I click svae cheat but it does not save

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nensondubois
Rookie

I click svae cheat but it does not save

Post by nensondubois »

I'm using ZSNES 1.51 for Windows and I click "SAVE" but when I "LOAD" the cheat the cheats appear to have not been saved or even toggled. I discovered this when I saved all the SGB codes I hacked.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You need to be more specific on the order of which you did this.

The cheats are created in the same folder the ROM is in, unless a save directory is defined.

If the folder with the ROMs are on a CD/DVD, then you will have problems saving the cheats.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nensondubois
Rookie

Post by nensondubois »

The cheats load up and they are in the ROM folder. I save them but they don't actually save instead when I load the cheat file it just brings back the cheats ZSNES started up with. This only seems to happen with Super Gameboy 1 and 2 which I have got working with four codes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You need to be more specific (use a step by step method if you want to be very clear). I have no problem loading up the cheats that were saved.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nensondubois
Rookie

Post by nensondubois »

Well the more information I could give is that it only started today and I deleted the config files but the cheats still did not change no matter how many times I saved them.
BCprogger
Hazed

Post by BCprogger »

and it only happens with Super Gameboy 1 and 2?

-what the heck are those anyway?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nensondubois wrote:This only seems to happen with Super Gameboy 1 and 2 which I have got working with four codes.
Getting it booting and getting it working aren't the same.

ZSNES lacks emulation of the gameboy hardware that exists inside a Super GameBoy cartridge. You will likely NEVER be able to actually use the SGB in ZSNES.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

They were attachments for the SNES that let you play GB games on the SNES. Super Gameboy games were GB games that came with extras that only worked on the Super Gameboy. Usually things like special colors schemes or extra sound effects. One game went as far as to include an SNES version(Granted, it was Space Invaders...).

The SGB2 differed in a few aspects, namely a completely different look and some minor hardware changes. It was only sold on QVC in the US, oddly enough. I believe you could just buy one in a store if you were in Japan.
BCprogger
Hazed

Post by BCprogger »

the hardware inside the SGB is essentially a gameboy that outputs to the SNES, isn't it? If so it wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense to ever include that as part of ZSNES, since they'd need to write a GBC emulator too- and there are definitely enough of those, some of which feature SGB emulation to begin with.

How the heck did he ever get them started anyway? Wouldn't it need a gameboy ROM actually embedded inside the SGB (ROM?) itself :?

If the ZSNES developers ever added SGB support that is when it would become a MESS (pun intended).
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

BCprogger wrote:the hardware inside the SGB is essentially a gameboy that outputs to the SNES, isn't it? If so it wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense to ever include that as part of ZSNES, since they'd need to write a GBC emulator too- and there are definitely enough of those, some of which feature SGB emulation to begin with.

How the heck did he ever get them started anyway? Wouldn't it need a gameboy ROM actually embedded inside the SGB (ROM?) itself :?

If the ZSNES developers ever added SGB support that is when it would become a MESS (pun intended).
1. You wouldn't need to implement GBC emulation, as the GBC was an upgraded GB with a higher clocked CPU and other improvements.

2. Right now nobody gets SGB emulation 100% right. They miss some part of the equation, such as the extras other than the borders and maybe color scheme.

3. You wouldn't need a gameboy rom embedded, if you did it right. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to implement, but no one has any interest other than people who cannot code.

If the grammar on this post is fucked up, blame it on my barely being awakeness.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote: 2. Right now nobody gets SGB emulation 100% right. They miss some part of the equation, such as the extras other than the borders and maybe color scheme.
Because a Super GameBoy game has complete access to the SNES, and can use it for anything an SNES can do. Single-system multiplayer, 16-bit graphics, high-quality sampled sound... you name it.

Very few games DID, but... it makes it impossible to emulate in a GameBoy emulator for the ones that do.

That's the biggest argument for SGB emulation. But there was so little that supported it to a significant degree, and there's so much more that needs to be done on the SNES side...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote: 2. Right now nobody gets SGB emulation 100% right. They miss some part of the equation, such as the extras other than the borders and maybe color scheme.
Because a Super GameBoy game has complete access to the SNES, and can use it for anything an SNES can do. Single-system multiplayer, 16-bit graphics, high-quality sampled sound... you name it.

Very few games DID, but... it makes it impossible to emulate in a GameBoy emulator for the ones that do.

That's the biggest argument for SGB emulation. But there was so little that supported it to a significant degree, and there's so much more that needs to be done on the SNES side...
Given that there's a total lack of proper SGB emulation, I would disagree. if there was workable yet buggy/fairly imperfect emulation, I'd agree.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

And here I was thinking you could use the SGB ROM as a BIOS...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

adventure_of_link wrote:And here I was thinking you could use the SGB ROM as a BIOS...
It is a BIOS rom, isn't it?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Given that there's a total lack of proper SGB emulation, I would disagree. if there was workable yet buggy/fairly imperfect emulation, I'd agree.
But there's perfectly good 8-bit GameBoy emulation. The SGB enhancements are largely just that: enhancements that don't affect the game in any real way.

And as you can see in other places, implementing a complex coprocessor on top of a known faulty base system emulation can lead to long-term problems.

So ZSNES+SGB emulation could wind up being the WORST GameBoy emulator, if SGB was done before the base system was perfected.

And I apologize in advance if this prompts a rash of feature requests to Byuu.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I wasn't suggesting adding SGB emulation to ZSNES, just SGB emulation period.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The devs have stated many times that SGB emulation is not coming to Zsnes. No sense continuing this discussion.