WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this farce.
moar popcorn, plz
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You can do whatever. I rather not drag this "argument" into eternity, so I'll end it here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

What was going on that had you guys so interested? Seems whatever it was got deleted so maybe trolling?
*Mute

Post by *Mute »

I'm, like, pretty sure I'd know if I was deleted.
Mugunghwa ship security AI, retired
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Fixed ;)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

*Mute wrote:I'm, like, pretty sure I'd know if I was deleted.
don't mind him, you silly bo^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H masterful piece of AI, he didn't even realize his posts got split into their own thread.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:
don't mind him, you silly bo^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H masterful piece of AI, he didn't even realize his posts got split into their own thread.
real men use ^W
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
odditude

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:
odditude wrote:
real men use ^W
...i'm curious who would win in an argument between tabbed terminal app developers for Windows over which would break their workflow worse - capturing ^W or passing it to the OS :p
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Beat CT, on to DQ8 and FF4DS! I'm still at the beginning of DQ8 because I was busy moving and setting shit up ay my new place, and I finally have a nice CRT to play SNES, PS2/PS1, DC, and N64 games on. Now all I need to do is buy component cables for my PS2 and S-video for the N64, SNES, N64, and DC. VGA would be best for my DC, but S-video is so much cheaper. DC games look amazing even via composite due to its great IQ compared to most PS2 games, so S-video should suffice. I really missed the scanlines and smooth scrolling of a CRT; older games looked AWFUL on my old 2007 Samsung LCD. My new Sharp LCD doesn't have any composite inputs and while I could use the component inputs for a switcher, lower res games will look terrible on a 1080p LCD. CRTs are king when it comes to pre-PS360.

I can't even imagine how gorgeous DQ8 will look via component, because even with comparatively shitty composite cables, it looks beautiful. I'll be focusing on DQ8 for now, but once I get the hang of DQ8 I'll alternate between it and FF4DS. I plan to do 2 playthroughs of FF4DS so I can fight that proto-babil. Getting even 1 onion sword(for Kain) is going to be a massive pain in the ass. I want 2 but unless I get lucky I'll probably just get 1 so Kain can do ridiculous amounts of damage with focus+jump. It's cool how the focus ability stacks.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

So I've been playing:

* New Super Mario Bros U
* Star Ocean
* Soul Blazer

I must say NSMBU looks really damn good on my TV, however on the touch screen it looks as if I'm playing it on the regular Wii.. I got Game & Wario and New Super Luigi [s]Bros[/s] U lined up next. Then in about ten days, Grand Theft Auto V will be coming in the UPS or something.

Additionally, I'm diggin' this Wii U. Too bad you can't just install the games to the controller brick and go though.. :(
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

A bit off-topic, but I'm incredibly interested in Monolith's X on the WiiU, and if it's as awesome as it looks so far, I may buy a WiiU just for that one game. The other exclusives would simply be a nice bonus. Great JRPGs on non-handhelds these days are few and far between. I really wish the 3DS had video out because my vision is bad enough that it's difficult for me to play handheld games, but I'm considering an XL because it's got some really cool looking JRPGs on it.

The Wii U's sales are absolutely horrible unfortunately, but I' can't say it's totally fucked until the bigger games like MK and Smash come out. I want Nintendo to succeed because they seem to be the only company still interested in making pure dedicated gaming consoles these days. I couldn't care less about all the multimedia nonsense on the other systems; I just want good games. I have my eye on the PS4 as well, but there aren't any games that interest me so far, so I'll wait 3-4 years and see what comes out. I'm more interested in Monolith's X than any other game on the horizon.

The Wii U's lack of power compared to the PS4 & XB1 doesn't bother me because it can still produce really gorgeous visuals, and Nintendo still makes some of the best games out there. Some people are WAY too obsessed with visuals, and none of the new consoles are even close to being on the level of high-end PCs. I hope its sales pick up once the big 1st party games come out.

Also, despite having the ROM, I've only played a tiny bit of Star Ocean, and that was just to test the ROM/patch. Without spoiling, does it have an interesting story?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Yuber wrote:Also, despite having the ROM, I've only played a tiny bit of Star Ocean, and that was just to test the ROM/patch. Without spoiling, does it have an interesting story?
I'm not the one to ask tbh... I played through once before many years ago and got stuck in that pirate's cove. I get back to the same place, unintentionally had a pickaxe equipped, and I instantly got myself unstuck. Go figure. I was kicking myself in the ass for alittle while afterwards. :? -shrugs-

Of course, those pirates are a bee-yatch to destroy though. I barely made it out alive, but is worth it; the battles give off like 220 EXP or so. So I guess it's time to go visit the inn and recover, lather rinse repeat until I can wipe the floor with the pirates. Good thing I didn't send that big sword guy (Cius I think) on his way after doing that little sidequest... or else this would be nearly impossible to accomplish. :|
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:unintentionally had a pickaxe equipped, and I instantly got myself unstuck. Go figure.
I.e., "read the fucking accessory descriptions when you equip them, turdface". I pulled through that part before the graphics packs were a thing, for fucks sake.
Good thing I didn't send that big sword guy (Cius I think) on his way after doing that little sidequest... or else this would be nearly impossible to accomplish. :|
And you lose Perisie forever. Yes, SO is that kind of game.

(P.S.: If you read a walkthrough on your first game, Gabriel will buttrape you in your sleep.)

Yuber wrote:does it have an interesting story?
It's quite obviously a star trek ripoff, and done so on purpose. The plot is nothing amazing (also expect very soft scifi blabber). The greatness of SO comes from the very active battles, the variable parties (well, except for SO4... meh) and the skill system. And finding how to exploit said skill system to craft godslayer grade eq halfway into the game. And optimising said abuse.
And kicking Gabriel in the face (or the opposite). Several times.

And bullying Puffy. Oh, the humanity.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

SO sounds interesting, but I generally play RPGs for their stories, although good battle, equipment, skill etc systems are important to me as well. I've only played a tiny bit of SO, and the battles are pretty cool although I've yet to actually learn how to exploit its systems due to inexperience. I'm not into Star Trek myself but I hope SO's story is a good ST ripoff. If the story is generic nonsense with bad writing and characters I probably won't enjoy it. Even if an RPG story is generic, well-written characters that actually develop can make up for a generic story as long as it's not complete garbage.(FF13 for example, 100% garbage)

The reverse is true as well though; FFX had a pretty decent story but Tidus' obnoxious voice acting(and design) almost killed it for me. Its linearity/lack of a sense of exploration didn't help either. Wakka, despite having Bender's VA, annoyed the shit out of me also, although not NEARLY as much as Tidus. Seymour just made me laugh my ass off every time I saw his goofy ass antler hair despite him being an obnoxious eyesore all throughout the game.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I've only played Star Ocean 2. I would not say it is something I played for the plot, but I rarely say that about JRPGs anyways. I will say that Rena is the one true story path.
And don't go off running a criminal empire with your party, or everyone will be alone in the end.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:And don't go off running a criminal empire with your party, or everyone will be alone in the end.
Unless you make everyone happy buddies again using drugs and violence !

weeeeeheeeee

(alternatively, with books and violence, but... meh)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:And don't go off running a criminal empire with your party, or everyone will be alone in the end.
Unless you make everyone happy buddies again using drugs and violence !

weeeeeheeeee

(alternatively, with books and violence, but... meh)
Basically, what we're saying is...

Star Ocean 2: The best parts are implied.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

adventure_of_link wrote:So I've been playing:

* New Super Mario Bros U
* Star Ocean
* Soul Blazer
In addition to these, we can add:

* New Super Luigi U
* Super Mario 3D Land
* New Super Mario Bros 2

Yep, I resurrected my 3DS from the "dead". What is it with modern electronics, when they're completely at zero (after you discharge the battery and let it sit for a month or more), then one day decide to go and recharge it, and it needs an extra long time before you can even turn it on? My Nexus 7 also suffers from this.

Also, NSLU is pretty difficult, but challenging. I mean hell, EVERY level is 100 seconds, save for the bosses in which you get an extra 100 seconds upon arrival (except for Bowser Jr that's 150 seconds).
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Completely discharging is really bad for lithium ion batteries.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I think discharging is how my 1st PSP battery died, plus I had it stacked up on shelves for a long time. When I got it out, the battery slot on the PSP was warped as well so I couldn't replace the battery & update the FW. I only replaced it to play FF4 Complete Collection(to play the remastered version of the original). TAY never happened in my mind and the original has a perfect ending. I kinda wish the 3d remake was made for the PSP and the DS got the 2d remake, because as awesome as FF4DS is, the DS itself really limits its potential. I REALLY appreciate the video-out on the PSP 2000+ because my vision is terrible even with glasses. I'm playing FF4DS on desmume which makes it MUCH easier for me to play.

I can play on handhelds, but it really tires my eyes out and I often miss small details. I'm thinking about getting a 3DS because it has some great games, and while there's no video-out, at least there's an XL version. Unfortunately for me, the Japanese market is quickly moving to the handheld/phone/tablet market. I'd be really happy if Japanese companies started dominating the home console industry again.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:Also, NSLU is pretty difficult, but challenging.
>difficult, but challenging
>but challenging
>but

what

Do you prefer your games difficult, yet unchallenging ? Or maybe challenging albeit easy. How does this work exactly

>difficult, butter challenging
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I know you're being sarcastic, but I assume he means that despite being hard, it's challenging in a fun way. Ghouls n' Ghosts(arcade and Genesis) fits that description for me. It's brutally hard with enemies coming at you all the time, and when you're in your underwear and a chest pops up, it's usually just the dong-nosed fag wizard trying to turn you into an old man. I had to memorize almost all the chest spawns in order to avoid that wizard, and he's much easier to deal with than most of the other enemies, especially those cheap ass arremers. I felt pretty satisfied when I beat the Genesis version on professional, and VERY satisfied after beating the world arcade version on its default difficulty. The arcade version is especially hard because there are no boss checkpoints, making that fucking maggot boss and beelzebub's stage even more brutal.

I can beat GNG Genesis on professional without too much pain, but the Japanese and world arcade versions are incredibly hard. I've beaten the arcade version twice and I never wanna go through that again. That was probably the most frustrated I've ever been playing a game, but killing pussy ass lucifer was incredibly satisfying. You'd think the final boss of such a hard game would be tougher than the maggot and beelzebub, but he's a total pushover.
odditude

Post by odditude »

you, sir, are a broken record.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I can be, but beating Ghouls was so fucking frustrating that I deserve the right to brag about it sometimes. I'm thinking about picking up Ultimate GNG as well. Have you played it, and if you have, how is it compared to the other games in the series? I've asked about UGNG before in case you mention that, but I never got a response. It's not something I'm REALLY hyped to play so I'm holding off on it for now. Every game in that series is a brutally frustrating ordeal.

Once I finally get around to beating SGNG, I should try out Demon's Crest. Arcade Ghouls, at least imo, is an incredibly easy game compared to SGNG, same with the original Ghosts n' Goblins.

EDIT, 9-27-13: I've been finishing up FF4DS(which, although it looks amazing for a DS game, looks kinda shitty although it's a wonderful remake) before even getting into DQ8 because I want to be fully committed to completing DQ8. When I've tried to juggle multiple JRPGs in the past, I usually forget a lot about at least one of them since I tend to focus on just 1. DQ8 feels like one of those special games that only comes around once every ~10 years, so I want to be 100% invested in the game with zero distractions.

I'm still a little busy setting my new condo up, so I'm still in my 1st playthrough at the last save point in the game. You weren't kidding about those fucking red dragons; the first one I fought surprised the shit out of me. I want to get at least 1 red tail, preferably 2 for Cecil and Kain. I'll settle for 1(for Kain), but using sirens and fighting those fuckers is ridiculously annoying, and although I've killed countless red dragons, I haven't gotten even a single red tail. As far as ultimate weapons go, Kain really got shafted with the holy lance, which sucks ass compared to Cecil's Ragnarok. I hate that both are elemental weapons, so it'd be nice to get 2 onion swords, but the Ragnarok is pretty good. If I try forever and can't get 2 red tails, I'll settle for 1, which is taking forever anyway.

Also, the Lunasaur battle(for the 2 ribbons) would've been significantly harder if I wouldn't have gotten those 2 VERY lucky ribbon drops from those annoying wizards in the final dungeon. If I went into that battle with no ribbons, that thing would've taken forever to kill. Everyone who has ever played an FF game HATES malboros and their ridiculous status attacks, and that lunasaur is basically a super powered malboro with a zombie dragon design. Plague wasn't as hard as I thought he'd be; use slow on all party members to slow the count down significantly. I wish equipment that protects against instant death attacks nullified doom.

Slow is seriously one of the best spells in FF4, no matter the version.