Zsnes crashes on start

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Taikun
Rookie

Zsnes crashes on start

Post by Taikun »

Hi! I'm having a problem with zsnes. I used to open the program normally until a few days ago... now it won't open, it just crashes when I try it. There's just a black box where the window is supposed to be, and the program doesn't respond. I downloaded it again, but nothing happened... Anyone knows why this happens?

I'm using an intel dg33bu with core 2 duo e6750 2.66 ghz, 2 gb of ram, incorporated video.
Direct X 9.0c
Windows XP Service Pack 3
ZSnes 1.51

edit: I'm having this message when I open dxdiag: 'DxDiag has detected there may have been a problem accessing DirectInput the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass DirectInput this time? [YES] [NO] ' and the Games devices in Control Panel doesn't open.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Taikun on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Delete the configuration and try again?
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

kode54 wrote:Delete the configuration and try again?
Nope... I deleted zsnesw.cfg and nothing. I even erased the program and downloaded it again, but nothing happened.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

What are your computer specs?
Which version of Windows and DirectX are you using (if you're using Windows) ?
Are you using the latest (v 1.51) ZSnes?
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

Francis64 wrote:What are your computer specs?
Which version of Windows and DirectX are you using (if you're using Windows) ?
Are you using the latest (v 1.51) ZSnes?
I'm using an intel dg33bu with core 2 duo e6750 2.66 ghz, 2 gb of ram, incorporated video.
Direct X 9.0c
Windows XP Service Pack 3
ZSnes 1.51

I used to play fine with this until some time ago... I'm not sure when this happened, I didn't use the emulator for some time, I updated windows and video codecs, and installed and uninstalled some programs during that time. Even if I download the emulator again, the problem occurs.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

probably newer video drivers are at fault, intels integrated video cards are full of fail.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

Start menu >> Run >> Open: dxdiag
click OK

Does DirectX diagnostics say anything?

What about other graphical applications that require DirectX? Do they work?
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

Francis64 wrote:Start menu >> Run >> Open: dxdiag
click OK

Does DirectX diagnostics say anything?

What about other graphical applications that require DirectX? Do they work?
uh oh... dx diag sent me the next message: 'DxDiag has detected there may have been a problem accessing DirectInput the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass DirectInput this time? [YES] [NO] '

I haven't found any way to solve this. I think I'll need to backup and reinstall windows... but if anyone knows other solution please let me know.

Thanks a lot
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

franpa wrote:probably newer video drivers are at fault, intels integrated video cards are full of fail.
Well, I've never updated the video drivers... I think it must be that dxdiag problem I mentioned in the last post.

Thanks =)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Reinstall directx before your whole OS... -_-
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

grinvader wrote:Reinstall directx before your whole OS... -_-
Yes, I have already tried it. Went here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en and reinstalled direct x (twice). but the problem is still there for some reason...

I can't open game devices in control panel too... Besides from this, everything else seems fine in dxdiag.

edit: I also tried restoring system a few times to different dates up to the oldest date... but it didn't solve the dx or the emulator problem.

I'll try downloading it again but from here (just in case xP) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

edit. didn't fix thew problems =/
Last edited by Taikun on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Disable and then reenable DDraw acceleration via dxdiag.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

Deathlike2 wrote:Disable and then reenable DDraw acceleration via dxdiag.
Thanks... I tried it just now, but the emulator still has that same rare problem. All the other games using ddraw work fine...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Have you rebooted your comp recently? If you haven't, try rebooting.

Have you loaded some apps in the background recently? Close all unnecessary apps that are not in use. You haven't mentioned what OS you used anyways.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

Deathlike2 wrote:Have you rebooted your comp recently? If you haven't, try rebooting.

Have you loaded some apps in the background recently? Close all unnecessary apps that are not in use. You haven't mentioned what OS you used anyways.
Oh, sorry.. I mentioned it but not in the first post. I put it there right now just in case. I'm using windows xp service pack 3

I've rebooted it a few times this week, and today too. I also closed everything I could except the windows xp things, but it still doesn't open...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It needs directinput and won't open if you don't have it working correctly.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Are you using a gamepad? If so, disconnect it and/or disable the software that is used for mapping...
Taikun
Rookie

Post by Taikun »

Hey guys, I couldn't find the way to repair direct x, but I reinstalled windows and zsnes is working fine. I have the windows updates up to service pack 3 and the last directx 9 and there's no problem at all. Thank you all for your help =)
noodles

Post by noodles »

I've just encountered this problem as well, but I don't want to reinstall my OS at this time. I don't have the disc anyway.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

If it is the same problem, it obviously is problem with a controller. You will probably have to experiment with removing your controller/drivers/disabling the gameport in device manager, reinstalling them. Also googling for a solution with the dxdiag message might help. Seems like a general issue, not specific to ZSNES.
noodles

Post by noodles »

No, I mean
Taikun wrote:Hi! I'm having a problem with zsnes. I used to open the program normally until a few days ago... now it won't open, it just crashes when I try it. There's just a black box where the window is supposed to be, and the program doesn't respond. I downloaded it again, but nothing happened... Anyone knows why this happens?
this problem. I don't have a controller installed, at least I don't think so.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

noodles wrote:No, I mean
Taikun wrote:Hi! I'm having a problem with zsnes. I used to open the program normally until a few days ago... now it won't open, it just crashes when I try it. There's just a black box where the window is supposed to be, and the program doesn't respond. I downloaded it again, but nothing happened... Anyone knows why this happens?
this problem. I don't have a controller installed, at least I don't think so.
well, something (outside of zsnes) changed. unfortunately, you need to figure out what that might have been - were any new programs/updates/drivers installed, etc.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
noodles

Post by noodles »

I found the problem. It was my pen tablet! I remembered it keeping one of my games from working.

I uninstalled the driver, and now ZSNES works. Might want to make a note of ZSNES not working with Vistablet drivers.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

noodles wrote:Might want to make a note of screwy Vistablet drivers not working with ZSNES.
皆黙って俺について来い!!