Getting Clock Tower to work

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: Getting Clock Tower to work

Post by creaothceann »

Cigar Face wrote:
badinsults wrote:Hardpatching the rom works. Not really an ideal way of doing things, though.
How come it's not ideal? Is there a reason why soft patching is better, or do you just prefer to have rom images unpatched?
Getting the exact ROM the patch expects (game revision, interleaving, header) could be difficult, though newer hacks should target clean ROMs now. So patching can easily go wrong, and it that case softpatching requires less work with files.

Hard patching also wastes a bit of space, which was more relevant with HDDs < 1 GB.

And using another program instead of the emulator might be a source of error.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Most in the ROM hacking community also favor not using pre-patched ROMs because most don't want their work being distributed with the ROM for obvious reasons. Requests from the community to remove said items from lists such as GoodSNES, specifically to Cowering for example, go ignored. It may technically be more convenient, but if you support the author or any ROM hackers, say no to pre-patched ROMs. ;)
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

creaothceann wrote:And using another program instead of the emulator might be a source of error.
How often does Lunar IPS fuck up a ROM? I have never heard of such a thing happening.

To NC: What about those of us who do not distribute the ROMs, or use emulators that don't support IPS softpatching(Bsnes)?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I.S.T. wrote:use emulators that don't support IPS softpatching(Bsnes)?
Convert the patch to UPS for bsnes?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:How often does Lunar IPS fuck up a ROM?
If it has good mirroring, it should be fine.
But what says it has ?

The good old issue. Some old patches only work with broken mirroring algos, at that.

And some apps sucked enough to fuck up roms that didn't even need mirroring, iirc.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
creaothceann wrote:And using another program instead of the emulator might be a source of error.
How often does Lunar IPS fuck up a ROM? I have never heard of such a thing happening.
I think it was WinIPS that people kept using that kept being crap.