Game suggestions?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Man_Over_Game

Game suggestions?

Post by Man_Over_Game »

I play roms. Lots of them. So now, I am running out of good games to play? I'm not asking anyone to provide them, but could you perhaps give me a couple titles to try? I've played alotta RPGs, and am trying out pretty much anything. DS and pretty much any disk format games are a bit too graphic intensive for my machine, so pretty much that leaves GBA, Playstation, and good ol' Supah Nintendo. Of course, if you guys suggest something within those lines, but on a different console, I will definitely look them up.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Um, some snes rpgs that you might not know are;

brainlord
live a live
illusion of gaia
soulblazer
terranigma
treasure hunter g
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cigar_Face is on the right track.
Live A Live, Illusion of Gaia I can personally vouch for. And I've long meant to sit down with Soulblazer and Terranigma. Which makes me think I should add Brainlord to the list(Treasure Hunter G was already on it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add my own to the list, and keeping it close to the genre preference indicated...

Lunar: Eternal Blue, SegaCD.
This is the definitive game of the franchise, and one of the best console RPGs ever made. Period. End of story.
If you like classic console RPGs and haven't played this yet... why are you still reading? Go play it!

The PS1 version is a blasphemy before Althena. But not as much of a blasphemy as Silver Star Story, which is the work of Zophar himself.

The original Lunar: The Silver Star isn't near as polished as Eternal Blue. I'd recommend it as well, but I'm worried about scaring you away from EB.

LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*
Now that that's out of the way and my fanboy is satisfied....

Crystalis, NES.
What Zelda would be if Zelda was an RPG(and wasn't Zelda 2).
And if Zelda were far awesomer than it is. No slur on Zelda, but Crystalis is WAY better.

Alundra, Playstation.
An action-adventure title in the same vein as Zelda and Illusion of Gaia.

Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny, Playstation.
PS1 ToP uses an upgrade of the ToD engine, which is the best Tales engine IMO(enough TLAs yet? LOL!)
So if you've played the SNES version already, go ahead and play the remake. If you haven't... go straight to the PS1 version.

Valkyrie Profile, Playstation.
One of the best RPGs ever made, right behind Eternal Blue.
And proof that Enix America WAS capable of making a coherent translation on occasion. Still not sure how it happened, but...

Robotrek, SNES.
Speaking of Enix America... the translation is awful. Worse than Illusion of Gaia's. The game is sweet in spite of it, even if you may have no earthly idea what you were just told on occasion.

Parasite Eve, Playstation.
Hey, Square CAN make games that aren't Final Fantasy! Occasionally they even do it well. PE2 is more action, less RPG. It's been called a survival-horror game, but it's not horror and survival only factors in on the unlockable difficulty modes.
Both games have been called total Resident Evil ripoffs. By idiots.

Brandish, SNES.
What? I like it. DON'T JUDGE ME!

Septerra Core, PC.
A PC RPG in console RPG flavor.
Not a requested platform, but if you can emulate a PS1 you can run Septerra Core. Unless you're on a Mac. Then I point and laugh.

If you're running Windows XP, you'll probably need patches to make it work right.
http://valkyriestudios.com/Septerra/ has that, and the manual too.
You'll also need to run it in Win95 compatibility mode.

And on and on and on.
You're never running out of good games to play. You just have to look harder.

Give us some idea what you've played and what you like. We can make better recommendations.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Alundra, Playstation.
An action-adventure title in the same vein as LANDSTALKER.
Fixed.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure they either asked the same people to do it, or just recycled 70% of their ideas.

Anyway... For genesis you want to play Soleil, Beyond Oasis and Landstalker at the very least.
For snes add Gun Hazard to their list. Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudra, Shiren the Wanderer, plus some J only stuff, Chaos Seed, Energy Breaker and Arabian Nights.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Also, PE2 sure as hell is an RE clone. the controls are way the fuck too similar, the gameplay is too similar... it's RE but with magic spells.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:Also, PE2 sure as hell is an RE clone. the controls are way the fuck too similar, the gameplay is too similar... it's RE but with magic spells.
And no survival and no horror?

RE4 is a PE2 clone. :P

Seriously, I do acknowledge PE2 is RE-influenced. Square probably looked at feedback from PE1 and went "Dammit, everyone accused us of doing a RE clone and doing a bad job of it. Let's show them what a bad RE clone REALLY is!"
Not that I think PE2 is a bad game. But it's a bad RE.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Yoshi's Safari is a good game. It won't last long, but it will be fun while it lasts.
If you want a freeware game, try the old dos game "God of thunder", it's pretty neat.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Try "Castle of the Winds". A great freeware Windows 3 game that should work on even Windows 7.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Septerra Core, PC.
A PC RPG in console RPG flavor.
I'm sorry I had to laugh at this one. I bought it because the box claimed if one liked FF7 they'd like this. Heh. I gave it time though. Made it about halfway through. Just couldn't get into it. It felt like too much grinding.

EDIT: Bonus points for obscurity though. Never thought I would see its name pop up again.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Sudeki. Yes, the PC version is a buggy mess.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Had Sudeki for the XBOX back then. While it was a really nice game
(for the relatively short amount of time I managed to play it), I really
couldn't deal with the game due to the ghastly lack of actual voice
talent. It wouldn't had been a problem if one could disable the voices
and just go with text dialogues instead.

Bah! :(
Man_Over_Game

Post by Man_Over_Game »

wow, that's a lot to read...
I've played illusion of gaia, but I can't seem to remember what it's about...-_-
I'll try all of the others. I might have to try the playstation games another time. It took my computer 2-3 days to get Star Ocean 2 and Chrono Chross.
The rest of those games sound good, though. Soul Blazer was fun, but gameplay was pretty much the same throughout the whole game. Anyone have strategy game suggestions? I like those, they generally don't require a lot of time to become entertaining. RPGs are good and all, but they usually are boring or really easy come the first few hours.

Resident evil was a good game. Hated the controls though. It was too irritating to kill anything close to you. Same reason I didn't like the first Metal Gear Solid. If you get the chance, try the third one in the series. Good solid gameplay, easy controls. Boss battles were a little bogus, though. They were either WAY too hard, or so freaking easy that you took the boss out with a tranquilizer gun.

I didn't honestly feel that I was running out of games to find, I just kept on running into lame games that were considered "awesome". I tried ActRaiser (claimed to be one of the greatest SNES games), and was extremely disapointed. The action part was really irritating, and the world gameplay was boring and easy. Give it a try, it is a cross between Sim-City and a platform arcade slasher, binding the worst of one another together.

What is the title of that one SoulBlazer knock-off? I know you were a psychic with a staff, but I can't remember what it was called. I had it once, I'm gonna go look for it again.
Last edited by Man_Over_Game on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Man_Over_Game wrote:I've played illusion of gaia, but I can't seem to remember what it's about...-_-
You're this kid (Will) that can transform himself into a knight (Freedan) and some blue flame(?) guy (Shadow) and he has to save the world from a comet that is coming towards the Earth.

Ya know, you run around through the Incan Ruins, a Diamond Mine, the Sky Garden, the island of Mu, even through the Great Wall of China, a pyramid, and the Tower of Babel!

with that being said I need to pick that shit back up.. :D
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Man_Over_Game

Post by Man_Over_Game »

oh S!@#, that was that SoulBlazer knockoff. I knew I recognized it !!!
(that was smooth...)

I heard Shining Force was good, should I look that one up?

I loved Lucia. I thought it was funny that the girl in your team only had kitchenware as her equipment. Deadly frying pans that destroy everything in their path.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You probably mean Lufia.

Illusion of gaia isn't a soulblazer knockoff, it's its 'spiritual' sequel (i.e. not linked in place or events, but in the concept of world revival that soul blader / illusion of gaia / terranigma share). The three games were made by the same teams.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Grinvader, Illusion of Gaia also has a Soulblazer guy as a secret boss.

Man_Over_Game wrote: Resident evil was a good game. Hated the controls though. It was too irritating to kill anything close to you. Same reason I didn't like the first Metal Gear Solid.
RE and MGS share control issues?
That's a new one.
I didn't honestly feel that I was running out of games to find, I just kept on running into lame games that were considered "awesome". I tried ActRaiser (claimed to be one of the greatest SNES games), and was extremely disapointed. The action part was really irritating, and the world gameplay was boring and easy. Give it a try, it is a cross between Sim-City and a platform arcade slasher, binding the worst of one another together.
Actraiser has two things going for it.
1. The hybrid was, and still is, highly novel.
2. It was one of the very first SNES games, so there wasn't much to compare it to when it was new.

Actraiser 2 has much more refined platformer action, but they shed the sim interlude entirely, which disappointed a lot of people.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Grinvader, Illusion of Gaia also has a Soulblazer guy as a secret boss.
Wait, did you think I wouldn't know that or was it just rhetorical ?
Since there's absolutely zilch development on bosses in soul blader, that was probably just a cameo, not a proof both games happened in the same world.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Grinvader, Illusion of Gaia also has a Soulblazer guy as a secret boss.
Wait, did you think I wouldn't know that or was it just rhetorical ?
Since there's absolutely zilch development on bosses in soul blader, that was probably just a cameo, not a proof both games happened in the same world.
I knew you knew, it was just thrown in as another connection.

If I recall, Gaia cast the bonus dungeon as in an alternate dimension anyways.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Well, the boss does mention how he was defeated and his power (lawl, as if) spread over the land. And he got a name. I don't remember it anymore though.
Puny boss in SB, kinda tricky in IoG since Will can't SWIP SWIP SWIP as quickly as Lintar could.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

if you don't mind reading japanese text, you may also tried the some pc98 games on respective emulator.

i just love its OPL3-like kin of music.