Running ZSNES on Ubuntu

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

fefan117

Running ZSNES on Ubuntu

Post by fefan117 »

I'm very new to Linux in general and I have no idea of how to run ZSNES on Ubuntu. I believe it is a fairly recent version. Can anyone give me an easy to follow description on how to get it to run?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Running ZSNES on Ubuntu

Post by paulguy »

If it's installed, it's probably in a menu. If it's not in a menu, then you can use the Run Program dialog to run it by typing zsnes in it and pressing enter.

If it doesn't work then I don't know what to say. I've heard of people having issues with it in ubuntu, but I don't use ubuntu.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
fefan117

Post by fefan117 »

What I mean is that I read the instructions to install it. I extracted the files into a folder. It then said to run zsnes.exe, but I couldn't find that program. All there is is a bunch of documents in various folders. I have no idea what to do.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, the instructions you're reading are for Windows. I assume you're trying to compile it from source.

Anyone know if the one from Ubuntu works yet? I remember it being broken, or something.

If it works you can go to the package manager (Probably under some kind of Settings or Administration menu.), search for zsnes in there and install it from that. Much easier than trying to compile from source if you're unfamiliar with how to do it. However, if you do want to, you'll need a handful of packages including gcc, nasm, make, libsdl-dev, libpng-dev, some kind of opengl development package (does nvidia/ati ship their own?) and probably some other stuff. There should be instructions on compiling it in Linux somewhere.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

for ubuntu users you point them to that post, lol
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
fefan117

Post by fefan117 »

You know what, screw it! I'll just install windows on another drive and use that version.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

If you're using ubuntu you can simply select the APP get store thingie is has. zsnes is a pre compiled file. Just download it and it installs for you right to your programs. Couldnt be any simpler.