Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Dullaron wrote:AamirM that website looking great.
Hi,

Thanks to Aaron and King of Chaos. They did all the work on it.

stay safe,

AamirM
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

The site's functional and operational. Comments are welcome. :)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

King Of Chaos wrote:The site's functional and operational. Comments are welcome. :)
Hi,

Nicely done. Thanks.

stay safe,

AamirM
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

AamirM wrote:
Hi,

Is there any easy way to do band-limited synthesis ? :) . That player is not doing any resampling. I obsereved that both the ym2612 and the vgm track is running at 44100 (or whatever rate you set from the options). So its narrowed down to just band-limited synthesis. I am having trouble understanding blarggs code. Anybody else having any luck with it?

stay safe,

AamirM
Have you seen the following page?
http://www.slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/
P.S. Maybe you can give the link to Stef, as he seemed clueless
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

bobthebuilder wrote:
AamirM wrote:
Hi,

Is there any easy way to do band-limited synthesis ? :) . That player is not doing any resampling. I obsereved that both the ym2612 and the vgm track is running at 44100 (or whatever rate you set from the options). So its narrowed down to just band-limited synthesis. I am having trouble understanding blarggs code. Anybody else having any luck with it?

stay safe,

AamirM
Have you seen the following page?
http://www.slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/
P.S. Maybe you can give the link to Stef, as he seemed clueless
That method is not really appropriate for this sort of FM synthesizer. Instead, the synthesizer core should be used to render samples 1:1 as with the actual hardware, then a general purpose resampler can be used to bring the output down to 44,100Hz or whatever. This is what Game_Music_Emu can already do for both GYM and VGM files, although not by default. (The default is a fixed multiple of the output sample rate, rather than the native sample rate.)

For example, another FM chip, the OPL2, is usually clocked at 3,579,545Hz, and generates samples every 72 clocks. So, optimal output rate is about 49,716Hz, which can be downsampled to 44,100Hz. For the YM2612, the output rate is 144 clocks per sample, or about 53,267Hz.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Thanks. Blargg already cleared this up for me.

stay safe,

AamirM
fmartine

CONFIGURATION

Post by fmartine »

Hi all ,
i'd like to remap GUI key configuration of Regen,
in regen.ini i read "Exit=", i'd like to set "End" key as Exit key for the emulator.
I tried with "Exit=End", doesn't work!!! :(

Do i have to use a different key name for "End"key?

thank in advice

francesco (Italy)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: CONFIGURATION

Post by Deathlike2 »

fmartine wrote:Hi all ,
i'd like to remap GUI key configuration of Regen,
in regen.ini i read "Exit=", i'd like to set "End" key as Exit key for the emulator.
I tried with "Exit=End", doesn't work!!! :(

Do i have to use a different key name for "End"key?

thank in advice

francesco (Italy)
What you should do is copy the value Regen stores the "End" key for a button to the Exit key. If that's not taken as input, then go figure.

"End" is not a common quit key... (my opinion, not that it matters).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
fmartine

Post by fmartine »

Ok , i know i have to find the regen value for "End" key, and i konw that "end" key is not a usually key (but i need it)....
I didn't find any documentation about key for regen..
Can you help me?
I have another problem , i'd like to open rom file directly with regen , i associate rom files with regen executable , but when i run a rom files everything works fine only if regen.exe is in the same directory of rom files, i'd like to use a different directory for storing rom files ...
My systems are Widows XP and Vista, same problem...
Do you have any soluton?

thanks

Francesco
fmartine

Post by fmartine »

Ok , i read documentation...
it says

How can I change emulator shortcuts?
------------------------------------

See the configuration file for examples. In general, you must take care of the following:

* Case sensitivity. Alt != ALT
* Three key combinations are not possible. Like
- Alt + X = allowed
- Ctrl + Alt + X = not allowed
* Spacing. For example:
- Ctrl + C = allowed
- Ctrl+C = not allowed
* Except the ENTER key other keys like TAB, Delete, Home, Page Up etc... are not allowed.

So i can't use "End" key so,I tried with ENTER key setting the value as:

Exit=ENTER

but it doesn't still work!!!!!
fmartine

Post by fmartine »

I found the problem ...
Enter key is used during emulation for "Pause" , i'd like to change it but
inside the ini file there's no refernce for "Pause" switch....
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

@ fmartine

Sorry, but there is no way to remap Exit command to 'End' key right now. I will add it in the next version. Probably the best solution right now for you would be to remap it to some function key (F7 or something). Hope it helps. Feel free to suggest any other better way. So can implement it in the next version.

stay safe,

AamirM
fmartine

Post by fmartine »

OK , i made it using a remap utility .. now it work with F1 as End
What about the problem of windows set file association?

thanks
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

I'll see that problem. Thanks for reproting.

stay safe,

AamirM
Googer

Post by Googer »

AamirM wrote:Hi,

Do you mean keeping the aspect ratio? If yes, than its already implemented :) .

stay safe,

AamirM
Regen is really good; this is about all the current version is missing to make it nearly perfect IMO for use on my HTPC (which is obviously hooked up to a 16:9 screen ;)). I know you already said this is in the Linux port; can I assume it should make it into the next Windows release as well (whenever that will be)? :)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

@ Googer

I'll add it in next Windows version. I too have been wanting this feature but didn't get the time.

King of Chaos, can you please add this to the feature request list so I don't forget it. :)

stay safe,

AamirM
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Sure, can do! :)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
xythen

Post by xythen »

I'm having an audio problem with Regen that I hope someone here can help me with.

Every 46 seconds (according to the ingame clock in Sonic 1) the audio "hiccups". It's as if it jumps back by ~0.2 seconds, causing it to play that little part twice. It happens on every rom I've tried, and with various audio & video settings (different sampling rates, super HQ on/off, vsync on/off, windowed & fullscreen modes...)

I should mention that the audio itself doesn't go out of sync because of this, and the video doesn't seem to jump, which leads me to think that maybe the audio is slowly drifting out of sync and this is it "correcting" itself.

Here's my specs;

Intel C2D E7200
2GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP3
Creative X-fi Elite Pro sound card

Also, I just recently upgraded most of the hardware in my PC and it happened before the upgrade too. The only piece of hardware I didn't replace was the X-fi sound card.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Did it happened on versions older than 0.77 too? A few people have reported sound problems and all they have in common is the WinXP SP3.

stay safe,

AamirM
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Did it happened on versions older than 0.77 too? A few people have reported sound problems and all they have in common is the WinXP SP3.

stay safe,

AamirM
Huh! I have SP3 but I haven't had sound issues at all. Guess it depends on the person. But I do have issuse the low-pass filter. After 5-10 min. of being on, the sound either gets static or the volume goes waaay down and forces me to exit and open it up again (I have to disable the low-pass filter).
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

It must be some other thing then. Anybody else having the same problem? I'll look into it.

About the low-pass filter, yes it is a known bug which I have fixed. Wait for the next Windows release. Which will be after the linux release. :)

stay safe,

AamirM
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

It must be some other thing then. Anybody else having the same problem? I'll look into it.

About the low-pass filter, yes it is a known bug which I have fixed. Wait for the next Windows release. Which will be after the linux release. :)

stay safe,

AamirM
Thanks!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
xythen

Post by xythen »

stay safe,

AamirM
I've only tried v0.85. Is there somewhere I can download the older versions?

On the SP3 issue, before I upgraded my PC I was running SP2 and was still experiencing the audio glitch, so I don't think it's related in my case.

I just tried running the p3 version instead of the p4. The audio problem is still there, though I think it happens less often. Disabling VSync also seems to lower the frequency of it occurring. It could just be my imagination though!
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

xythen, try the following two versions:

First
Second

The second one is just the executable. You need to place it in the same folder in which you have 0.85 for it to work. Tell me if it fixes the problems.

stay safe,

AamirM
xythen

Post by xythen »

AamirM, I've tested the links you posted.

The second one (regen_fast.zip) has the same problem with both the regen_586 and regen_p4 .exe's.

The first one (Regen06_p4.zip) has a different problem; the audio no longer "hiccups", instead it becomes extremely distorted for a few second before smoothly returning to normal. This could be the same problem, just with a different outcome since it seems to happen at the same sort of intervals as the previous audio problem.

One other thing. I said in my first post that it was every 46 seconds, but this actually seems to change each time I load up the emulator.