The Super Game Boy DOES work.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

The borders are from Bomberman Quest, Dragon Warrior 1&2, Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 & 2, Game & Watch Gallery series, Goemon 2, Kaseki 2, Transformers, Detective Conan, Konami GB Collection, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Revelations, Bonk, Namco arcade Collection and others.

I didn't post the Kirby ones because I don't think they are all that hot.
But maybe that's because I'm tired of seeing them already.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

>.> forgive me for being stupid, but is the gray statues border the Zelda border?
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

I.S.T. wrote:>.> forgive me for being stupid, but is the gray statues border the Zelda border?
I believe the Zelda border is the island with the egg from the title screen of Z:L'sA. I <3 that game, though I got the DX version. I never had an original gameboy, only GBC.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I.S.T. wrote:That's a Dragon Quest Slime there.
Ah, thanks.

I've never played many gameboy games and missed out on the SGB so kindly excuse my ignorance :(
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

I played the original DQ for a couple hours and got slaughtered. The grind on that game is asdf but might be worth it since its a "classic" and all.

slimez
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

gllt wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:>.> forgive me for being stupid, but is the gray statues border the Zelda border?
I believe the Zelda border is the island with the egg from the title screen of Z:L'sA. I <3 that game, though I got the DX version. I never had an original gameboy, only GBC.
DX version is the one you need for SGB support anyways(as a dual-mode game, it runs on both original and GBColor hardware classes).

Original version is pre-SGB.

And I feel obligated to point out that that's Beast Wars, not regular Transformers.

And I was guessing the top-right was Puyo Puyo. :(
</joke... or IS it?>
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

The 2nd through the 5th borders are from Dragon Warrior 1&2& Monsters.
The one with the gray statues is from Revelations: The Demon Slayer (from the Megami Tensei titles).
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
gllt wrote:
DX version is the one you need for SGB support anyways(as a dual-mode game, it runs on both original and GBColor hardware classes).

Original version is pre-SGB.

And I feel obligated to point out that that's Beast Wars, not regular Transformers.

And I was guessing the top-right was Puyo Puyo. :(
</joke... or IS it?>
Beast Wars II.

Thanks for the info, ReyVGM.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

I.S.T. wrote:Wait, that series is STILL going in Japan? Holy fuck!

Tomato, did you work on the translation side of the dub, by any chance?
I pretty much just do the sub translation and timing, and that's passed on to the dub writers to mess with.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

I.S.T. wrote:Not even a snowballs chance. That's a Dragon Quest Slime there.

I'm guessing one of the Dragon Quest Monster 2 games, DW/Q1+2 or DW/Q3.
3 was a GBC-only game (thus not compatible with a real SGB).

I'm going to guess no GBC-only games have borders (a waste just for a warning screen)?
byuu

Post by byuu »

I pretty much just do the sub translation and timing, and that's passed on to the dub writers to mess with.
So ... how much longer before you get to season 17, eg episode 517+? :)
And let's not forget about the 20+ movies :D

Seriously, by now Conan should be an adult again anyway.
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

KingMike wrote:
I'm going to guess no GBC-only games have borders (a waste just for a warning screen)?

No GBC only games have borders.
Although, that nensondubois guy claimed he has seen a border for Pokemon Crystal a couple of times, but he doesn't know how he got it. But then again, people claimed Subzero turned into a polar bear in Mortal Kombat 2.

However, Blaster Master Enemy Below has a border in the USA. But the Japanese version (Meta Fight EX), is somehow GBC only.

And Quest RPG in the USA is GBC only, yet in Japan (Jack no Daibouken) it's not, so it has a border.

Tetris DX has a special border if you play it on a Super Game Boy 2. Strange thing considering the game came out before the SGB2.

Also, the game Golf Classic, that came out a year before the SGB, also has a border. Strangely enough.

As for the warning screen, some games have really cool ones. I took screenshots of all them.
The Neo Geo Pocket SNK vs Capcom ones are hilarious.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

ReyVGM wrote: Tetris DX has a special border if you play it on a Super Game Boy 2. Strange thing considering the game came out before the SGB2.

Also, the game Golf Classic, that came out a year before the SGB, also has a border. Strangely enough.
Not strange in the slightest. Both the SGB and SGB2 have specific game checking and if a matching game is found, it loads a border from the SGB ROM, not the DMG game ROM.

Although there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason the the list Nintendo picked to add borders for.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snkcube »

byuu wrote:
So ... how much longer before you get to season 17, eg episode 517+? :)
And let's not forget about the 20+ movies :D

Seriously, by now Conan should be an adult again anyway.
That poison sure is strong. :wink:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

Nach wrote:
ReyVGM wrote: Tetris DX has a special border if you play it on a Super Game Boy 2. Strange thing considering the game came out before the SGB2.

Not strange in the slightest. Both the SGB and SGB2 have specific game checking and if a matching game is found, it loads a border from the SGB ROM, not the DMG game ROM.

Although there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason the the list Nintendo picked to add borders for.

I searched the insides of that Gold Classic game and the border seems to be included in the game. It's from a crappy company that only made like 5 games. Now I wonder how or why did they do that when the SGB still a year off?

I would understand Tetris DX, since that was made by Nintendo. Which also has the other border in the game unlockable by Gamegenie if you wish.

I don't think the SGB itself had any borders inside other than the ones that come with it.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

ReyVGM wrote:
Nach wrote:

I searched the insides of that Gold Classic game and the border seems to be included in the game. It's from a crappy company that only made like 5 games. Now I wonder how or why did they do that when the SGB still a year off?

I would understand Tetris DX, since that was made by Nintendo. Which also has the other border in the game unlockable by Gamegenie if you wish.

I don't think the SGB itself had any borders inside other than the ones that come with it.
snipped from: 'strings Super\ Gameboy\ \(J\)\ \(R2.0\) | more' wrote: ZELDA
SUPER MARIOLAND
MARIOLAND2
SUPERMARIOLAND3
KIRBY DREAM LAND
HOSHINOKA-BI
KIRBY'S PINBALL
YOSSY NO TAMAGO
MARIO & YOSHI
YOSSY NO COOKIE
YOSHI'S COOKIE
DR.MARIO
TETRIS
YAKUMAN
METROID2
KAERUNOTAMENI
GOLF
ALLEY WAY
BASEBALL
TENNIS
F1RACE
KID ICARUS
BALL
N KID
SOLARSTRIKER
GBWARS
What do you think the list of checks is for?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by ReyVGM »

Those aren't borders, those are color schemes.
That I know the SGB did.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And while I admit to not owning a lot of 8-bit Gameboy titles, most of the SGB support I saw was halfassed.
The games that supported SNES peripherals(including 2-gamepad) and enhanced sound were the minority.

Even high-profile titles like Pokemon and Megaman V(a series almost DEFINED by the protagonist's color) just swapped 4-color pallets with game area and threw up a frame.
Most of the time, the SGB logo on the box just meant a frame and A custom 4-color pallet.

Hell, Nintendo Power even complained about consistently poor SGB support. The corporate mouthpiece was frequently complaining about the fact that the SGB just didn't add anything worthwhile in GameBoy reviews.
I guess you can't blame the lack of color on the game designers.
From what I've heard, full-screen color support was almost unusable for moving screens. (a color overlay of the GB screen?)
nensondubois
Rookie

Post by nensondubois »

Does anyone know what colors are associated with each of these games? There may be more in the Super Game Boy 2 bios so, how did you find these?

ZELDA
SUPER MARIOLAND
MARIOLAND2
SUPERMARIOLAND3
KIRBY DREAM LAND
HOSHINOKA-BI
KIRBY'S PINBALL
YOSSY NO TAMAGO
MARIO & YOSHI
YOSSY NO COOKIE
YOSHI'S COOKIE
DR.MARIO
TETRIS
YAKUMAN
METROID2
KAERUNOTAMENI
GOLF
ALLEY WAY
BASEBALL
TENNIS
F1RACE
KID ICARUS
BALL
N KID
SOLARSTRIKER
GBWARS "

Maybe I can change the SGB bios header with Hex Workshop to force the colors.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

nensondubois wrote:how did you find these?
the very post you quoted from had the command Nach used. read more carefully.

Code: Select all

strings Super\ Gameboy\ \(J\)\ \(R2.0\) | more
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
nensondubois
Rookie

Post by nensondubois »

I also found the credits and a not for use on Super Famicom Message. I also found "X" which may be the game X - Xekkusu.