Megaman 9 coming to Wii Ware

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The more I look at that art, the more I think they're intentionally pulling the worst of all Megaman boxes.
Well, except Megaman 1. They took the best of that. :P

But the base Megaman design is mainly from the european MM1 box, the Megabuster is from the european MM2, the handgun is from the US MM2... anyways, nerding out horribly here. I've got no idea where they got the post-apocalyptic background and RoboWily.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Oh, this is intentional? Really? You think so? Wow.

Dude, none of it is "from" anything. Like the game itself, it's about the general vibe.

I mean, you don't have to like it. It's just silly that you have so much trouble understanding why they do it, and why anyone else would like it.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

snkcube wrote:http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog ... man_bosses

Strange bosses I say!
After 9 games, it would be kind of hard to come up with original bosses, I think.

And man, I don't know if I should get a X360 or a Wii, I can get this game on any of them.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:Oh, this is intentional? Really? You think so? Wow.

Dude, none of it is "from" anything. Like the game itself, it's about the general vibe.

I mean, you don't have to like it. It's just silly that you have so much trouble understanding why they do it, and why anyone else would like it.
You're being a self-contradictory asshat.

If it's intentional, then the design elements ARE from other packages.
If none of it is "from" anything, then the lifting of the UK MM1 Megaman, UK MM2 Megabuster, and US MM2 handgun is not intentional.

The general argument seems to be it's a direct homage to the US MM1 box.
I'm seeing major design elements from other boxes, though, and the central image carries very little of the US MM1 vibe, and notably lacks the wrinkly constipated guy that made it famous in the first place.

If it's about the general vibe of anything, they missed. It's got the "LOL UGLY!", but not any real connection beyond that.
If it's about making a montage of horrible Megaman art elements, they're doing good.

As I said, the more I look at it, the more I think they're intentionally pulling the worst elements of all previous Megaman box arts and assembling them into a single grotesque Frankenbox.
And they still screwed up the 80s 3D grid. :(
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Hey fucktards, knock it off before you get this thread locked. Anyway, it was just announced that they may be selling the packaging to the publics.

Edit: Also, review.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

casualsax3 wrote:Hey fucktards, knock it off before you get this thread locked. Anyway, it was just announced that they may be selling the packaging to the publics.

Edit: Also, review.
But just for a "limited time"! :cry:
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

casualsax3 wrote:Hey fucktards, knock it off before you get this thread locked.
Err... what the hell are you talking about ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Anyone get it yet? It is awesome.
~Bent
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Bent wrote:Anyone get it yet? It is awesome.
I've yet to get it. Hopefully by today though.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

I'm waiting on the 360 version. Hacked my dpad in anticipation and everything.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

When Nintendo actually starts producing Wiis, I might check it out. Until then ... well, I'm hoping someone backports it to the NES / SNES. That'd rock.

And yes, I'm sure I could get one if I really wanted it. It's really more a principle thing. I've still yet to see one on a shelf in my parts (I don't care if you have. That does me no good, does it?) If sleeping on the streets, or paying scalpers, is the only way to get a console after two years of production ... then no thank you. I can wait. Damned if MM9 isn't tempting, though :(
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Actually, on a sort of related note... what's with the delay in the 360 version's release? It's not like they're releasing a different game, and it's not like they're having issues with production or anything. The 360 version is scheduled for October 1, a full ten days after the Wii version and a full week after the PS3 gets it. What the hell?
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Duke Nukem 3D came out on XBLA.

they're giving each game their own space to be showcased. i'm sure it also maximizes profits all around as well
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

byuu wrote:
When Nintendo actually starts producing Wiis, I might check it out. Until then ... well, I'm hoping someone backports it to the NES / SNES. That'd rock.

And yes, I'm sure I could get one if I really wanted it. It's really more a principle thing. I've still yet to see one on a shelf in my parts (I don't care if you have. That does me no good, does it?) If sleeping on the streets, or paying scalpers, is the only way to get a console after two years of production ... then no thank you. I can wait. Damned if MM9 isn't tempting, though :(
I'm surprised you are having problems. Out where I am (Sudbury) even the local Shopper's Drug Mart has Wiis. The only thing I had problems with was finding an Xbox 360 pro, but I managed to get one last week.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

most stores in the spokane area are holding onto their wiis for a few days now.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

still haven't found wiis, although there is/was a rumor that over in the florence, KY target (or was it meijer?) had them.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Louis Cypher wrote:I'm waiting on the 360 version. Hacked my dpad in anticipation and everything.
Explain this. I too am waiting for the 360 version.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

sweener2001 wrote:Duke Nukem 3D came out on XBLA.

they're giving each game their own space to be showcased. i'm sure it also maximizes profits all around as well
HI
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

GIEF EUROPE MM9 KTHXBYE

Seriously, they released it today in Germany, as they push updates to WiiWare and Virtual Console on fridays. Just bought it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

casualsax3 wrote:
Louis Cypher wrote:I'm waiting on the 360 version. Hacked my dpad in anticipation and everything.
There's a few 360 pad mods.

I know of one that involves sanding parts, and another that involves just swapping the d-pad with a XBox S pad d-pad.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
casualsax3 wrote:

I know of one that involves sanding parts, and another that involves just swapping the d-pad with a XBox S pad d-pad.
don't forget about the one-handed XBox 360 controller.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

So back on topic....

The game is very fun to play. The stages are fun to play even though some of them are hard. What's interesting is how fast people are beating the game. Last time I checked the leaderboard, the fastest was around 22 minutes.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
casualsax3 wrote:

The one I did involved inserting a little piece of plastic (cut, in my case, from the lid of a Pringles can) between the dpad assembly and the rubber contact bit. No sanding involved, and it made the pad nice and clicky. If you do this, note that you need to cut a big enough hole in the middle of the plastic that it sits snug against the dpad assembly; in my first few attempts said hole was not big enough, causing it to float ABOVE the plastic and making the pad even worse.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:You're being a self-contradictory asshat.

If it's intentional, then the design elements ARE from other packages.
If none of it is "from" anything, then the lifting of the UK MM1 Megaman, UK MM2 Megabuster, and US MM2 handgun is not intentional.

The general argument seems to be it's a direct homage to the US MM1 box.
I'm seeing major design elements from other boxes, though, and the central image carries very little of the US MM1 vibe, and notably lacks the wrinkly constipated guy that made it famous in the first place.

If it's about the general vibe of anything, they missed. It's got the "LOL UGLY!", but not any real connection beyond that.
If it's about making a montage of horrible Megaman art elements, they're doing good.

As I said, the more I look at it, the more I think they're intentionally pulling the worst elements of all previous Megaman box arts and assembling them into a single grotesque Frankenbox.
And they still screwed up the 80s 3D grid. :(

Haha oh god. All I can say is, wow, way to overanalyse, you horrible geek. I'm not even gonna respond to all of that since it's all silly. You're sounding like the comic book guy.

Yes, it's just the general vibe that matters. The game is supposed to make you feel what MM9 would look like had it been made around that time, same for the "box art". I mean, when they made the MM2 boxart, do you seriously think they'd have gone like, hey let's take this and that element from the MM1 boxart? Of course not, but it still ends up looking weird in the same way.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

If it's supposed to look like old MM box art, the artists would have been stupid not to look at old MM box art for inspiration, and that would pretty much automatically result in it having elements from all of them.

Why are you getting all upset about this?