pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

bad dumping is certainly not confined to PlayStation, and disk images are worse on any system because they are big, but even worse on rarer systems that hardly anyone carries, such as PC Engine CD games or rarer.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Panzer88 wrote:bad dumping is certainly not confined to PlayStation, and disk images are worse on any system because they are big, but even worse on rarer systems that hardly anyone carries, such as PC Engine CD games or rarer.
Absolutely I wasn't talking exclusively PS1 but any cd/dvd disc based system.

About PC Engine CD there was one group/website that focused on perfect Bin/Cue format dumps*.

One day however, they decided to convert their game dumps to Datatrack+Some lossless audio compression format I forgot (that you had to decompress and burn)...which I thought was utterly stupid. Better than iso+mp3 but still...just to save a few mb...

*lolz i sayz "dumps" lolzlolz /end youtubery
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Sega CD has had something similar happen. TOSEC has figured out that currently there is no real way to rip a SCD in one piece due to how the damn discs were burned(Or something like that. I don't recall exactly why. All I'm sure of is it was 100% plausible.). Because of this, they are distributing the games as ISO/WAV, with the WAV files being ripped by EAC.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Snark wrote:1- PLEASE don't use programs that produce "ISO" format. Those are usually crap. Why do people STILL use crappy programs like ISObuster or nero when much superior applications for image making exist, such as CloneCD or Alcohol Programs?
the only programs that I've seen that produce PSone images in iso format would be that PE.op.S ISO ripper (or whatever)

other than that, not even ISO Buster or Nero lets me use ISO. I'm forced into using bin/cue for ISO Buster (which is acceptable, since ePSXe and pSX (iirc) can read a .bin CD image anyhow) or NRG for Nero.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Snark wrote:1- PLEASE don't use programs that produce "ISO" format. Those are usually crap. Why do people STILL use crappy programs like ISObuster or nero when much superior applications for image making exist, such as CloneCD or Alcohol Programs? Programs that were actually MADE to properly clone discs...God.../rant*
As a user of Mac OS and Linux, I'd like to mention that the One True CD Image Format is BIN/CUE (or maybe BIN/TOC on a good day). CloneCD gets a free pass because its image format is basically BIN/CCD (and it can automatically generate a proper CUE for you if you like). Alcohol, Nero, and any other application with its own proprietary binary format can die in a fire. :(
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Thristian wrote:
Snark wrote:1- PLEASE don't use programs that produce "ISO" format. Those are usually crap. Why do people STILL use crappy programs like ISObuster or nero when much superior applications for image making exist, such as CloneCD or Alcohol Programs? Programs that were actually MADE to properly clone discs...God.../rant*
As a user of Mac OS and Linux, I'd like to mention that the One True CD Image Format is BIN/CUE (or maybe BIN/TOC on a good day). CloneCD gets a free pass because its image format is basically BIN/CCD (and it can automatically generate a proper CUE for you if you like). Alcohol, Nero, and any other application with its own proprietary binary format can die in a fire. :(
Perhaps. Although I'll choose a good, proprietary format over a crappy, universal one (referring to the rather common "ISO" format).
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I finally got to try this out, and I am very impressed. There is a strange thing with my up/down and left/right being reversed with my Super Smartjoy. Might be a windows 98 bug.

Speaking of which, what is the best program to rip psx cds? Doesn't matter if it is windows or linux, I have both. I tried using "dd" on linux, but it didn't work.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Give Alcohol 52% a try.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

doesn't Alcohol 52% only mount CDs, daemon tools style?

that said, try ISO Buster, and rip in BIN/CUE, using RAW/2352 format.

there is also a Nero for Linux as well. perhaps give k3b a try?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I kind of wish someone would just make a PSX specific ripping tool that was really to use. And I say that assuming that psxdb is correct in their guide when they say you have to do all this stuff to actually get a correct rip.

http://redump.org/guide/cddumping/
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

badinsults wrote:Speaking of which, what is the best program to rip psx cds? Doesn't matter if it is windows or linux, I have both. I tried using "dd" on linux, but it didn't work.
Man, didn't we have this conversation in the previous two posts already? :(

(hint: CloneCD)
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

FitzRoy wrote:I kind of wish someone would just make a PSX specific ripping tool that was really to use
...Alcohol120

Seriously people, it's among the most advanced tool to clone disks you can find.

It even has many presets INCLUDING one for Ps1. (in addition to Securom, Safedisc etc) ...Unless you make a program named "PSX specific ripping tool" it doesn't get easier than that.

CloneCD works for Ps1 but I think you have to feed it the right settings, which unfortunately can introduce problems as people don't always know the right ones.

You know I'm all for people using whatever programs they feel like using...as long as that doesn't introduce problems for others...If someone want to use (actively use that is, as it's kind of integrated with Windows) WMP I don't mind even though it really is an invasive, bloated piece of crap imo but if you're gonna share your files use the right tools please.

edit: that being said, I'm not saying Alcohol120 is 100% guarantee to give perfect results. Obviously, it can't verify for you if you have a defective drive or worse, damaged disc.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

FitzRoy wrote:And I say that assuming that psxdb is correct in their guide when they say you have to do all this stuff to actually get a correct rip.

http://redump.org/guide/cddumping/
No......No way. there's about 280 steps in that guide you have to be shitting me. More (unnecessary?) steps = more places you can screw up.

Unless you can clearly demonstrate that a one option/one step solution like the Alcohol120 PSX preset I mentionned is fundamentally flawed and gives bad rips...I call Major Stupidity on that one. Yes Major? Yes, phone call for you...

I mean, why do things the easy way when you can make them needlessly complicated, right?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

hmm several posts later FitzRoy you are very right. People are going to argue till the break of dawn until someone writes a decent app made for ripping PSOne games.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

adventure_of_link wrote:doesn't Alcohol 52% only mount CDs, daemon tools style?
Rips and mounts but does not burn.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Jipcy wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:doesn't Alcohol 52% only mount CDs, daemon tools style?
Rips and mounts but does not burn.
huh. I thought it was just more or less DAEMON tools. thanks man.

-shrug-
NSRT here.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Panzer88 wrote: until someone writes a decent app made for ripping PSOne games.
Many already exist.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

badinsults wrote:There is a strange thing with my up/down and left/right being reversed with my Super Smartjoy. Might be a windows 98 bug.
How so? Did the graphics look wrong in the configuration menu, or the axises on the controller backwards.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

apparently ps2 emulation is being put in, hence the severe lack of updates from psX author of late

http://www.ngemu.com/index.php?action=post&id=2270

still has a ways to go, but this is definitely interesting. i'm hoping a huge slew of ps1 fixes and refinements get thrown in as well.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I just posted this in the pSX board but it seems pretty abandoned so I was wondering if anyone could make any sense of this, or even read what little you can read if the image (black text on black background wasn't a bright idea on konami's part)
panzer88 wrote: I recently purchased a brand new unused version of the japanese game "Metal Gear Solid: Integral"

it is ntsc-j and it is the PSOne Books 3 disk set.

the game boots in pSX just fine, and so I'm not sure if this is an emulator error, or if it has something to do with copy protection.

anyways when I boot it up the game works correctly and I can navigate the menus completely fine until I try to start a new game.

when I try to start a new game it gives me an error message in japanese with a red circle and a line threw it shown here

I tried using Scph1001, and now Scph7000 for bios.

I also tried the game in another emulator and it went into the intro without a hitch.

I am not suggesting that pSX is less accurate, in fact quite the opposite, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to bypass this snag.

again this is being run on pSX with the REAL OFFICIAL MGS Integral NTSC-J PSOne Books Edition CD-ROM Disk 1

(when I use disk 2 it says please insert disk 1, or something to that effect, and the third disk is just for the VR Missions)

any advise or information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Who knows? I haven't heard anything about a release since 1.13 back in January. Let's just hope they don't abruptly abandon the project like they PCSX, which, strangely enough, became a playstation emulator for the wii.
Why that Japanese text is black on black is beyond me. Do you have a link to the original forum picture?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Tell you the truth. Nobody can rip psx cds perfect. Here is why. The whole cd can't be rip with the protection. If cd was rip fully then you should be able to play on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd. There noway it can be done.

Yea we can do this way. http://redump.org/guide/cddumping/ But it doesn't work on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd.

My point is everyone not doing this right. Until someone find the way to make a perfect dump and got the copies that works on psx machine without a mod chip.
Last edited by Dullaron on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

so what you are saying is that it is a security issue with the emulator, like the disk detects it isn't a real PlayStation?

Are you suggesting I try ripping an image and that might work?

you know I have the REAL version and I'm trying to run it on an emulator (pSX) right?

(it works fine on ePSXe 1.7.0)

I have the original and until recently unopened disk, just to clarify.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Rips will work on emulator. But psx machine won't pick it up. That is my point.

Yea real cds work on both.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT