Might be interesting to emulator writers and all.

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Might be interesting to emulator writers and all.

Post by Panzer88 »

I thought this article was pretty interesting, discuss.

http://adamkinney.com/blog/374/default.aspx
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

don't hold your collective breath:
Of course, we are only at the second release of Silverlight and there are important missing features for people developing games or emulators. No raster bitmap support, no dynamic sound generation means you need to find some tricks (use images and transparent images for tiles and sprites, encode sounds in mp3, etc.).

I am pretty sure Microsoft will extend the set of WPF features supported in Silverlight in the future (WriteableBitmap, 3D api...) and I am convinced Silverlight will become a great platform for demos, games and rich applications in general.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

(use images and transparent images for tiles and sprites, encode sounds in mp3, etc.)
Yay.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Wow, sounds like a real Flash killer to me.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Flash is the lesser of 2 evils. At least Flash has Mac and Linux versions. Silverlight will probably always be Windows-only.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

It's already out for OSX and in development for Linux.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

ah, odditude beat me on the moonlight link!
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You can actually download the Mac runtimes from the MS site...
http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I'd be all for it, if I were willing to gut my brain out and start coding like a moron.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Justifier! »

I would like to learn how this Silverlight works and how to develop just like that.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:I'd be all for it, if I were willing to gut my brain out and start coding like a moron.
Start anticipating the douchebags that will demand for an SNES emulator for Flash.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

That'll be the day!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Nach wrote:I'd be all for it, if I were willing to gut my brain out and start coding like a moron.
Start anticipating the douchebags that will demand for an SNES emulator for Flash.
Not like we care about them

though some will ask for ZSNES on flash
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote: though some will ask for ZSNES on flash
Been there done that.

For some reason I get personal messages like once or twice a month to port ZSNES to everything under the sun.

We disallow requesting in on the board, but these people think that means they'll get a better response if they ask privately.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:
grinvader wrote: though some will ask for ZSNES on flash
Been there done that.

For some reason I get personal messages like once or twice a month to port ZSNES to everything under the sun.

We disallow requesting in on the board, but these people think that means they'll get a better response if they ask privately.
Hey, can you port ZSNES to my Atari 5200? Please?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

port it to the NES!!!!!111
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

admittedly there are not a lot of great reasons to do this sort of thing, but one of them is this.

http://www.quakelive.com/

which is basically free quake 3 online for anyone run from a browser officially from id, it'll be released in some months.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Panzer88 wrote:admittedly there are not a lot of great reasons to do this sort of thing, but one of them is this.

http://www.quakelive.com/

which is basically free quake 3 online for anyone run from a browser officially from id, it'll be released in some months.
The premise isn't bad, but I think the reality will suck.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

why is that? just speed issues? one thing is for sure it'll get a lot more people into it, even though free FPSs have been around forever, people who don't game are too lazy at times to even go to the hassle of downloading something vs. just trying it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Panzer88 wrote:why is that? just speed issues? one thing is for sure it'll get a lot more people into it, even though free FPSs have been around forever, people who don't game are too lazy at times to even go to the hassle of downloading something vs. just trying it.
Speed is not an issue, it's actually connecting it to a web browser... and making sure the resources are released properly and/or making sure the browser doesn't simply hang (Firefox primarily). You might as well be running Java...

Quake 3 has been around for forever, so running it under Flash or whatever shouldn't be problematic in terms of performance (you can simply limit the graphics to a baseline level on all platforms anyways).