No sound in DOS

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

schnappy

No sound in DOS

Post by schnappy »

Hey guys,
I dug out the ol' Pentium MMX 233mhz laptop to do some of the things I use to do on my Dad's old laptop (even older and less powerful than the forementioned) when I was 3. Doom, Wolf3d... :)

I've got everything going, another thing I remember me and my brother playing was emulators. I'm wanting to know a good Gameboy Color emulator... Oh I remember the hours and hours of time spent in Pokemans.

But I can't expect an answer for that here, but I'm hoping to get help with ZSNES. I don't have any sound! In Wolf3d and Warcraft, for sound, I select Sound Blaster and then auto detect for some setting and all is well... no such settings in ZSNES. Any suggestions?

Also another more general question about DOS (It may help to know that I'm using FreeDOS 1.0), no applications fill the entire screen. Is this a resolution limitation? Is there a way to stretch the screen (setting in DOS?)? ZSNES looks fugly as with the constant background colour changing.

Thanks in advance!
Schnappy
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: No sound in DOS

Post by odditude »

schnappy wrote:I don't have any sound! Any suggestions?
Check with the laptop manufacturer to see if there's any TSR for SB emulation under DOS. Also, check to see if someone with FreeDOS is aware of a workaround for whatever sound hardware your laptop uses.
schnappy wrote:Is there a way to stretch the screen?
If your laptop has this ability, it will be either be a toggle in the BIOS or a Fn-combo on the keyboard.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

If he has sound in other programs, no emulation is needed. Did you try adding the correct set BLASTER=blah line to autoexec.bat?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

schnappy wrote: Also another more general question about DOS (It may help to know that I'm using FreeDOS 1.0), no applications fill the entire screen. Is this a resolution limitation? Is there a way to stretch the screen (setting in DOS?)? ZSNES looks fugly as with the constant background colour changing.
That's not DOS, it's the laptop.

Older LCDs, such as the one you're using, often didn't have scaling hardware. Or it was togglable, as odditude said.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
schnappy wrote: Also another more general question about DOS (It may help to know that I'm using FreeDOS 1.0), no applications fill the entire screen. Is this a resolution limitation? Is there a way to stretch the screen (setting in DOS?)? ZSNES looks fugly as with the constant background colour changing.
That's not DOS, it's the laptop.

Older LCDs, such as the one you're using, often didn't have scaling hardware. Or it was togglable, as odditude said.
I could swear he was talking about the color0 changes(border) in 8bpp.

Code: Select all

Zsnes -0
But yes, if no app can fill the screen, it's not the emulator fault.
schnappy

Post by schnappy »

paulguy wrote:If he has sound in other programs, no emulation is needed. Did you try adding the correct set BLASTER=blah line to autoexec.bat?
I haven't added anything to the autoexec... I don't know much about it (though I can normally interpret it). BLASTER appears to be set, and looking at bios settings compared to autoexec it is set correctly.

In regards to the screen... only DOS and BIOS fill the screen completely, but other games like Doom, wolf3d and Warcraft fill it more (higher resolution). I can't find a setting or an Fn key to stretch screen :(

Thanks guys
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Try setting zsnes to it's native res. That's all I can imagine. The thing simply can't scale I guess.