FFVII Reunion Pack is crap

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Yes, but I just installed it today. But it does seem strange why it doesn't work.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The fact of the matter is that FF7 PC is a horrific disaster of coding. It works by chance as much as anything else on Win9x systems.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Low res, plus the code being 9x friendly (hello DOS).. you're expecting it to work? You could get away with lots more stuff under 9x than you do NT (particularly with memory)... yay for memory management that isn't braindead and boo to 9x resources that magically disappear over time.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Getting Final Fantasy VII PC to work on a NT environment is painful. I've had different installs of XP and Vista where the game worked and didn't work on the same PC.

Anyway, have you tried looking though this FAQ for any source of help? There is also a 4x resolution (1280x960) mod somewhere on the site if you want to try, I don't know how well it works.

On another note, FFVIIPC can be played at 640x480, but videos and fields (towns and such) are only at 320x240 with no filtering. The Menus and 3D rendered areas are only enhanced. FFVIIIPC was the only game to have full 640x480 support, including videos which are quite fun to watch but the codec (Bink) crashes randomly. Unfortunately the game has bad color translation from the PS bit depth to the PC's capable bit depths. The menu windows are somewhat ugly to look at.

EDIT: I think on the box I had, for FFVIIPC, it states "For Windows 95." That may be important to know.
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

I notice you have an NVIDIA card. Have you messed around with the graphics options? Again, follow instructions here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=2670.0
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Yep, did that and still no luck.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

Just play it in software mode, thats how ff7 is intended to look anyway.
Nvidia cards suck because no it's not the 'palletted textures' support, it's actually how mangled up their DirectX5/6/7 compatibility is in their post-July-2004 Forceware drivers.
If you have onboard video on your motherboard, even that may have a better chance of being more compatible with FF7 than your Geforce card.
o^_^o
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

http://savvygeek.com/2007/10/05/final-f ... red-glory/

That's the best site I found when installing FFVII.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

*looks at site*

"Final Fantasy 7 is almost universally declared to be one of the greatest role-playing games of all time."
Universally among people that never played an RPG before that, and became shameless Square whores after that, sure.
Outside of that rather loud market segment, there's a lot of debate.

" and the graphics would only display up to 640×480 resolution." as opposed to being locked at 320*240? It's a port of a Playstation game, for pete's sake.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Apart for the editorial, the tutorial is good.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I've seen a lot of people who were console RPG players before FF7 claiming it to be the best RPG ever.

Regardless, it's not deserving of best ever, if only for the damned translation.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:I've seen a lot of people who were console RPG players before FF7 claiming it to be the best RPG ever.

Regardless, it's not deserving of best ever, if only for the damned translation.
It's a far from universal opinion once you get out of that specific market.
Certainly, there's some that think it's the best ever.
There's also some that think Earthbound is the best ever.
And some that think Valkyrie Profile is the best ever.
And some that think FF6 is the best ever.
And some that think Chrono Trigger is the best ever.
And some that think Lunar 2 is the best ever.
And so on.

Now, what does universal mean?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I wasn't disputing that, just that there are those who were RPGers before FF7 who think it's the best RPG ever.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

The topic "Best RPG ever" is really stale.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

... sez the guy who brought it up.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Except I didn't "bring it up."
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:I wasn't disputing that, just that there are those who were RPGers before FF7 who think it's the best RPG ever.
I never said there weren't. Just that there's a lot more debate once you get out of the Square whores that started with FF7.