename on both the native and internal file open dialog windows. You can select a file quickly by typing a partial name and pressing down + enter this way.
I didn't know about the down + enter combo for Qt; that will come in handy next time I fire up my Linux box. Thanks, byuu!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Just out of curiosity, why QT (as opposed to GTK)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Maximus wrote:Just out of curiosity, why QT (as opposed to GTK)
We ZSNES developers don't like broken APIs.
Nor APIs which by default create a broken user interface.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Panzer88 »

I'm glad for it.

I <3 Qt
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Nach wrote:
Further explain for educating the uneducated, please.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nightcrawler wrote:
Nach wrote:
Further explain for educating the uneducated, please.
If you haven't seen his rants on the QT dialog, click on his blog link and look for a post regarding that.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Post by Rydian »

Can you still press space to choose a random file? I loved the feature.

Also, ignore my ignorance, but what's the file selection open box thing look like fullscreen?

And yay development screenshots!
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Don't worry about existing features, I'll take care of them.

If I was able to make something like NSRT Frontend (with help of course), you don't think we can add all kinds of features to browsing for ROMs?

Post by mudlord »

I'm glad for it.

I <3 Qt
Hehehe, same here, having starting to like it after a few test attempts at whipping something up using the toolkit, to get a feel for it. 8)