Disable text: "state auto loaded." ?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Medox
Rookie

Disable text: "state auto loaded." ?

Post by Medox »

How do I disable the text: "state auto loaded." when I reopen a game?

I'm using zsnes 1.51 for dos and I'm working on a bootable cd with snes games, everything works fine but I get that text when I load my game, not a big deal, I know, but is there a way to disable the pop-up text from save/load state activities?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

That message is caused by enabling Config->Saves->Auto State Save/Load.

You can't disable the message though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Medox
Rookie

Post by Medox »

Deathlike2 wrote:That message is caused by enabling Config->Saves->Auto State Save/Load.
I know :) I wanted it in this way
Deathlike2 wrote:You can't disable the message though
I'll live with it :(
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

The best part is where he's using Auto State Save/Load from a cd.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

well, collection of 3000+ .jma files were more 2 gigs, i know certain peoples made boot such bootable disc themshelf

Code: Select all

config.sys
shell=zsnesd.exe
yeah on dos (disc) boot, 8.3 renaming were godsent indeed, thank you malcster, Nach
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:You can't disable the message though.
Don't we have an option to disable such system messages ? ¬_¬
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:You can't disable the message though.
Don't we have an option to disable such system messages ? ¬_¬
No, I don't think we have that. Just "Use small message text" and "Use transparent text".
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

<Deathlike> grinvader: the answer to your zboard question is no :P
<grinvader> write it up on The List, then
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Owned by both IRC and the Zboard. Impressive!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'm not owned ! I'm... what they say... argumenticaliciously challenged.
Yeah that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

All these subtle hints are all answered in the cfg file.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Medox
Rookie

Post by Medox »

Kajuru wrote:The best part is where he's using Auto State Save/Load from a cd.
Do I really need to explain everything? It takes to much time but for you I'll try...

I'm curently working on a big bootable cd/dvd with many snes games, using zsnes after entering dos and a menu that appears after exiting the snes game (no gui = "-m" parameter) and that custom bcdw menu contains options like this:

- resume game = zsnes.exe -m %game%.smc (auto state save/load enabled)
the workaround I've made to get to that custom bcdw menu and to still resume the game closed 10 seconds ago... so the game reloads but with the new %game%.zss added to the ramdrive 10 seconds ago ... this is the only way I know to disable that zsnes gui and to get a great custom menu with many boot cd based options, like the next ones...

- reset game
del %game%.zss (from the ramdrive)
zsnes.exe -m %game%.smc

- reload snes games list/menu
also a custom menu for browsing many pages of snes games, cdshell based... this menu is a submenu of the 1st menu that shows up, easyboot based, with XP SP3, Hiren, etc...

- reload 1st menu
returns to the easyboot based one (using easyboot's ezboot.com and other complicated stuff)

- restart pc

- shut down pc

- etc... (this aren't the 1:1 titles)

So you see (I hoppe) that Auto State Save/Load can be usefull even with a cd, the "best part" is using a ramdrive ;) So, please, don't make jokes if you don't know...
I know that after rebooting the progress is gone = zss file deleted but that's fine with me... for now... (best for having 2 player games bootable everywhere) but I also plan to add a option that saves the current state to the hdd and all this from the boot cd, searching for a present drive letter and maybe partitioning the whole hdd if needed/wanted and installing everything (tons of games) for a later use without the cd/dvd, but I'm thinking too big for now :)
Agozer wrote:
grinvader wrote:Don't we have an option to disable such system messages ? ¬_¬
No, I don't think we have that. Just "Use small message text" and "Use transparent text".
I've already done that but it's still there... and still reapears everytime I resume or reset the game from my bcdw menu = "unable to load state auto." (in the last case)... Isn't there a way to remove that text from one of the source files? If so, tell me where to search for it and I'll try my best. Thanks.

p.s. there also exists keys to pause or reset the game without exiting zsnes but a noob hits "esc" instinctively and using zsnes with "-m" parameter would be a no go for him, also the gui that I don't want him to access, so maybe you see why all this workaround... just to have it user/noob-friendly, restrictioned in the same time and very customizable (by me) :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ip5R3rWlw][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Medox2006/DMUB.png[/img][/url]
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

edit the zsnes source and recompile (have fun with that).

or

download upx, type "upx -d zsnesw.exe -o zsnesD.exe" at a command line in the zsnes folder. open zsnesD.exe with a hex editor, and put a bunch of spaces overwriting said text. optionally recompress zsnesD.exe to save over 2 megabytes.

those are two ways of doing it. if you don't understand any of that, then the answer is indeed no.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Medox
Rookie

Post by Medox »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:download upx, type "upx -d zsnesw.exe -o zsnesD.exe" at a command line in the zsnes folder. open zsnesD.exe with a hex editor, and put a bunch of spaces overwriting said text. optionally recompress zsnesD.exe to save over 2 megabytes.
Thanks! :) I've played around with upx and my hex-editor and now everything works perfectly...

Here's a short HowTo for those interested in using the state auto save/load option without showing details of the workaround, like "state auto loaded" and still get a dos version of zsnes working from a ramdrive created by the cd configuration (autoexec.bat and all that) BUT without the gui... that means a menu (e.g. cdshell based) that has a long list of snes games and another menu that appears when you hit escape within a snes game... this one containing your own custom style and options like the ones I've posted earlier...

If you do so, the "resume game" is a must have! For this you must restrict any access to the gui for children, girls or noobs but still add a user-friendly menu that resumes a game... and here are the details:

First (like PHoNyMiKe already posted above), download upx ("Win32 console version" in this case) an extract it somewhere...

Get the zsnes dos version and extract it in the new upx folder, you'll need zsnes.exe...

Create a text file in this folder (e.g. decompress.txt) then add & save this in it:

upx -d zsnes.exe -o zsnesD.exe
Now rename the extension of the file from .txt to .bat and run the new decompress.bat file.

Now use a hex-editor to open the new obtained zsnesD.exe file and replace the text highlighted in the following pictures, with spaces: (click'em...)

1) Image

2) Image

3) Image (this was a lil' bit hard to find)

4) Image

5) Image

this 5 pictures are related to the next 2...

After adding spaces instead of the text you'll need to compress the large, 2.9MB, zsnesD.exe to ~600KB, again, using upx... go to the upx folder, select and drag & drop the zsnesD.exe into upx.exe and you'll have the final ~600KB "modded" zsnes for dos... :)

Question for the experts:

What's the difference between "upx zsnesD.exe" and "upx --brute zsnesD.exe" when I recompress everything? I get a ~500KB zsnes after much more time BUT is it still stable like the other, quick, compressed version? I don't see a difference, not a big one...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ip5R3rWlw][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Medox2006/DMUB.png[/img][/url]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

UPX shouldn't effect anything during runtime past the startup delay while it's decompressed in to memory. I imagine that option is just the slow, intense compression method.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

--brute just checks all the exe compression/filtering algos for the best combination for the exe you're working on.

(Before you had to test each using --best --[filter1|filter2|...] --crp-ms=999999, and keep the best one manually)
皆黙って俺について来い!!