Same ROM, different File?!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

bugger
Rookie

Same ROM, different File?!

Post by bugger »

I wonder how the rom-files are organized. I have some files, which GoodSNES tells me are the same - but their filehash differs.
Somehow Goodsnes seems to ignore padding or metadata?!
If it's just padding, is there a tool which automatically strips the padding? (and only the padding) or (if needed for ZSNES & Co) replaces the padding of all files by the same pattern? (e.g. just 0s)

same applies for other ROMs, too (.z64 and .v64 for example) - but I think this is the wrong place for discussing non-SNES formats :)
Last edited by bugger on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Same ROM, different File?!

Post by paulguy »

Could be different copier headers. I don't know the details of how goodsnes's hashing works, though.

But nowadays, goodsnes is quite outdated, and you should probably use something like no-intro or TOSEC DATs.

As for removing copier headers, there's all kinds of tools for that, or you can just manually chop off the first 512 bytes. For scrubbing, that's a bit more complicated. SNES ROMs don't really have much of a standard data organization or filesystem so that really can't be automated like on later platforms that either require the use of a standard filesystem or at least see widespread use of a standard filesystem.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
bugger
Rookie

Post by bugger »

outdated? Are there still new ROMs which appear from somewhere?!

I read about copier headers in between the posts - is there any use? HiROM/LoROM can be detected by the rom itself - waht about the save-RAM size?

If these headers are not usefull at all, I'd use the commandline version of NSRT to strip all the headers.

Does hiROM/LoROM depend on the game or is this chosen by the copier?
Or is there one "most common" to use ?

basicly I don't want to store the same rom twice, just because of crappy useless differences, which only the hash sum cares about :)
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yes, there are new dumps coming out, where previous dumps that were thought good actually turned out to be bad.

Also the headers aren't used by emulators. Those things are automatically detected. The details I'm not familiar with but it seems to be reliable. Not sure what the headers stored but they were basically used to compensate for the shortcomings in cheap custom chips from the 90s.

There are also maybe other possibilities for why 2 different ROMs might be detected as the same exact ROM, but I don't know what goodtools does.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

<pedantry>a header, as the name implies, is located at the beginning of the file.</pedantry>
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

If you already have NSRT, you should look at what it can do.

Like remove overdumps, copier headers, and duplicate files.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54