dragon quest 5 translation

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

zengtao

dragon quest 5 translation

Post by zengtao »

1.Are there still any bugs in the dejaps' translation patch?
2. Will another patch be released? or this patch is the final one?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

dejap is dead. :(
zengtao

Post by zengtao »

what? really?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You're not imagining things, so yes.

If you expected translation patches w/o bugs, then you're wishing too hard. Usually it's minor spelling or graphical issues for most translations...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

http://www.romhacking.net/ has all the info if you want to track down & fix bugs yourself. ;)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yeah, it sucks that DeJap went under; thank goodness for romhacking.net!
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

There is nothing wrong with Dejap's patch. Just a few minor spelling and grammar mistakes.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
byuu

Post by byuu »

Why would anyone want to play an unofficial fan translation of the 18-year-old SNES version, when there's an official translation of the new Nintendo DS version? The latter has vastly improved graphics and audio, and a lot of nice story extras (third bride, bonus dungeon, etc.)

The NDS version is tiny and emulated, too. It's not like Tactics Ogre SNES vs PSX.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

byuu wrote:Why would anyone want to play an unofficial fan translation of the 18-year-old SNES version, when there's an official translation of the new Nintendo DS version? The latter has vastly improved graphics and audio, and a lot of nice story extras (third bride, bonus dungeon, etc.)

The NDS version is tiny and emulated, too. It's not like Tactics Ogre SNES vs PSX.
You can't argue with that.
SecretChao428

Post by SecretChao428 »

Well on the ends of the NDS version, lets say that there have been a trail of complaints on some sites about the "Corny" Script and not to mention the character names, spell names, and monster names seem to be upsetting the old school crowed, but also be expected to have a 2.0 GHz CPU and a video card of 36 Megapixels a second in order to play it on a computer via an emulator, and not many have jobs or in this economy to upgrade their computers for it, no offense, just adding a few facts to the reality of this,

Oh and one more thing, the fans of Dragon Quest called Dragon's Den is the place where some of the complaints are comming from, and on that note, we do need some help about a retranslation of the NoProgress version of DQ6, and lets say we need supporters of this, I'm sure if this maybe not be legal and all but if it is not allowed to post stuff like this, Please feel free to PM me about it.

And I did forget to post a site that talks about retranslations of the Dragon Quest series in case anyone may want to join in of course,

http://ww2.0wnag3.biz:82/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

2 ghz CPUs have been around for seven years, FYI...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Not to mention DS emulators don't put any load on the video card.

Not to mention BUY A FUCKING DS AND A FUCKING COPY OF THE GAME.
Oh, never mind, that would actually SUPPORT THE CREATORS and ENCOURAGE FUTURE RELEASES. God knows we can't have Dragon Quest being AVAILABLE in the US.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Not to mention DS emulators don't put any load on the video card.

Not to mention BUY A FUCKING DS AND A FUCKING COPY OF THE GAME.
Oh, never mind, that would actually SUPPORT THE CREATORS and ENCOURAGE FUTURE RELEASES. God knows we can't have Dragon Quest being AVAILABLE in the US.
Some do, depending on what API you decide to use.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

SecretChao428 wrote:Well on the ends of the NDS version, lets say that there have been a trail of complaints on some sites about the "Corny" Script and not to mention the character names, spell names, and monster names seem to be upsetting the old school crowed, but also be expected to have a 2.0 GHz CPU and a video card of 36 Megapixels a second in order to play it on a computer via an emulator, and not many have jobs or in this economy to upgrade their computers for it, no offense, just adding a few facts to the reality of this,

Oh and one more thing, the fans of Dragon Quest called Dragon's Den is the place where some of the complaints are comming from, and on that note, we do need some help about a retranslation of the NoProgress version of DQ6, and lets say we need supporters of this, I'm sure if this maybe not be legal and all but if it is not allowed to post stuff like this, Please feel free to PM me about it.

And I did forget to post a site that talks about retranslations of the Dragon Quest series in case anyone may want to join in of course,

that is terribly worded post. i'm surprised you can even read
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
byuu

Post by byuu »

I wasn't meaning to imply there was absolutely no reason for the old version to ever be played, of course. More curious why anyone would want to.

Lunar, I can easily understand. They not only completely changed the second half of the storyline (for the worse), they also changed the gameplay significantly: visible enemies, no enemies on (now super-deformed) worldmap, completely different (not enhanced) music and videos. They're almost two separate games.

DQ5 seemed a lot more mellow, and more of just a standard audio-visual upgrade rather than re-imagining, at least from what I've played.

You may think the NDS script is corny (I didn't notice much, sans the NPC shopkeeper accents), but the SNES script unfortunately wasn't well translated in either fan translation. Both were over-literal in the first place, one was edited way too much to fill in missing context, and the other wasn't edited nearly enough to be human readable.

Spell and enemy names have always been a huge problem. You either have transliterated gibberish or you make up generic sounding names. It's a minor thing to really care about, honestly.
2 ghz CPUs have been around for seven years, FYI...
That's a losing battle :P
The only way we're going to get people off P4s is for them to succumb to Electromagnetic Migration :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hey, my p4 is still rocking ass. Your ass.
SecretChao428 wrote:"Corny" (...) spell names
Sorry, but the US dragon warrior spell names are so horribly horrible it's a criminal offense for an english speaker to write 'corny' and 'spell names' in the same paragraph when talking about DQ.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:Sorry, but the US dragon warrior spell names are so horribly horrible it's a criminal offense for an english speaker to write 'corny' and 'spell names' in the same paragraph when talking about DQ.
How dare you...
* byuu casts hurtmore on grinvader.
* The grinvader taketh 37 points of damage.
* Thou hast defeateth the grinvader.
* Fortune smiles upon thee for thou hast found a half-eaten kitten.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

SecretChao428 wrote:Well on the ends of the NDS version, lets say that there have been a trail of complaints on some sites about the "Corny" Script and not to mention the character names, spell names, and monster names seem to be upsetting the old school crowed, but also be expected to have a 2.0 GHz CPU and a video card of 36 Megapixels a second in order to play it on a computer via an emulator, and not many have jobs or in this economy to upgrade their computers for it, no offense, just adding a few facts to the reality of this,

Seriously, the guy who made one of the completed snes DQ5 translations is telling you to play the DS version. What else can we do to convince you?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

badinsults wrote:Seriously, the guy who made one of the completed snes DQ5 translations is telling you to play the DS version. What else can we do to convince you?
PayPal/write a check/etc this idiot the money needed to buy a DS Lite* and/or a legit copy of DQ5. :roll:

Barring that, tell him to get a damn job.

*: I personally like Lite over the I. Personal prefrence, but whatever.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
byuu

Post by byuu »

badinsults wrote:Seriously, the guy who made one of the completed snes DQ5 translations is telling you to play the DS version. What else can we do to convince you?
I don't really care which version he plays, I was just curious. Having played both, I personally don't see what's to like more about the SNES version. Seems to boil down to lack of money and a distaste for the translators' humor*. I'm also shilling to get more NDS sales so we can get DQ6 next :D
* Though really, you haven't felt pain until you've dealt with Wheaties, M&Ms, Bill Clinton and irritable bowel syndrome jokes in a fantasy RPG.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SecretChao428 wrote:Well on the ends of the NDS version, lets say that there have been a trail of complaints on some sites about the "Corny" Script and not to mention the character names, spell names, and monster names seem to be upsetting the old school crowed, but also be expected to have a 2.0 GHz CPU
Ok? And 2GHz is somehow new?
and a video card of 36 Megapixels a second in order to play it on a computer via an emulator,
When did video cards become digital cameras?
and not many have jobs or in this economy to upgrade their computers for it, no offense, just adding a few facts to the reality of this,
It's called making excuses. You know, you could have bought parts before the market taking a shit too and frankly noone cares. You could just buy a shitty $500 comp that is more than enough for what you'd need. If you're still running Win9x, then you should have comemorated Win98SE's decade run of happiness or crappiness.... or stop whining. When the more graphically intensive games have 2GHz as a minimum, it's time to stop whining.

Smells more like spam and propaganda of whining to me. If anything, pathetic use of the English language is at fault.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote: * Though really, you haven't felt pain until you've dealt with Wheaties, M&Ms, Bill Clinton and irritable bowel syndrome jokes in a fantasy RPG.
So... what IS atomic diarrhea like in a dragon?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

It isn't rocket science guys...

1. Some don't like low resolution PSX era wannabe 3D and would prefer the original 2D.
2. DS has a resolution lower than the SNES, unless you count both screens, in which you have a stupid huge missing gap in the screen.
3. 3 inch screens and cramped controls are unappealing and uncomfortable.

Why would you expect someone to buy a new, poor (if the items above are important) system when the original 18 year old format is still superior and more desirable?

If we're talking sheer emulation on both, well that eliminates most of the problems, but it still comes down to styling and gap.

Nonetheless, I personally don't see how it's so out of this world, blow my mind, to want to play the original... :P

P.S. DQ6 on the DS would definitely be getting a graphical downgrade if it receives the same treatment...
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Because this PM was so awesome, I might as well post it:
A Private Message wrote: From: SecretChao428
To: Deathlike2
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 pm
Subject: Are you a supporter of...
Encyclopeda Dramatica? I swear that you like that site if you and Gil want flame soo badily, also may have hate to autism and it's related disorders that people like me have, are you a hater of those kind of people?
A broken link and poor usage of the English language hurts your cause. Regardless of whether or not you even have autism (if you do, I'm sorry to hear that), you can't use that as an excuse for everything in life. If I decide to claim I have turrets "just because", it would be as honest as a used car salesman (which is not honest at all). Obviously the "requirements for emulation" (not the autism) matters to you, but try not to use weak or poor examples of extremes to make your case.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

some also never want to buy anything, period

whatever the motivation is, hiding behind the script doesn't quite fit
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]