hide IP while playing online

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jackni8

hide IP while playing online

Post by jackni8 »

hi !
is there any way i can hide my IP address while playing online
i am not using Znet or stuff like that
my friend is kind of hacker lol
thanks in advance
eh !
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: hide IP while playing online

Post by grinvader »

Watching too much tv series is bad for you. -_-

You can't. If you're paranoid, get treated instead of going online, mister 115.242.32.46.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

jackni8 wrote:hi !
is there any way i can hide my IP address while playing online
i am not using Znet or stuff like that
my friend is kind of hacker lol
thanks in advance
No, because your IP address being visible is kind of critical to the internet, you know, working.
Every single packet of data that comes to your computer is directed using your IP address.

What you're asking is roughly equivalent to "is there a way to hide my mailing address while having something mailed to me?". It just doesn't work that way.

And your friend is probably a hacker in the sense that they know how to use some moronic ping-flood script they downloaded off some stupid website, and infested their computer with about a million pieces of malware in the process.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
jackni8

Post by jackni8 »

wtff, grinvader got my ip, ya'll are just bunch of gamer and hackers :/
now i see ip is kind of address lol, my friend was saying that he can disconnect someone from net if he knows ip address, so i thought if he looses in game he'll just disconnect me :D
eh !
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

jackni8 wrote:wtff, grinvader got my ip, ya'll are just bunch of gamer and hackers :/
now i see ip is kind of address lol, my friend was saying that he can disconnect someone from net if he knows ip address, so i thought if he looses in game he'll just disconnect me :D
He probably can. Using a moronic ping-flood script he downloaded off of some idiotic website.
To continue the postal address analogy, a ping flood is like running up to someone's mailbox and just cramming it so full of junk paper that the mailman can't put actual postal deliveries into it.

It does no permanent damage. As soon as he stops the flood, the connection resumes normal operation.
HIS connection likely isn't very usable for the duration of the "attack", either.

And if your friend would ping-flood you offline because he lost a game, you may need to get some new friends.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
jackni8

Post by jackni8 »

i am computer programmer and just never liked hacking stuff for some reasons which i even dont know i find it not mentally normal to hack someone's data just to annoy them but i think i am gonna learn those simple stuff (you're making it sound simple to ping-flood somone lol gotta do some digging in that) thanks will play games with my another dumb friend but i'm not sure i can instruct him enough over chat on setup-ing netplay in zsnes uh my god some people are just so smart and others are eh .. just forget it because they all good in another way .. btw thanks for all the help :)
eh !
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It's got nothing to do with data.

As a programmer, you're probably familiar with the concept of a network ping.
You send out a packet, get a response back, verify the computer you're pinging is there.

A ping flood is just what it sounds like. You send enough ping requests out that the victim's network interface is too busy replying to pings to do anything else.
It's dead simple to implement(because it's using standard network functionality in a standard way), and gains you access to no data(because there's no security violation going on).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

a programmer who doesn't understand what an IP address is..?

shenanigans.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
jackni8

Post by jackni8 »

i am just a fresher i with my alll 100% 1337 leet friends :? lol bunked every single networking and lots of other classes, and i did muged up those stuff for exams like 1.5 years ago cant remember anything now :/ we(group of friends) like only programming lol and me the easy one (interface related, and mysql db :D) :P
eh !
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

First that game need to provide configurability to use proxy, otherwise no-dice.

Some proxy are transparent, some are not,
Transparent proxies mean they will provide information to connected server about the IP that using their services.

Some proxy supports the transport protocol used by games, some are not.
Games might requires Socks5 compliant connection, but proxy might only support socks4 for example, therefore your game can't use this proxy.

Some game that can be configured to use proxy, CAN also alter the transmited data so that server that recieve the connection will know that certain client is using proxy, and know the real IP address.
This usually done by online game that doing Geo-Discrimination to prevent player outside certain region to play on region-specific servers using proxies,
while still allowing intended players to use proxies.

So, yeah usually the answer is NO.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

No apparently just like everyone says it seems like you can't hide your IP address with someone while you are hosting. I say have the other person host their ip address instead and once you have played a game with someone or connected via chatroom their IP will still stay on your IP address box for connecting later. Easier if you only play with one person online.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:No apparently just like everyone says it seems like you can't hide your IP address with someone while you are hosting. I say have the other person host their ip address instead and once you have played a game with someone or connected via chatroom their IP will still stay on your IP address box for connecting later. Easier if you only play with one person online.
You can't hide it if you aren't hosting either. Sure you don't have to hand them a set of numbers, but even a moron script kiddie can tell where the packets leaving their computer are going. IP addresses being available are NECESSARY for th network to work.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Mark57Raider wrote:No apparently just like everyone says it seems like you can't hide your IP address with someone while you are hosting. I say have the other person host their ip address instead and once you have played a game with someone or connected via chatroom their IP will still stay on your IP address box for connecting later. Easier if you only play with one person online.
You can't hide it if you aren't hosting either. Sure you don't have to hand them a set of numbers, but even a moron script kiddie can tell where the packets leaving their computer are going. IP addresses being available are NECESSARY for th network to work.
LOL. I hope you're not calling me a moron, because I wouldn't be able to tell where the packets are coming from. I guess a "moron" script kiddie is smarter than me.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
LOL. I hope you're not calling me a moron, because I wouldn't be able to tell where the packets are coming from. I guess a "moron" script kiddie is smarter than me.
Just saying anyone that wants your IP can get it, and virtually any attempt to conceal it is doomed to failure from the start. More dangerously, these attempts at concealment provide a false sense of security that may make people more lax in areas that ACTUALLY MATTER.

I was calling script kiddies morons, actually. They act like they're all hot shit after they downloaded an app that lets them pingflood someone and it shows their 3l33t 5k1llz when they click the little button that says "flood now."
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

I had no idea scripts like that, or programs like that existed. To the extent that while you're playing with someone I guess all you can really do is trust that the other one won't try to hack your IP just because you owned them in super mario kart. :roll:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:I had no idea scripts like that, or programs like that existed. To the extent that while you're playing with someone I guess all you can really do is trust that the other one won't try to hack your IP just because you owned them in super mario kart. :roll:
They can't "hack your IP"
An Internet Protocol address, or IP address for short, is just a number telling other computers where to send your packets on the network. It's as close to a perfect analogy for a real-world mailing address as you get.

Just like a real mailing address, it's visible to everyone that goes by, and no one can send you ANYTHING without it. Not even stuff you request.
If your computer is on the internet, everyone can see your IP address. Playing Super Mario Kart is NOT a requirement.

Someone can hack your IP address in the same way they can hack your phone number or hack your mailbox. As you may have guessed, it's a nonsensical and ridiculous threat.
Anyone that threatens to "hack your IP" is virtually guaranteed to be a script kiddie incapable of actually DOING anything, and can be safely ignored.

A ping flood, as I said, is completely stupid. It does no long-term damage, just makes your internet unusable(or possibly even just slow) for the duration of the attack, and ties up the attacker's internet too.
As I said, it's the equivalent of stuffing someone's mailbox full of papers so the mailman can't deliver a letter.

And that's the most likely attack you're going to see, because it requires no knowledge whatsoever. You don't have to know how to traverse a NAT layer, you don't have to know what OS the other guy is running, you don't have to know how computers work. You just need their IP address, which is available as a basic condition for using the internet.

I'm genuinely trying to be educational here, and apologize if I come off as rude.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:A ping flood, as I said, is completely stupid. It does no long-term damage, just makes your internet unusable(or possibly even just slow) for the duration of the attack,
Or just a tiny eeny weeny bit of cpu activity...

-p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j DROP
-p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
enjoy your invisible mailbox lelel
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

@Gil It's fine. At least I get to learn more about these mother fuckers. I really haven't met one yet. Maybe it's my antivirus, so not really sure.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

random iptables

stahp
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:@Gil It's fine. At least I get to learn more about these mother fuckers. I really haven't met one yet. Maybe it's my antivirus, so not really sure.
Antivirus won't stop a ping flood. It can't. If you block pings, the network thinks you're gone. A ping flood is just a LOT of pings.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads