Save States

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

quinsential

Save States

Post by quinsential »

Is it at all possible to redesign the save state feature so you can save to file instead of save to state? The reason i ask this is, unless you write down which game save state between 1-10 for each game you play, its easy to forget which slot has your save game data.

So if you were able to save the state to a file, it would make using Zsnes less frustrating and more enjoyable.

(Example of another emulator which uses this type of save state to file is called "Amiga Classix 4")

I hope you will consider my request.

Thanks for your time.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

FYI, there is a reasonably nice picture preview that is contained in the states that is viewable through F3, and I don't see how you renaming the feature that it would change the actual operation.. which is saving a savestate. It's not "just a file" after all.

Of course, this assumes you are saving/loading savestates via F2/F4 respectively.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Re: Save States

Post by Aerdan »

quinsential wrote:Is it at all possible to redesign the save state feature so you can save to file instead of save to state? The reason i ask this is, unless you write down which game save state between 1-10 for each game you play, its easy to forget which slot has your save game data.

So if you were able to save the state to a file, it would make using Zsnes less frustrating and more enjoyable.

(Example of another emulator which uses this type of save state to file is called "Amiga Classix 4")

I hope you will consider my request.

Thanks for your time.
It's not going to happen. The reason it's not going to happen is because you're quite capable of writing notes to yourself, whether on paper or in Notepad.
quinsential

Save States

Post by quinsential »

Well i guess i was wrong to ask for a new feature to be added i must of posted in the wrong section. I thort this section "Bug Reports/Feature Requests" was the right place to aw i dont know, maybe ask for a request?

I see the error of my ways, why improve on something that doesn't need improving Hey i know how about no new features at all, oh hang on that would stop the developers from making new versions.

And we can't have that now can we 8)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Let me just say it might change. No guarentees there.

Still, the smartalec reply was not warrented.

Just because you have you a suggestion, it doesn't mean it will get implemented. Lots of suggestions do get rejected by the devs, just based on the nature of the requests. There have been many dumb requests before, and I'm not saying yours is one of them, but you have to recognize that these ideas aren't just going to be added because you want it added. You can try and do it yourself if you were able to.

Besides, there are actually more than 10 slots if you use ZSNES 1.50 or later and have read the docs.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
quinsential

Save States

Post by quinsential »

I want to appologise for my sarcastic comment, I just dont like it when people talk down to me like i am a retard/child, i thort my idea was a valid one, wether or not it gets accepted is up to the developers.

Again i am sorry.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

The F3 menu shows you screenshots and timestamps on each state you've saved; generally this is enough to identify which state file you'd like to load.

Allowing arbitrary filenames, while it could be convenient, opens up a massive potential for usage stupidity.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Arbitrary filenames are nice. It makes using SMVs really convenient for the viewer.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

wait for new gui, geh

don't expect f2/f3/f4 to use those, though. Quicksave and file open dialogs aren't compatible in my book
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

odditude wrote:...while it could be convenient, opens up a massive potential for usage stupidity.
and this board already gets enough of it
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

What about just the option to name your saves like in old computer games, while still keeping the slots system, but you also retain quicksave/load? Not that it's particularly necessary, some people might find a use for it. I imagine adding file names support and a quicksave/load to blah option would replace this, though.