What sound interpolation method is better?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

KaOSoFt
Rookie

What sound interpolation method is better?

Post by KaOSoFt »

Hello.

I read a topic in which the definition of each method is given but, the thing is, 8-point interpolation is the only one missing a non-technical description.

Well, it says Cubic is better than Gaussian, so, is 8-point better than Cubic (if you read the options top-down)? I tried looking around, but didn't find any clear explanation.

Thanks in advance for your support.
To be human is to know the fear of death, yet keep on fighting.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If you want something that is closest to the real thing, use Gaussian.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

so, is 8-point better than Cubic
Basically, sinc ("8 point") interpolation is better.

Here's a explanation on linear and sinc interpolation.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Interpolation methods use math formulas that "fill in the missing parts" between each value. The best result is obtained when the formula fits the actual sound variations perfectly.

Cubic and gaussian are both 4-points, but they use different formulas. Gaussian uses a formula that yields less errors on edges.
I haven't looked at the code to know which sort of 8-point interpolation ZSNES uses.

Note that SNES hardware uses a gaussian interpolation on its samples after they go through pitch adjustment.
There's a second point where interpolation may occur, and that's between the emulator and your sound card (resampling to fit your card's native rate, for example).
I don't exactly remember if the option in ZSNES applies to the former, the latter, or both (in the current releases, at least).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54