Dynamic paths, possible feature request...

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

MarcusRaven

Dynamic paths, possible feature request...

Post by MarcusRaven »

I'm wondering if ZSNES is compatible with dynamic paths. What I mean is that I have ZSNES and my corresponding files on an HP Pocket Media Drive. On my desktop, the drive letter is K, and (I think this is a Vista thing) I can reassign the drive letter to whatever I choose. On my laptop, which doesn't have that many drives defined (my desktop has a multi-card reader built in) the Drive letter is E. Since the drive will be moved around between my computers, I was wondering if ZSNES can have just a simple dynamic drive path in the paths menu.

Example:

Instead of K:\Folder\ZSNES\Games

is it possible to do something along the lines of \Games, \Saves, \Screens?

That way I can just plug the drive into whatever computer I'm using and all my paths are always correct. I like to keep my games, saves, and screens in their own folders. If there is a way to do this, how would I go about it? (I tried using my example method, thinking it would work, to no avail.)

If there isn't a way to do this, then I would like to suggest it for a future version. It makes the program much more convenient that I don't have to type in an entire path (some of which can be very long) and also I don't have to worry about retyping my path every time I move my drive.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Umm, as far as I know it accepts relative paths, like you mention. At least, older versions did.

If you have say "C:\Emulation\ZSNES\" and "C:\Emulation\Roms\" you should be able to point the path variable to "..\Roms\"

*edit* used the wrong form of "accepts." Maybe I should hire a proofreader
Last edited by Palin on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Palin wrote:"..\Roms"
Is it not ".\Roms" since .. is Up One Level in DOS?

wait, nevermind xD.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
MarcusRaven

Post by MarcusRaven »

Alright. That's great to know. I never tried the periods in there. Didn't know. Thanks!
Ph4n70m
Rookie

Post by Ph4n70m »

ZSnes accepts relative paths, but it will overwrite the relative path with the absolute path when it closes...
You can turn cfgdontsave to 1 in zsnesw.cfg to prevent this, I think it will work.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Development code has had improved relative directory support for quite a while, it'll be in the next release.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.