Choppy Speeds with ATI 9500 PRO radeon card...WHY?!?!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Now this is odd, I can't get this to work, either, unless I use a command prompt.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
yournamehere

Post by yournamehere »

Sleepy wrote:hmm...i tried editing my shortcut to target:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\VIDEO GAMES\Super Nintendo\ZSNESW.EXE -6"

but it obviously didnt work, since the actual ZSNESW.exe doesnt have an -6 at the end... How would i add that -6 to the executable file? i tried renaming it and it didnt work that way... it keeps saying "the name specified in the target box is not valid"
Parameters (such as the -6) must go *outside* the quotation marks.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Thanks a whole bunch, yournamehere. And I didn't mean this in a sarcastic way.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Is there a -5 switch for PAL?

I'll add this issue to the FAQ.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Dmog wrote:This should be included in the zsnes faq imo as this gets posted once in a while:

Q:"Help! Zsnes is choppy but it's running 60/60fps!"

A: Make sure your monitor is set to 60khz (or 50 for pal games) Run zsnes with the -6 switch
Isn't that supposed to be just 60Hz? 60kHz is.... too unreal. :?
Right :lol:
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

kevman wrote:Is there a -5 switch for PAL?

I'll add this issue to the FAQ.
No, I don't think there is.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Besides, I don't think computer monitors can do 50Hz.
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

adventure_of_link wrote:Besides, I don't think computer monitors can do 50Hz.
Most of them can do 50hz just fine. The drivers usually do not enable that mode because flickering is so visible on a progressive-scan CRT, even at 60hz...
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

That's what I thought until recently, A program called 'Powerstrip' showed me otherwise.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I've always known mine could do it, because on some really old driver I used the monitor would switch to 50 hz and 768x512 (or something) resolution when using my TV-out. It was awful, but probably because you're used to sitting a lot closer to a monitor than to a TV. Try sitting ten inches from your TV (if you're on PAL), you'll get a headache as well.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Hmm, I just tried that -6 switch on my parent's computer, so my little brothers can play faster than they currently can, and it doesn't work. zsnes just takes longer to start up, then the screen mode is still 85hz. Weird
~Bent
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Ichinisan wrote:
Most of them can do 50hz just fine. The drivers usually do not enable that mode because flickering is so visible on a progressive-scan CRT, even at 60hz...
Oh, ok, I was going to say... kilivipin made a thread asking about this.
NSRT here.
yournamehere

Post by yournamehere »

Bent wrote:Hmm, I just tried that -6 switch on my parent's computer, so my little brothers can play faster than they currently can, and it doesn't work. zsnes just takes longer to start up, then the screen mode is still 85hz. Weird
Make sure your display settings don't have a refresh rate override set somewhere.
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

I've always used a program called Refresh Force. What it does is change the refresh rate to 60Hz when running @ 640x480. I have to do this or I can never get smooth play in any emulator. This way I don't have to change my resolution and refresh, every time I want to play an emulator. It's all automatic.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

yournamehere wrote:
Bent wrote:Hmm, I just tried that -6 switch on my parent's computer, so my little brothers can play faster than they currently can, and it doesn't work. zsnes just takes longer to start up, then the screen mode is still 85hz. Weird
Make sure your display settings don't have a refresh rate override set somewhere.
It was more of a statement than an ask for help. I only looked at it for about 1 minute. I know I don't have any refresh overrides set because I couldn't get them to work on that video card either. The computer is pretty old and junky, the video card that's in there right now is some old board that I threw in because nothing else would work.
~Bent
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

(Edit)Doh, I just noticed 'yournamehere' already mentioned this.(/Edit)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\VIDEO GAMES\Super Nintendo\ZSNESW.EXE -6"

That, to me, appears to have an obvious problem. Enclosing the entire command line argument in quotes would suggest that there is only one item (the whole command). There should be an executable file, being passed a single argument. I would represent that was follows:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\VIDEO GAMES\Super Nintendo\ZSNESW.EXE" -6

All I did was move the quote to encase the executable path.

If this change does nothing, then I don't understand how Windows handles shortcuts.

BTW, the quotes should only be necessary around paths that include spaces. If you were to have ZSNES somewhere else, the command would be shorter/simpler. For example:

D:\Program\ZSNES\zsnesw.exe -6

looks like something I would do.
frankbrodie
Rookie

Post by frankbrodie »

Windows requires two arguments if you are adding a switch to the .exe

I found this to my cost when trying for an hour to get ePSXe to use a -noauto switch for Chrono Cross.

So in my case, the command line to add -6 to ZSNES would go -

C:\Emulators\SNES\zsnesw.exe -6 zsnesw.exe

And that works. I tried it just now :D
Nunc est bibendum...