Installation problem (Linux)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

b0wter

Installation problem (Linux)

Post by b0wter »

Hey

I've recently had to switch to linux and dont want to miss ZSNES, so I tried to get it running.
I'm using the latest version of ubuntu (8.10, 64bit) and downloaded all the libs to get ready to compile but get the following error when trying to 'make':

Code: Select all

g++  -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT  -D__OPENGL__ -march=native -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -fno-rtti -o tools/strutil.o -c tools/strutil.cpp
In file included from tools/strutil.cpp:22:
tools/strutil.h: In static member function ‘static int ci_char_traits::compare(const char*, const char*, size_t)’:
tools/strutil.h:34: error: ‘strncasecmp’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [tools/strutil.o] Error 1
Any ideas what went wrong?
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

You can't use zsnes on a 64-bit system, because a lot of the code is in x86 assembler. Maybe you could give bsnes a try? Maybe you could also get snes9x working, too. You'll have to use the command line for the linux version of snes9x, but there is a fork of snes9x that uses GTK (i.e. it has a GUI).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The search feature is your friend here:

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ht=strutil
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
b0wter

Post by b0wter »

I've read throught he whole thread but it didnt get me any close on fixing my problem. Like I said before these are my first steps using linux :/
I've tried these precompiled 1.5.1 experimental linux binaries but when trying to start ZSNES i get a segmentation fault.

I tried ./configure again and looked through it, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong, except for maybe:

----
checking for initscr in -lpdcurses... no
checking if you want libao support... no
----

is that anything to worry about?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

b0wter wrote:I've read throught he whole thread but it didnt get me any close on fixing my problem. Like I said before these are my first steps using linux :/
I've tried these precompiled 1.5.1 experimental linux binaries but when trying to start ZSNES i get a segmentation fault.
It's probably a distro provided libs issue for all I know.
I tried ./configure again and looked through it, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong, except for maybe:

----
checking for initscr in -lpdcurses... no
checking if you want libao support... no
----

is that anything to worry about?
You only need one curses lib installed so if you see the other curses lib saying yes, then you're fine. libao support is optional.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You don't even need curses if you ./autogen --disable-debugger or whatever that flag was, check --help for a list.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Franky wrote:You can't use zsnes on a 64-bit system, because a lot of the code is in x86 assembler.
Wrong :/
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Franky wrote:You can't use zsnes on a 64-bit system

with the use of a 32bit chroot and 32-bit libs you can run ZSNES on a 64-bit OS

I'm sure there's another method to do it, but I've forgotten it.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

If you wish, you can run it without the chroot, just install the 32-bit libs somewhere the system can find them (/usr/lib32) and it will run just fine.

OP: Run ldd on the binary you have downloaded, and if it uses libao create symbolic links from the shared objects in /usr/lib32/ao/plugins-2/* to /usr/lib/ao/plugins-2/, renaming as needed.
Shurien

Post by Shurien »

I have the exact same problem.
I've used Zsnes for like 8 years but always on windows and i've recently installed Linux OpenSuse 11 (32bit).
I'm new to linux (that means that I don't have any idea of anything :oops: )....and when I try to compile zsnes I get the following after the configurations, when I type "make" :

g++  -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DNO_PNG -DNCURSES -D__OPENGL__ -march=native -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -fno-rtti -o tools/strutil.o -c tools/strutil.cpp
In file included from tools/strutil.cpp:22:
tools/strutil.h: In static member function ‘static int ci_char_traits::compare(const char*, const char*, size_t)’:
tools/strutil.h:34: error: ‘strncasecmp’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [tools/strutil.o] Error 1
Can someone help me??
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Try grabbing the 1.51b source.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I'm using the same OS as the OP, and when I try make from either the official or SVN source, I get the following error:
make
g++ -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__ -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -D__OPENGL__ -DNO_DEBUGGER -DNDEBUG -march=i386 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -fno-rtti -o tools/fileutil.o -c tools/fileutil.cpp
tools/fileutil.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
tools/fileutil.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
make: *** [tools/fileutil.o] Error 1
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Nach wrote:In case it wasn't obvious:

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=183222
Thanks for putting up with my obtuseness--I've finally got that binary working. I'm still curious as to why I couldn't build it.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Because you can't build a 64-bit binary of ZSNES, it uses 32-bit assembly code.