Feature Request: Noisy Y/C Cable (sharp) filter.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

triman84

Feature Request: Noisy Y/C Cable (sharp) filter.

Post by triman84 »

I've noticed that several emulators seem to use many of the same video filters (2xsai engine for example). There is a filter I noticed while using an MSX emulator, blueMSX, called Noisy Y/C Cable (sharp). This filter creates a sort of static effect over the game itself. I really like this effect and was hoping it could be implimented into ZSNES. I love the emulator, keep up the great work (btw, I never have bug problems, I almost feel neglected) :lol: blueMSX's feature page, an image of this is near the bottom http://www.bluemsx.com/features.html
Tactical Espionage Action... okay, got the Espionaga Action part. What does "Tactical" mean again?
Dmog
Lurker

Re: Feature Request: Noisy Y/C Cable (sharp) filter.

Post by Dmog »

triman84 wrote:I've noticed that several emulators seem to use many of the same video filters (2xsai engine for example). There is a filter I noticed while using an MSX emulator, blueMSX, called Noisy Y/C Cable (sharp). This filter creates a sort of static effect over the game itself. I really like this effect and was hoping it could be implimented into ZSNES. I love the emulator, keep up the great work (btw, I never have bug problems, I almost feel neglected) :lol: blueMSX's feature page, an image of this is near the bottom http://www.bluemsx.com/features.html
Won't happen. Currently, the Zsnes people don't really care to implement these type of features. What has been accepted so far are more of cosmetic changes/small annoyance fixs with Zsnes itself. Nothing really major (like a new filter for example) Besides, features requests that have not a large pool of supporters are generally shot down quite rapidly.

"Don't ask for inane features such as porting ZSNES to MacOS or adding Super GameBoy emulation, etc." The 'etc' should be turned into "don't ask for things that wouldn't be used by a vast majority of Zsnes users". Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic here.That's just how it is really. I think this should be made into a sticky.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I think you'll find that if you enable interpolation + 25% scanlines on Zsnes you'll get a really nice TV-simulation too.

Though... after looking at the page, that does look good. Hey, you could try implementing it yourself. ;)
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Depending on how the filter is coded and its what license it's under, it could be added to zsnes, but it'd require to meddle with the gui (add a new box, and make it exclusive).

@Dmog: were you around when MaxSt registered and posted something similar ? hq*x was in zsnes under a month after that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Although MaxSt implemented much of the hq filters himself to my knowledge, so adding it was not much of a pain for the developers of the time.

Plus that filter looks utterly crap IMO. TV-Out is the only way to faithfully reproduce the garbage that TVs distort the true Snes image with.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Well, I didn't do my job at the time, and zinx had a field day getting HQ2x into the Linux version...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

Does HQ2X actually work in Linux? Seems unlikely to me.
I see hq2x_16b() gets invoked from Windows-only code, and that's the only place.

MaxSt.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

MaxSt wrote:Does HQ2X actually work in Linux? Seems unlikely to me.
I see hq2x_16b() gets invoked from Windows-only code, and that's the only place.

MaxSt.
I assure you hq2x works in linux.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

I can't stand the blurriness. Call me weird, but I like Zsnes just the way it is without any filters or interpolation.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Looks nice, but it's up to the developers to add it or not, although I'm quite happy with the filters we have now.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Slightly offtopic remark; if composite really looks like this on TVs, then I find myself lucky for living in a scart-using continent. I mean, you can't see a single fucking pixel... it's just a blurry mess.

And some people played SNES games like this ?! Oh my, my, my.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The filter looks okay, but it's not my cup of tea.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
triman84

Post by triman84 »

First of all, as far as snes emulation itself goes, zsnes is around 99.9% complete IMO; bug fixes are mostly a thing of the past here. Second, filters are nothing but add-in in the first place, which the emulator has supported for a while, why not another one? Dmog, nice paraphrasing and twisting of the rules, besides, I think alot of people would enjoy this filter if they toyed with it. Download blueMSX and a demo to give it a try, its nothing like scanlines or like playing it on a TV. Personally, I prefer filters, except with Mario, can't stand filters on Mario.
Tactical Espionage Action... okay, got the Espionaga Action part. What does "Tactical" mean again?
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

triman84 wrote:First of all, as far as snes emulation itself goes, zsnes is around 99.9% complete IMO; bug fixes are mostly a thing of the past here.
Have you seen the Official Bug Topic lately?
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

illegal eagle wrote:
triman84 wrote:First of all, as far as snes emulation itself goes, zsnes is around 99.9% complete IMO; bug fixes are mostly a thing of the past here.
Have you seen the Official Bug Topic lately?
Beat me to it! Yeah.. ZSNES still has PLENTY of bugs which will take quite some time to fix. Then I'm sure we will find some more.

There was also a discussion on the innacurate timing in ZSNES. If all the current bugs get fixed, one could move on to fixing the timing.
And the list goes on after that.

Just because Super Mario World works well enough for you to think ZSNES is 99.9% bug free means nothing. It's not bug free nor anywhere near it. You're wrong.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Nightcrawler wrote:Just because Super Mario World works well enough for you to think ZSNES is 99.9% bug free means nothing.
Heh...
zsKnight wrote:[in response to Qwertie]
Just ignore invalid addresses. They're everywhere (even mario world!)
When you don't handle this correctly, you get errors. (Remember the "PPU" bug, Nightcrawler? :) )
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

triman84 wrote:First of all, as far as snes emulation itself goes, zsnes is around 99.9% complete IMO; bug fixes are mostly a thing of the past here. Second, filters are nothing but add-in in the first place, which the emulator has supported for a while, why not another one? Dmog, nice paraphrasing and twisting of the rules, besides, I think alot of people would enjoy this filter if they toyed with it. Download blueMSX and a demo to give it a try, its nothing like scanlines or like playing it on a TV. Personally, I prefer filters, except with Mario, can't stand filters on Mario.
99.9%? Please...Like Nightcrawler said: Check out the bug topic, or better yet: the zsnes bug tracker. The list there isn't even an exhaustive one.

And the Kiddies shall inherit the earth...

There was also a discussion on the innacurate timing in ZSNES. If all the current bugs get fixed, one could move on to fixing the timing.
And the list goes on after that.
Wouldn't it make more sense to try to fix the timing 'first' (supposing it's something that could be fixed of course) I admit I don't quite get the purpose of the bug list/bug tracker... what's the point exactly? If you're not going to rewrite the whole timing system (again: I'm not the one who knows if that's even possible..) that means you're going to make "hacks" to the timing system..well "hack" is maybe a bad choice of word here (I'm not a native english speaker btw :p) but basically you're going to "build upon" what you allready have. Adding things progressively so that more game works. While that's not a bad thing in itself, that's not addressing the main issue (supposing you care about the main issue in the first place)
triman84

Post by triman84 »

I've noticed the bug report is quite large, thanks. However, I haven't had any issues with Zsnes in the past few years. I might also add that alot of these bugs are very minor. Regardless of the bugs, a feature request isn't unreasonable, after all this is a feature request forum is it not? If new features shouldn't be considered, then why ask for suggestions? This new feature would not paralyze the emulator, so are there any REAL problems here?
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Adding more and more filters is pointless when hardly anyone is going to use it, and the trouble it causes just to add it when more important things are being worked on (like SuperFX/SA-1 chips) that almost everybody would prefer time spent on. It took a lot of work to simply add a blinking cursor in the GUI. ZSNES is fully open source so anyone can add it, as long as they are fluent in assembly.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Dmog wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to try to fix the timing 'first' (supposing it's something that could be fixed of course) I admit I don't quite get the purpose of the bug list/bug tracker... what's the point exactly? If you're not going to rewrite the whole timing system (again: I'm not the one who knows if that's even possible..) that means you're going to make "hacks" to the timing system..well "hack" is maybe a bad choice of word here (I'm not a native english speaker btw :p) but basically you're going to "build upon" what you allready have. Adding things progressively so that more game works. While that's not a bad thing in itself, that's not addressing the main issue (supposing you care about the main issue in the first place)
It would make sense to work on the timing engine first being that some of those bugs are probably related to the inaccurate timing. However, rewriting the timing engine is going to be a large task and when complete there's going to be lots of games that used to work that now don't! Byuu pointed out some reasons why it may be better to leave ZSNES with it's current engine in the Dev forum.

And of course.. Pagefault can work on whatever he wants first. There's no special order anything has to be done in in the hobby world!

I'm interested to know how many of the current bugs are timing related. Perhaps it's not as grave as we may think.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Just one example:

EWJ2 transfers data to the SPC via HDMA, ie. every scanline some bytes. The timing has to be correct, and HDMA and the CPU-APU communication are among the things that are hard to emulate.
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Jesus! What a read that was. I only made it through a few of those pages. Very informative though.

They go more into depth on the HDMA issue with EWJ2 than I expected. And that clearly explains how these timing problems occur and why it's difficult to fix.