16:9 Viewing Causing Image Stretching

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jantyego
Rookie

Re: 16:9 Viewing Causing Image Stretching

Post by jantyego »

I never thought that most of the zsnes users are happy with a distortioned 4:3 picture... sorry about that

for me its more than obvious that I want to play with an original 8:7 ratio but "fullscreen"

" Don't act like everyone's at fault when you didn't explain the problem the first time."

we want the 1024*896 (good old 8:7 res 4x hq filter) stretch to 1234*1080
but zsnes fucks up the longer side to 14xx (I dont remember)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

jantyego wrote:I never thought that most of the zsnes users are happy with a distortioned 4:3 picture... sorry about that

for me its more then obvious that I want to play with an original 8:7 ratio but "fullscreen"
the original display was 4:3. did you ever actually play on a real SNES connected to a CRT TV?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

There's no reason to use 8:7 mode, that's why it's not an option in your case. It's a throwback to old PCs where 4:3 scaling would've been too much of a performance hit. 4:3 mode is how the games were played originally (rectangular/ovoid pixels) so don't expect that to be supported.

Also, obvious troll.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
jantyego
Rookie

Post by jantyego »

yes, but who cares what was 20 years ago?

back then we didnt give a shit about ratio

but now its annoying.. good for you, if its not
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Are you trolling? Just say so if you are.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
jantyego
Rookie

Post by jantyego »

There's no reason to use 8:7 mode

"no reason" to keep SNES's ORIGINAL ratio? just cause 20 years ago the 4:3 fucked up the picture?

lol
jantyego
Rookie

Post by jantyego »

so this is the "final explanation"

"you cant keep the original 8:7 ratio for 1080 BECAUSE 20 years ago..."

nice and clever, I finished here

it was funny
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

The monitors used to develop the games on were 4:3, and the target displays were 4:3 TVs, so while the internal resolution was 8:7, it was made to be displayed at 4:3.

Compare the moon in the background in this scene from Chrono Trigger.

And I know this guy is obviously trolling. It's probably lordmissus or something, but for the sake of somebody else with the same misunderstanding, they can maybe find this in a search.
jantyego
Rookie

Post by jantyego »

the great thing is that YOUR favourite game is just fine
other games, other people... who cares?
jantyego
Rookie

Post by jantyego »

this would be the shit, huh?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

jantyego wrote:I do believe its about 10 minutes to fix
I do believe you spent a lot more time whining instead of fixing it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Replying to a locked thread to add something. That distortion you see? That is because the Windows version uses DirectDraw, which is not bilinear filtered in most modern systems. If you want a picture which is not distorted, you need to use 512x448 DR windowed, or 640x480 DR full screen.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I love how the guy PMed me... I'm sure I'll get flamed as a response.

DR is rather limited, because it is scaled at whole number multiples (so you are almost guaranteed a black void). It is already available in ZSNES for custom resolutions (to a limited extent IIRC).

I don't understand why you can't just uncheck "Use 4:3 ratio" in conjunction with a stretching mode. I'm pretty sure you would generally get what you would want. You would be limited to a Windowed mode, but at least it would work.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The thing is, any stretching not performed by ZSNES itself in software is going to look ugly as hell in Windows. That is why I suggested using 640x480 DR full screen.

ZSNES really needs to replace DirectDraw with Direct3D, so any hardware stretching can optionally be bilinear filtered. So it doesn't look like crap.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Deathlike2 wrote:I love how the guy PMed me... I'm sure I'll get flamed as a response.
I wouldn't worry about a thing, the idiot PMed me as well, but then deleted the message before I got to it...

wuss.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

What kind of shitty forum lets you edit or delete PMs you've already sent?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

As far as I know only phpBB lets you do that..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Yeah. The only other board I have used, which I have familiarity of the internal workings of, is IP.Board. That particular script creates multiple copies of every PM sent. One for the outbox of the sender, and one for each of the recipients. At least, that's how version 2 does it.

Version 3 probably does it in a smarter way. If not, it should. Namely, storing the message subject and body separately from the owner attributes, and storing a reference to that in the table of who owns the message. Ownership table would contain the unique ID for that table, the ID of who owns that copy of the message, the ID of the location of the message (outbox/inbox/storage), and the ID of the message itself. Deleting or moving the message would manipulate the entry in the association table. The message body table entries would contain a reference count of how many associations reference that particular post. Any time an association is created or deleted, the reference count would be adjusted. When the reference count reaches zero, the message body is also purged.

Sounds complicated. I love to make complicated things like that.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I would like to report a bug, where the poster did not read my response to his question, which would have given him his desired result.

Just in case he is still blind: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 84#p215984

Hint: Custom res in a DS Windowed mode with Use 4:3 Ratio unchecked.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Oh yeah, the wuss sent me another PM and then it was deleted. :?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Stupid is as stupid does. I explained to him at length how he can get what he wants, but he clearly doesn't want to try it and frankly I don't care anymore.

He'll be the next Franky-in-line.