Super Mario RPG freezing

A forum for admins and moderators to move verified bug posts to. Only move topics here if they are indeed verified bugs.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

cv-death wrote:.. the back round was move in and all i can do crap...
Gold.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

cv-death wrote:.. the back round was move in and all i can do crap...
... what?
fnow

Post by fnow »

I think i just found a workaround for the bug with the star at the pirate ship. Desperately i tried forcing PAL even though i seem to have the same rom as many of you (with crc: 1B8A0625).

I have no idea how, but it works. :D
NewgroundsGuy

Re: Super Mario RPG freezing

Post by NewgroundsGuy »

yadayada wrote:Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums for this issue but couldn't seem to find it, so I apologize in advance if this has been verified.

I have the latest release 1.51 windows and Super Mario RPG freezes (music continues) when in the equip menu right when you select something from the right menu. It works in the older versions, but not the latest release (which has a nice looking GUI btw)
The same thing happens to me! :(
Should I just get an older version?
1 c0m3 fr0m N3wgr0und5. Take me to jo0r l34d3r.
NewgroundsGuy

Post by NewgroundsGuy »

NewgroundsGuy wrote: The same thing happens to me! :(
Yeah, just get version 1.42, move your ROM, Save and Save State (If you have one) to the same folder and start playing. :D
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Did you just reply to yourself?
NewgroundsGuy

Post by NewgroundsGuy »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Did you just reply to yourself?
Yep. :D
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

WTF? how about you just add at the bottom of your first post

EDIT:

I figured it out, you do ---

it's much less schitzo.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
fnow

Post by fnow »

fnow wrote:I think i just found a workaround for the bug with the star at the pirate ship. Desperately i tried forcing PAL even though i seem to have the same rom as many of you (with crc: 1B8A0625).

Got the same kind of freeze at "the axem rangers", same workaround solved it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

fnow wrote:
fnow wrote:I think i just found a workaround for the bug with the star at the pirate ship. Desperately i tried forcing PAL even though i seem to have the same rom as many of you (with crc: 1B8A0625).

Got the same kind of freeze at "the axem rangers", same workaround solved it.
seriously?

twice in one thread, what are the odds?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Did you just reply to yourself?
He certainly did! Some people are just crazy, I guess.

... you sexy beast.
Arefel

Post by Arefel »

NewgroundsGuy wrote:
NewgroundsGuy wrote: The same thing happens to me! :(
Yeah, just get version 1.42, move your ROM, Save and Save State (If you have one) to the same folder and start playing. :D
So, I did what this guy just posted and I could not for the life of me get my 1.51 saves/save states to work on 1.42.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain it to me in a clearer manner, assume I know just enough to browse the internet.

Thanks!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

new save states dont work with older zsnes... but you can use the srm file.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Arefel

Post by Arefel »

Yeah, I tried using the old .srm but that didn't work, probably because I don't know what I'm really supposed to do with it.

However, I did get the game to progress. Out of frustration I just began mashing what I had set to L, R, Start and Select and lo and behold Jonny is telling me what a chum I am! I haven't been able to reproduce it though because I was so happy I saved over the state/save immediately.

Hope this helps someone but take it with a grain of salt and a bit of luck.
shentino
Rookie

confirmation

Post by shentino »

I just wanted to confirm that I am also having this problem.

So far:

Equipment menu lockups,
Johnny's star screen lockups

checksum looks familiar.

I'll try forcing PAL and see if it helps.

I'll also check out 1.50 and try to narrow down which version borked out.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Please, don't bother.

Just use zsnes 1.42 or snes9x until a new version comes out.
shentino
Rookie

Weirdness

Post by shentino »

I couldn't get snes9x to compile, and the binaries were linked against a different version of the C++ library.

Worse, zsnes 1.42 segfaulted after I compiled it. This was after I had to tweak a makefile to remove an errant -L switch that didn't have an argument. It seems as though the 1.42 source's makes are borked.

Anyway, forcing PAL worked.

However, that BROKE the game during the tutorial for the beetle shooter game.

I had to force NTSC to get past that bit.

Honestly, I wish there was a way to switch between PAL and NTSC at runtime. At the moment, I have to dump, reload the rom, and resume.

Weird, how you need to force completely opposite options at different stages in the game...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Weirdness

Post by Deathlike2 »

shentino wrote:Worse, zsnes 1.42 segfaulted after I compiled it. This was after I had to tweak a makefile to remove an errant -L switch that didn't have an argument. It seems as though the 1.42 source's makes are borked.
It's not the makes (although yes, there was a bug), it's moreso glibc that has changed, to the point of allowing bad stuff to happen before, and not so much of that now. You could try 1.42n since that should work with the more recent glibc.
Honestly, I wish there was a way to switch between PAL and NTSC at runtime. At the moment, I have to dump, reload the rom, and resume.
It's not possible, since timing between PAL and NTSC systems are completely different.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
shentino
Rookie

Post by shentino »

Deathlike2 wrote:
shentino wrote:Worse, zsnes 1.42 segfaulted after I compiled it. This was after I had to tweak a makefile to remove an errant -L switch that didn't have an argument. It seems as though the 1.42 source's makes are borked.
It's not the makes (although yes, there was a bug), it's moreso glibc that has changed, to the point of allowing bad stuff to happen before, and not so much of that now. You could try 1.42n since that should work with the more recent glibc.
It's not possible, since timing between PAL and NTSC systems are completely different.
Then this is a very weird game. For some reason, switching timings by dumping and reloading works.

Do SNES CPU instructions require precise emulation of timing? Because going PAL and making all the frames 1/5th longer seems to say that we're giving the VPU more window to execute in. Just a wild guess though...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

shentino wrote:Do SNES CPU instructions require precise emulation of timing?
Okay that's some decent hilarium ore right there.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
shentino
Rookie

Post by shentino »

On the final credits "parade" I had to mode-switch at least three times to keep it going.

I'm actually quite baffled as to why this game works better on PAL than it does NTSC, when the graphics and timings are distinctly designed for NTSC.

Examples:

Star piece on Johnny, Breaker beam. Both break on NTSC.
Dodo's pecking symphony. Out of sync with actions on PAL.

If I put it on PAL, everything works, but a tad slow and out of sync. If I put it on NTSC, it keeps up but stuff breaks.

...Why?

This is weird weird weird weird weird...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

shentino wrote:On the final credits "parade" I had to mode-switch at least three times to keep it going.

I'm actually quite baffled as to why this game works better on PAL than it does NTSC, when the graphics and timings are distinctly designed for NTSC.

Examples:

Star piece on Johnny, Breaker beam. Both break on NTSC.
Dodo's pecking symphony. Out of sync with actions on PAL.

If I put it on PAL, everything works, but a tad slow and out of sync. If I put it on NTSC, it keeps up but stuff breaks.

...Why?

This is weird weird weird weird weird...
It should be blantly obvious. Timing matters, and PAL systems operate slower than their NTSC counterparts. It doesn't mean PAL works better, it means our NTSC timing is simply off by comparison.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

Do SNES CPU instructions require precise emulation of timing?
Ideally, but it's not required.
Because going PAL and making all the frames 1/5th longer seems to say that we're giving the VPU more window to execute in. Just a wild guess though...
NTSC may run at 60fps, and PAL at 50fps, but one PAL frame is longer than one NTSC frame. Specifically, the ratio is 262 scanlines/NTSC to 312/PAL.

262*60=15,720 and 312*50=15,600. Throw in slight CPU clock offsets, and it's mostly the same, with a tiny variance.
shentino
Rookie

Post by shentino »

Hope this gets fixed soon. :)

Curious as I am about the details about PAL vs. NTSC, and having differences in execution beyond simple video anomalies, I'm also confused.
xusword

problem too

Post by xusword »

Hi

Yup... I got the very same problem as well...

I was trying the game on ZSNES1.5.1.
It freezes for when equipping some equipments. I was able to play the game around it until I got the 5th star from the shark.

And then I start the game all over again with ZSNES1.1
The freezing problem never occur... until I defeated Exor...

Almost spit blood at that moment....