Problem with ups auto-patching

Anything else related to bsnes goes there.
nachch
Rookie

Problem with ups auto-patching

Post by nachch »

Hi,

Having a problem with ups auto-patching in bsnes (0.042, but same with earlier versions).

I'm trying to use AGTP's "Assault Suits Valken" translation patch. Took the following steps:
1. Applied the ips patch to the rom (hard patch).
2. Checked that the translated rom is working (and translated).
3. Created ups patch from original rom and translated rom.
4. Loaded up the rom in bsnes -- the status bar says "ups applied", but the game is not translated.
5. As a sanity check, hard-patching the original rom with the ups patch works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

Isn't UPS a bi-directional patch?
Could it be applying the patch to de-translate the translated ROM?
byuu

Post by byuu »

It is bi-directional.

Hmm. I don't see any problems with the patching code on my side. Pretty sure I tested recently with Der Langrisser. But I was way wrong with BS-X loading, so let me test it again and get back to you.

Thank you for the report, as well as for trying UPS :D
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's working, but it seems there's a slight issue with the v040+ path system that nobody noticed -> reported to me.

I keep my own "working directory" thing due to changes with Win 7, and bugs in Qt 4.4's QGtkStyle (subsequently fixed in 4.5.) I only update that path after successful game load, which is after the patching portion of code.

The net effect is if you don't select paths for UPS files, the first game load will look in the startup folder instead of the game folder for loading of UPS patches. I didn't notice as I use paths for everything.

SRM+CHT works correctly as the path is set before this point.
nachch
Rookie

Post by nachch »

I'm trying UPS since I hate hard-patching and I love bsnes... :)

Hmm, this is confounding --- I tried it with the Der Langrisser translation, and sure enough it works just fine with that patch...

However, I'm still seeing the same issue with the other patches I try to make myself.
Tried it with a couple of different games and ips translation patches --
I create a ups patch (as described in my original post), and I see the "...and applied UPS patch" message on the status bar, but the games continue to load and play as if unpatched.

I've tried it with three games, all showing the same issue:
* Assault Suits Valken
* Final Fantasy IV
* Cu-On-Pa

Anything I can use for better troubleshooting?

Many thanks!

(Oh, and the path issue is probably unrelated -- I also have all of my paths explicitly defined).
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

What tool did you use to make the patch? I'm pretty sure at least one of them is broken, though I can't remember in what way <.<
nachch
Rookie

Post by nachch »

How I apply the original IPS patch is irrelevant -- since the resulting rom is working fine when loaded directly.

The only other tool involved is byuu's tsukuyomi UPS patcher which I use to create the UPS file.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm trying UPS since I hate hard-patching and I love bsnes...
:D
Anything I can use for better troubleshooting?
Yeah, we'll definitely figure it out.

What's the size of your patch? If it's < 30 bytes, it may be making a patch against itself which would obviously do nothing.

Can you upload the patch to megaupload.com or rapidshare.de?

I can try making one off these games if you have no luck here. Too bad I can't talk any translator peoples into distributing with UPS :(
nachch
Rookie

Post by nachch »

Well, the size of the patch file seems reasonable (more-or-less like the ips patch).
Let me just say again -- the patch file is usable by tsukuyomi, and functions correctly...

One thing I noticed while playing around with it, is that even if the ups file matched by bsnes is complete garbage (i.e. random bytes, text, whatever) bsnes will not complain in any way, and it will still write the "and applied UPS patch" message.

This makes me guess that the patches I created may be somehow damaged.

Anyway, here is the patch I tried making for Final Fantasy IV: http://rapidshare.com/files/215949826/F ... _.ups.html

Thanks for your help!
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

nachch wrote:How I apply the original IPS patch is irrelevant -- since the resulting rom is working fine when loaded directly.

The only other tool involved is byuu's tsukuyomi UPS patcher which I use to create the UPS file.
Yeah, I was talking about the UPS patcher. I think the one originally distributed with Der Langrisser was broken? Anyway, I'll leave you guys to it :)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Thanks, I see what's happening now. This is my fault, so I apologize for any wasted time or frustration caused.

You created the patch off of two ROMs that both had copier headers, but bsnes strips the headers before applying a UPS patch. Essentially, it's the emulator that enforces the no-header rule to get around the IPS "header vs no header" problem. The reason tsukuyomi doesn't, is because it's a generic patcher for all systems; and I've been too busy / lazy to update it to specifically detect SNES games and remove headers first. To be honest, I've been hoping someone else would make a really nice patcher, but so far no luck.

It should not be stating that the patch applied okay, unless the UPS CRC32 bypass option is enabled. I'll have to look into why it's accepting invalid patches.

Here's a working patch:
http://rapidshare.com/files/215980873/ff4.ups.html
nachch
Rookie

Post by nachch »

OK, so the general rule is simply to make sure the roms I use as input to tsukuyomi have no header.
Great, thanks!
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yes, and I'll do my best to make sure the next version of tsukuyomi does this transparently :D
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Working on Final Fantasy IV (Japan) (Rev A). Just letting you know if you using No-Intro cm. Won't work on Final Fantasy IV (Japan).

I don't know why they didn't use this part of the title.

Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT