Controller and SMW2: Yoshi's Island [SOLVED]

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dark Rubes

Controller and SMW2: Yoshi's Island [SOLVED]

Post by Dark Rubes »

EDIT: I put this thread here because I figured it's more of a controller issue than a bug issue. If it's not in the right spot, please move it. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong.

I am using v 1.51 and did not have a problem with the game beforehand. Last month, I switched over to a Logitech Dual Action controller. I get the following error message with Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island:

This is what happens when I attempt to start up the game. I have no problems with any other games, just this one. At first I thought it was the deinterleaving problem so I ran it through NSRT. No fix other than it changed the header part.

Other than the Logitech (it works in its app settings and in the GUI itself), I have a Microsoft mouse plugged in a USB hub. That is normal in that I always have it plugged in.

My rom information obtained from NSRT:

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (U) (M3) (V1.0) [!].smc
Name: YOSHI'S ISLAND Company: Nintendo
Header: Exists (type?) Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: None SRAM: 256 Kb
Type: Super FX2 + Batt ROM: 16 Mb
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x132C Game Code: YI
---------------------------Hashes---------------------------
CRC32: D138F224
MD5: CB472164C5A71CCD3739963390EC6A50
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: Platform Genre 2: Side Scrolling

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Shoot, even Mario Paint with the mouse-as-a-mouse option works with no problem. It's just Yoshi's Island.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Rubes
Last edited by Dark Rubes on Fri May 01, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Gaming Insurrection for retro musings!
www.gaminginsurrection.com
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

in the zsnes controller dialogs, set all other controllers (save 1p) to "none."
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Dark Rubes

Post by Dark Rubes »

Dang ... I feel stupid.

I didn't think about that possible solution seeing as though about 2 or 3 months ago, I remember fooling around with the 2P side to test a game. I never thought about switching those off again.

It fixed the problem. Thank you so much!

Rubes
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

3-5 are the problem controllers. If any controllers above 2 are enabled, it emulates a multitap.
And SuperFX games refuse to boot if there's a multitap connected, because it brings the power draw over the SNES power supply's rated max.
Dark Rubes

Post by Dark Rubes »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:3-5 are the problem controllers. If any controllers above 2 are enabled, it emulates a multitap.
And SuperFX games refuse to boot if there's a multitap connected, because it brings the power draw over the SNES power supply's rated max.
Ah, that is interesting. I did not know that. On my real SNES I never had use for a multitap so I have never seen that come up. Interesting, indeed.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Dark Rubes wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:3-5 are the problem controllers. If any controllers above 2 are enabled, it emulates a multitap.
Ah, that is interesting. I did not know that. On my real SNES I never had use for a multitap so I have never seen that come up. Interesting, indeed.
I never did either.

I'm like a sponge. I absorb data lotering in the forums.
Then stuff grows in it and makes it all icky and messed-up.

But that's one of the odder quirks, since there's nowhere in ZSNES that tells you you're enabling/disabling the multitap, nor any options pertaining to it at all.

It's like the KEYB/JOYSTICK and NONE options. Confusing as hell.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It should be covered well enough I guess in the FAQ... but I think "in terms of intuitability" that multitap would automatically be enabled when controllers #3-5 are in use. That should be intuitive enough (although, if someone eventually releases their multi-controller, dual multitap game, then we'll see).

The menu options however are not very reflective in non-DOS ports... there were multiple controller options under the DOS ports, which looks relatively unintuitive elsewhere. Would you have preferred "Enabled/Disabled" instead?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:It should be covered well enough I guess in the FAQ... but I think "in terms of intuitability" that multitap would automatically be enabled when controllers #3-5 are in use. That should be intuitive enough (although, if someone eventually releases their multi-controller, dual multitap game, then we'll see).

The menu options however are not very reflective in non-DOS ports... there were multiple controller options under the DOS ports, which looks relatively unintuitive elsewhere. Would you have preferred "Enabled/Disabled" instead?
I dunno. Just some indication somewhere that the multitap was active would probably help kill a lot of these threads, though certainly not all(missing file dinput7.dll! or whatever the hell it was...).

As far as the NONE|KEYBOARD/GAMEPAD option... I think not allowing controls to be mapped until after the controller was activated would help.
Or having it change the controller setting when you selected Keyboard/gamepad instead of when you pressed the set button.

Just my two cents.