Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

you have vsync turn on?
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Of course.

But what's this stuff about Regen selecting the best form of buffering for your system? Sounds fishy to me. My experience with Triple Buffering is that it creates lag between user input and the game. Double Buffering (Vsync) always seems to work best.
Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

Found one more sound issue today, this time in Altered Beast (USA, Europe), it seems that the first normal zombies we encounter in the first level don't seem to make sounds when they get punched.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Thanks, Aamir, for solving the fullscreen issue; the Resolution Switch and the Aspect Radio thingy work perfectly! :)
Until next post...
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

I'm pretty sure your Aspect Ratio Correction considering the chosen fullscreen resolution does a better job than Kega because I have smaller black borders at the top and bottom of the screen! YAY!

Regarding the sound: Sounds that begin playing "seem" to cut out more frequently when other sounds start playing. I've played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles more times than I can count on a million different emulators, Sega sanctioned and otherwise and on real hardware, and I don't know whether it's just because your accurate core creates crisper sounds, I'm just being picky, or sounds actually are getting cutoff.

EDIT: Interesting find. Download this demo hack of the Sonic 1 rom and play it in Regen. http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev//for ... .php?t=424 The demo replaces the music in-game with 22 KHz PCM. (Very cool!) When the PCM is playing in Regen, there are no "Ring" or "Kill Enemies and TVs" sounds. Now play the rom in Kega. Kega plays the PCM and still can handle the sounds.

Does this shed some light on the sound cutting-out problem?

http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev//for ... .php?t=424
Last edited by SmartOne on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Did you read the forum rules before you post that rom? Even if the rom is hack. :roll:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

In university right now. Will take a look at the reports when I get back home.

stay safe,

AamirM
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Dullaron wrote:Did you read the forum rules before you post that rom? Even if the rom is hack. :roll:
Unnecessary posts are unnecessary.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
Of course.

But what's this stuff about Regen selecting the best form of buffering for your system? Sounds fishy to me. My experience with Triple Buffering is that it creates lag between user input and the game. Double Buffering (Vsync) always seems to work best.
It selects the settings which will result in most smoothest and tear free video. And the vsync option in menu has no effect in fullscreen :) . Thats because vsyncing in fullscreen does not block the emu like in windowed mode. So there shouldn't be any input lag at all. In fact, lag should be lesser than double buffering. Triple buffering works awesomely on my crappy onboard 64MB video card (intel 915).
Found one more sound issue today, this time in Altered Beast (USA, Europe), it seems that the first normal zombies we encounter in the first level don't seem to make sounds when they get punched.
Sounds fine here. Although it seems that if you hit many zombies very quickly then they don't make that sound. But it happens in Kega as well.
Regarding the sound: Sounds that begin playing "seem" to cut out more frequently when other sounds start playing. I've played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles more times than I can count on a million different emulators, Sega sanctioned and otherwise and on real hardware, and I don't know whether it's just because your accurate core creates crisper sounds, I'm just being picky, or sounds actually are getting cutoff.
Really can't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you please elaborate moe and give some noticeable example? (or even a savestate if its not much hassle).
EDIT: Interesting find. Download this demo hack of the Sonic 1 rom and play it in Regen. **EDIT out, DUMBone** The demo replaces the music in-game with 22 KHz PCM. (Very cool!) When the PCM is playing in Regen, there are no "Ring" or "Kill Enemies and TVs" sounds. Now play the rom in Kega. Kega plays the PCM and still can handle the sounds.
That demo won't even run on the real thing to begin with. So Kega is already wrong there. So comparing with that is useless. But if you are wondering why its working in Regen, then open regen.ini and set "EmulateLockups=1". Regen will spit out that the system has locked up because of illegal accesses which the real thing won't allow and will really lock up if tried. Although I haven't looked (feeling too lazy atm) but I am guessing that the demo requires some illegal areas to return some values. But the Z80 driver is seriously very awesome indeed. I will look at it in detail later but its not a high priority right now.

stay safe,

AamirM
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Thanks for the Vsync info. What I was saying about the sounds was they sometimes get clipped when other sounds start. It seemed to happen more than usual.

I'm not sure if I'm noticing something that isn't there.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

SmartOne wrote:
Dullaron wrote:Did you read the forum rules before you post that rom? Even if the rom is hack. :roll:
Not really, considering he could have just reported your post like a dick.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I.S.T. wrote:
SmartOne wrote:
Not really, considering he could have just reported your post like a dick.
Which is a suprise, considering we're all dicks. ;)

in any case, consider this your warning, smartone. ROM link edited out at the very least.

heh, smartone indeed. didn't even bother to read the rules. :roll:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hacks that are untested on the original console are not worthy of conversation in terms of improving emulation accuracy.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Don't we all just love conflicts?
Making fun of my nickname isn't original. I make fun of it sometimes, myself.

RELAX, PEOPLE.

I posted the hack for the good of the cause, not because I'm out to break the rules.

No matter what you say, it's an interesting find how Kega can play the sounds over the top of the PCM and Regen can't. Even if it won't work on real hardware, it's still good to point out differences between what used to be the most accurate Genesis emulator and what (hopefully) will become 100% accurate.

Be nice. Courteous. Though I think that might be lost here.
End of conflict.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

smartone more like dumbone lawl
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:you have vsync turn on?
Main vsync turn on

(you can now resume mocking !smrtone)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
Its really not funny making fun of someone like that. Seems like mods ain't in a good mood today :? .

@SmartOne:

You should read the rules otherwise people really get chewed out here :D .

So everybody just forgive each other and lets get back on YM2612 shall we ;) . Speaking of which, who is this Steve Snake really?? He seems to have cracked like everything. Every time I think that I finally have done it yet pops up another thing which Kega gets right. I am talking about sound in Spiderman Venom - Anxiety Separation.

stay safe,

AamirM
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

AamirM wrote:
Its really not funny making fun of someone like that. Seems like mods ain't in a good mood today :? .
Hate to do this buddy (Really, I do) but...

WELCOME TO THE ZSNES BOARD

(we now resume you to your regularly scheduled topic about the YM2612.)
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I believe he used to work for Sega back in the Genesis days...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I.S.T. wrote:I believe he used to work for Sega back in the Genesis days...
You are going to put the guy back in the Witness Protection Program with those kinds of statements!
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

AamirM, you're not telling me that Steve Snake's core is still better?! :D
Are you?
adventure_of_link wrote:Hate to do this buddy (Really, I do) but...

WELCOME TO THE ZSNES BOARD

(we now resume you to your regularly scheduled topic about the YM2612.)
That's an immature expectation of what the "ZSNES BOARD[s]" should be.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

SmartOne wrote:AamirM, you're not telling me that Steve Snake's core is still better?! :D
Are you?
It is in some ways, but in other AamirM's is better. I'm sure that when all is said and done, Aamirm's will be better or equal across the board.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

I.S.T. wrote:It is in some ways, but in other AamirM's is better. I'm sure that when all is said and done, Aamirm's will be better or equal across the board.
I really hope (and expect) it to be better. That's why I'm so interested in Regen. I'll do all I can to help.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

SmartOne wrote:AamirM, you're not telling me that Steve Snake's core is still better?!
Yes, it is (I'm not going to sugar coat it or deny it). Snake's YM2612 core is the most complete and most accurate overall out of them all right now, even though it does lack some of the things Nemesis has found as of late, and the fact that AamirM's core is catching up. ;)
AamirM wrote:Speaking of which, who is this Steve Snake really?? He seems to have cracked like everything. Every time I think that I finally have done it yet pops up another thing which Kega gets right. I am talking about sound in Spiderman Venom - Anxiety Separation.
He's a professional game developer whom has worked on several very important games, including both NBA Jam games (hell, he's a secret character in the game) whom has first hand experience with Sega's hardware and development practices (not to mention modern consoles as well). Hell, for the 32X port of NBA Jam T.E., he pushed development of the game to allow it to push the 32X's limits take take full advantage of the 32X hardware.

He's the first person whom developed a YM2612 core after being told it was impossible to do back in the 1990's, which he did in DGen (or was it KGen?).
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Didn't Regen release .85 claim that its core was as accurate as Kega's?