Rock N' Roll Racing texture corruption

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Hohlraum

Rock N' Roll Racing texture corruption

Post by Hohlraum »

I've tried (U) [!] and (U) [f1] and there seems to be some texture corruption of the racetrack. Everything looks fine in the menu's etc. Can anyone else give this game a try and see if the first race shows the same results? Rom is from goodsnes 2.04 verified set.

I looked around for some basic troubleshooting for these kinds of issues, sorry if I missed something obvious.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Get a ROM from a NSRT verified set ._.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Verifying ROMs with NSRT is more appropriate.
Hohlraum

Post by Hohlraum »

Will do. So neither of you are seeing this issue with your Rock N' Roll Racing?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It helps to take a picture of what you're seeing.

You haven't provided enough info so that someone could help you properly.

1) Need OS Info

2) Need ZSNES Port Info (Misc->About)

There are no such things as "texture issues" since the SNES is in 2D.

There are a few possible issues..

1) You didn't turn on the New Gfx Engine. The '8' key turns it on/off while in game.

2) You are using the DOS port and assume everything looks out of whack. It's technically "normal" since you only have 8 bits to work with and the SNES renders in 15-bit color, so it's obviously not going work and look correct.

I've recently redumped a movie for this game just to see if the size of the movie changed (it did for xvid fortunately), but I see no problems with the game itself.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Hohlraum

Post by Hohlraum »

Deathlike2 wrote:It helps to take a picture of what you're seeing.

You haven't provided enough info so that someone could help you properly.

1) Need OS Info

2) Need ZSNES Port Info (Misc->About)

There are no such things as "texture issues" since the SNES is in 2D.

There are a few possible issues..

1) You didn't turn on the New Gfx Engine. The '8' key turns it on/off while in game.

2) You are using the DOS port and assume everything looks out of whack. It's technically "normal" since you only have 8 bits to work with and the SNES renders in 15-bit color, so it's obviously not going work and look correct.

I've recently redumped a movie for this game just to see if the size of the movie changed (it did for xvid fortunately), but I see no problems with the game itself.
I'm guessing its probably #1. I'll look more closely tonight. I didn't post lots of details initially because I figured someone would give me a quick yes or no to seeing the same issues. I never doubted that it was just something I was doing incorrectly :wink:
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

the DOS port allows 16bit rendering ...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

That's true, but by default, it does not. Only the VESA modes are allowed to render in 16-bit.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Hohlraum

Post by Hohlraum »

It was the gfx engine. Works fine now. Thanks.