controller compatability?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

therealtlb32

controller compatability?

Post by therealtlb32 »

quick question, are there any controllers that work with this emulator? like will the 360 controller work with it? or something more old school?
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Assuming you're using Windows, any directplay compatible controller will work. MEANING

If windows recognizes it, ZSNES recognizes it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Palin wrote:Assuming you're using Windows, any directplay compatible controller will work. MEANING

If windows recognizes it, ZSNES recognizes it.
DirectInput. DirectPlay is for network play.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

This is why I shouldn't post while cramming for a midterm.

Yes, Directinput.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Palin wrote:This is why I shouldn't post while cramming for a midterm.

Yes, Directinput.
As long as you don't put DirectInput down as a test answer, you're all right. :P
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I use an official super nintendo controller I bought 8 years ago. I modified it to be USB from retrousb.com.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Cobra951
Rookie

Re: controller compatability?

Post by Cobra951 »

therealtlb32 wrote:quick question, are there any controllers that work with this emulator? like will the 360 controller work with it? or something more old school?
The 360 controller works just fine. I use a 3rd party driver for it, though, and now I can't recall its name. It probably doesn't matter, since you map the buttons in ZSNES and analog axes are irrelevant.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: controller compatability?

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cobra951 wrote:
therealtlb32 wrote:quick question, are there any controllers that work with this emulator? like will the 360 controller work with it? or something more old school?
The 360 controller works just fine. I use a 3rd party driver for it, though, and now I can't recall its name. It probably doesn't matter, since you map the buttons in ZSNES and analog axes are irrelevant.
XBCD360
joebells
Rookie

Post by joebells »

careful if you go the wireless xbox360 controller route. You can't use xbcd with them and microsofts driver for it has no configuration options(making the trigger buttons semi useless as they can't be pressed at the same time, you can use the bumpers instead but I don't like using them as much doesn't feel quite right), there is a japanese driver for the 360 wireless controller with lots of config options including letting you use both triggers at once, even autofire and such, its been translated to english and works well, but it doesn't allow more than one controller to be connected per wireless gaming reciever. So if you wanted two controllers connected you have to get two wireless gaming recievers. The microsoft driver allows up to 4 to be connected at once.

The problem with the 360 controller in my opinion though is the horrible dpad. You will find yourself pressing extra directions you didn't mean to even if you do the sanding trick. I wanted to use the analog stick as it works pretty well in bsnes and nestopia and such but in zsnes it works horribly, it detects anything not exactly following 0degrees to the right as right up or right down(and that follows for the other directions also). Making it very hard to play say mario for instance you'll be running and get ready to jump but your finger will pull down just a bit and you'll duck instead, man it sucks. byuu helped someone change some stuff in the code but I couldn't follow it to do it myself.

The 360 controller does feel really nice in the hand though and works with all my other emulators perfectly. It also does work with zsnes but you have to deal with the shoddy dpad or zsnes's problem of not working quite right with the analog stick.
Cobra951
Rookie

Post by Cobra951 »

I don't like wireless controllers even with my 360. I use strictly wired. For a PC, wired is definitely the way to go.

Yes, XBCD is the name of the PC driver I use for the 360 controller. Thanks.