Problem with video

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

asboxxx
Rookie

Problem with video

Post by asboxxx »

Every "windowed" video mode isn't 100% fluid and "smooth", but the interpolation filter works perfectly and the image quality is perfect.

Every "Full Screen" Mode is perfectly fluid and smooth but the image quality somehow suck-ass, and the interpolation doesn't work properly (is very bad-looking)

How to solve the problem?
Clements
Randomness

Re: Problem with video

Post by Clements »

Well, if you mean what I think you mean, this is due to the low resolution of the original image, so when it is stretched, it will appear to be more blocky (or if you use standard interpolation, more blurry) than the original. Kind like when you increase the size of a small bitmap in Paint or MS Word.

You could try using a filter to soften up the image somewhat, such as 2xSAI or HQ2X, or for a more authentic look, use TV-out and play on a standard CRT TV.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Clements wrote:Well, if you mean what I think you mean, this is due to the low resolution of the original image, so when it is stretched, it will appear to be more blocky (or if you use standard interpolation, more blurry) than the original. Kind like when you increase the size of a small bitmap in Paint or MS Word.

You could try using a filter to soften up the image somewhat, such as 2xSAI or HQ2X, or for a more authentic look, use TV-out and play on a standard CRT TV.
On the older PC (same monitor) i didn't have any slowdown (windowed mode) or any bad quality of the image (in "full screen")
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Oh, that's a different kind of problem then. It might be to do with how your new computer's graphics drivers auto-interpolate the screen compared to your old computer, producing a subjectively worse image. If that is the case, then you might want to make sure that you are using a D video mode, if I remember right.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

what's your desktop refresh rate? if it's not 60Hz, you'll have stuttering.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

it's 60 Hz :(

My own idea is that somehow ver. 1.51 isn't totally compatible with windows 7; In 5 minutes someone will rush here to say "1.51 is fully compatible with 7", but i'm not 100% sure.
I mean, on this Pc i use exactly all the emulatots i had on the older pc..everything works except zsnes1.51.

I don't want to switch to snes9x, zsnes is totally better.. until now XD

Could it be my video card? 9800 GT
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Is vsync checked?
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Johan_H wrote:Is vsync checked?
With V-synch enabled, in windowed mode, the game is even worse/less smooth; in Full Screen mode enabling Triple buffering and Vsync does absolutely nothing (at least i don't notice any difference)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

asboxxx wrote:it's 60 Hz :(

My own idea is that somehow ver. 1.51 isn't totally compatible with windows 7; In 5 minutes someone will rush here to say "1.51 is fully compatible with 7", but i'm not 100% sure.
I mean, on this Pc i use exactly all the emulatots i had on the older pc..everything works except zsnes1.51.

I don't want to switch to snes9x, zsnes is totally better.. until now XD

Could it be my video card? 9800 GT
it's perfectly compatible with windows 7. i have no issues in win7 x64, radeon 4770.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Isn't there the problem with windows 7 and the lack of directdraw acceleration? Though it shouldn't cause slowness, it may cause the "bad video quality" he's referring to, if he means it being unsmoothed and blocky.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

paulguy wrote:Isn't there the problem with windows 7 and the lack of directdraw acceleration? Though it shouldn't cause slowness, it may cause the "bad video quality" he's referring to, if he means it being unsmoothed and blocky.
I didn't know about that...if it's true it may be my problem! :)
but..i think that the only solution to this is to wait the next release..am i wrong?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

DirectDraw is accelerated under Windows 7, but most video drivers no longer bilinear filter any scaled surfaces, so you get ugly results with anything that doesn't scale to an exact integer mulitple of the source video size.

At least I think it accelerates it. Everything DirectDraw related runs fine without munching the CPU on my Windows 7 system. Although zsnesw did run rather slow in VMWare running Windows 7, but I guess that may just be because their simulated graphics acceleration isn't too great. It got a 2.something on Windows Experience Index for Aero graphics, too, while everything else was more like 6.x.
Awakened
Rookie

Post by Awakened »

You should try out SNESGT and bsnes. The latest versions of ZSNES and SNES9X both stutter on my Athlon 64 X2 8800GT Vista32 system. For SNESGT to run perfectly smooth I have Synchronous Update and CPU Sleep for Sync checked in the video options. In bsnes I think I used some kind of sync option.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

It seems that i have to wait till the next version :(
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Btw i've tried zsnes 1.52 (Wip): everything seems to work fine! So my theory about compatibility wasn't completely wrong!
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

This sounds like more of a "Delete your configuration and start from scratch." solution than using a different zsnes version.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

I've done that three times :) 1.51, 1.50..etc just doesn't work as they should!
With 1.51 as i said i always have those graphical/speed problems and for example, while playing chrono trigger (ex: static image while running near walls), i got many bugs which seems to be fixed in the new beta
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

asboxxx wrote:
Johan_H wrote:Is vsync checked?
With V-synch enabled, in windowed mode, the game is even worse/less smooth; in Full Screen mode enabling Triple buffering and Vsync does absolutely nothing (at least i don't notice any difference)
It sounds like the DWM and the emulators Vsync code are getting in each others way for Windowed modes. This is the problem Bsnes has which has no true full screen mode like Zsnes has. Full Screen Exclusive modes disable the DWM afaik which eliminates the problem.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64