Merry Christmas, you lovable assholes.

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Merry Christmas, you lovable assholes.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Kirby is God. Got it.
No, Mokona is God. Admittedly, they do look similar, so I understand the confusion.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

You got me there, Gil. Any ethereal/spirit being should be able to shapeshift, God or not. A being of pure energy would likely be able to take any form it wanted without issue, hypothetically. I do believe many pantheistic religions describe the same entities in different cultural terms and contexts. MAYBE all the pantheistic religions came from one original source, but the stories were modified to fit all the different cultures of the world. Ethereal beings representing different "elements" is a common thread among pantheistic religions. None of us have any clue just how old oral religious traditions are, but I assume it's tens of thousands of years.

EDIT: Forgot to mentioned that the fallen angels(messengers) described in the bible are portrayed in a similar fashion to the Greek "gods" as well as many other pantheistic stories of beings coming down from the sky. The biblical fallen messenger accounts even include stories of the fallen messengers having sex with our women, resulting in half human, half spiritual "giants"(Nephilim) or "demigods" in Greek mythology. Although they're culturally different, the various legends of ethereal beings coming down from the sky are so similar that my guess is that they all originated from a single source tens of thousands of years ago.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:I assume it's tens of thousands of years.
Try the next order of magnitude.

Also, don't forget christianism (and pretty much every monotheist religion) made it so that all the polytheist religions worshipped the bad guys(tm). Easy enough absorbing an older pantheon into yours (in the desired role) when you come in a few thousand years after they were first drafted.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Not knowing what the original oral religious story or stories were makes it very difficult to assume anything like that. That said, thanks a lot for the link. I'm VERY new to religion as a whole so I'm pretty naive about its history, although not nearly as naive/ignorant as, say, Christians who hate Jews that also think Jesus was white. IMO, people who argue about the ethnicity of Jesus & other prominent religious and historical figures are missing the point entirely. "Race"(I hate that term) is the most irrelevant, superficial thing about a person and I bet Jesus would be disappointed with people arguing about such a silly issue. Of course it's not silly to argue AGAINST racism; claiming superiority due to ethnicity is one of humanity's dumbest, most destructive sins. I also don't understand why a person would hate someone for having different views than them; it's so asinine & immature.

Back on topic: We don't know nearly enough about religious history to really assume anything from a scientific standpoint in regards to the birth of religion. All we have are tiny bits and pieces archeologically. I have faith that Christianity is correct, and since it's faith and not science, I have no proof. I hope as we develop technologically, religion and science become one some day. Man, this post is much longer than it should've been.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Back on topic:
Merry Christmas to you too. :P
I hope as we develop technologically, religion and science become one some day.
Careful, that sounds like some extreme transhumanism. ;)

In all seriousness, I think the only way religion and science will become one is if a religion worshipping science goes mainstream. That's... not a good thing for anyone.
And its god would be Carl Sagan, much to Mr. Sagan's consternation.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

He'll join Siddhartha Gautama as a frequently worshipped deity who said not to worship deities.

Anyway, I feel confident that "I hope as we develop technologically, religion and science become one some day." will remain the silliest thing I read in 2014.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Why can't we all just worship Kanye West? I'm sure he would have no problem with it.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I was referring to science possibly proving the existence of God, although I have absolutely no idea how that(proving OR disproving) could be done. If science is ever able to prove the existence of extra dimensions, parallel or alternate universes or any of that trippy stuff, who knows what the results of such discoveries would be? I know that's pretty far out there and I'm very, VERY far from being an expert when it comes to astrophysics or any physics for that matter. However, we never know what the next major discovery will be. Space being a pliable, bendable fabric was considered completely nuts until it was proven.

Also does anyone think there's a chance that the Higgs boson or something similar to it could be related to dark matter? I don't know enough to even postulate things like that, but it'd be really cool if the Higgs ends up helping us understand gravity more. The way visible(to the naked eye) objects behave gravitationally compared to quantum gravity is an incredibly complicated but interesting mystery. To a layman like myself, the Higgs field sounds kind of like the theoretical dark matter, but that's just a shot in the dark on my part.

EDIT: Go easy on Kanye. He's a recovering gay fish.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I was referring to science possibly proving the existence of God, although I have absolutely no idea how that(proving OR disproving) could be done.
If they somehow DID manage to prove that one religion was true, it wouldn't BE religion anymore.
You'd be taking the faith out of faith.
Also does anyone think there's a chance that the Higgs boson or something similar to it could be related to dark matter? I don't know enough to even postulate things like that, but it'd be really cool if the Higgs ends up helping us understand gravity more.
Finding the Higgs boson was nothing more than confirmation of predictions.

As the boson responsible for mass, the Higgs, by definition, is related to dark matter. And all other matter, for that matter.
But dark matter is believed to be unusually massive, so... Yes. If dark matter is a thing, it will have an UNUSUAL relation with the Higgs boson(or perhaps more accurately, an unusual relation with all the other bosons it refuses to have anything to do with).
The way visible(to the naked eye) objects behave gravitationally compared to quantum gravity is an incredibly complicated but interesting mystery. To a layman like myself, the Higgs field sounds kind of like the theoretical dark matter, but that's just a shot in the dark on my part.
The Higgs field is not an aura of mass in the universe that is distinct and different from the mass carried by matter. It's the source of the mass carried by all matter, from quarks to galaxies.
While the hypothetical dark matter would get its mass from the Higgs field... so does every other form of matter in the universe.

Yes, it seems weird to say mass comes from a field that matter interacts with, when it appears to us to be an intrinsic property of matter. The universe is weird.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Science will never prove god, simply due to the nature of scientific proof. If a truly supernatural event were to observed well enough to even be considered for scientific inquiry, the best it could ever do is stay in the "unexplained" category forever.

What science does do, however, is demonstrate how many claims of supernatural powers/events are really just natural occurrences were ignorant/deceptive/etc about. This is I find the whole "non-overlapping magisteria" notion to be, most of the time, merely an attempt to weasel out of having one's claims put to the test. If you're making claims that impact the physical world, guess what? They're a perfectly valid target for science.

I don't like the concept of faith for faith's sake. I don't like proclaiming that some things are intrinsically beyond the reach of human intellect. It's a cop-out.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Noxious Ninja wrote:I don't like proclaiming that some things are intrinsically beyond the reach of human intellect. It's a cop-out.
I have some bad news then. :p
Alongside that, the current theories lock us out from knowing what happens before the first planck time, what's beyond the observable universe, and so on.

Sorry about that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

maybe god has been hiding behind the event horizon of a black hole all along
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I don't think science will ever prove or disprove God or other supernatural belief systems, but you never know. Gil did make a good point in that science and faith, while similar in many ways, are totally different from a philosophical perspective. I was an atheist for the vast majority of my life. From a mental/emotional perspective, it's like I used to only see the world in black & white before finding God, but now I see everything in full color. While different in many ways, science and religion aren't mutually exclusive.

I also believe you can't force people to believe in or to stop believing in God. I mean, people can be "converted" by force like in the dark ages, but you can't change what people truly believe in their hearts by sheer brute force, imo. I have a wonderful, loving family that never tried to push me in either direction while at the same time respecting my final choice. I have encountered other people that have tried to shove their beliefs down my throat(I always tell them to eat shit and fuck off), but I'm lucky I have such an understanding family.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Gil did make a good point in that science and faith, while similar in many ways, are totally different from a philosophical perspective.
I don't think they're very similar at all.
The most basic principle of science is to question everything. Take NOTHING on faith.
Religion, by definition, asks you to take its most important parts on faith.
That's not a philosophical difference.

Which is not to say all scientists are atheists, or even that all scientists are agnostic, of course. That would be a blatantly absurd claim.
While different in many ways, science and religion aren't mutually exclusive.
Indeed.

But you can't let your faith get in the way of your science.
If the Bible said that apples reflected light primarily in wavelengths around the 600 nanometer range, but a spectroscope showed them as primarily reflecting light around 700 nanometers... you can't insist the spectrometer is wrong and that apple is orange because God said so.

By all means double-check your instrument calibration. Use a backup tool. Test things in more than one way. Be sure.
But don't just dismiss your findings out of hand because they MUST be wrong. You're no scientist if you do that.

The REAL scientist will try and figure out why the Bible says apples are orange.
Does the geological record show evidence of unusual atmospheric contamination that could have tinted the light?
Has a translation error crept in over the centuries and those apples were originally a different fruit?
Is the erroneous coloring symbolic of something as opposed to the literal truth?
Is this just some extinct strain of orange apples that was common two millennia ago?

The immediate scientific response does not have to be "apples are not oranges, and therefore God is a lie", but it SHOULD concede that this particular verse appears to have content which is not, strictly speaking, factual.
And, of course, I say appears because future discoveries could shed new light on what seems to be a blatant contradiction.

Of course, some folks wind up placing their faith... not in science per se, but in certain scientific theories.
That generates a lot of bad science as they try to shore up these theories and shoot down any challenges without actually looking at them.
I have a wonderful, loving family that never tried to push me in either direction while at the same time respecting my final choice. I have encountered other people that have tried to shove their beliefs down my throat(I always tell them to eat shit and fuck off), but I'm lucky I have such an understanding family.
I am very glad your family was understanding and accepted you the way you were.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

wat

How the hell did a Merry Christmas thread turn into this.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

blackmyst, meet Yuber. remember the reality distortion field? he's got a thread derailment field.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:wat

How the hell did a Merry Christmas thread turn into this.
Welcome to the ZSNES boards !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I derail a lot, but shit gets derailed here ALL the time by many different individuals. That derail thread was probably made in part because I'm the new guy here. The holidays are over; who fucking cares if this thread gets derailed? I know I posted that rant about our retarded weed laws before new years, but cmon, weed is just as relevant as alcohol on NYE plus it's safer.(and better)

Gil: One of the most complicated things about religion is trying to figure out which parts of whatever text you read are symbolic and which parts are meant to be taken literally. I've got plenty of questions about Christianity so no, I don't just take everything on faith. I'm very new to religion as a whole and I have a lot to learn. I haven't even come close to reading the entire Bible. There was no one experience or epiphany that convinced me God is real; it was a series of(non drug related in case you're wondering) events and research on different subjects that convinced me. Many of my reasons are private, but I do question my beliefs constantly although I don't think my mind can be changed at this point in regards to what religion I believe in. I don't want this to become a religious debate, because they never, ever end well.(and often just never end)

I look at psychedelic trips the same way I do dreams. Both have the potential to get you thinking about religion(or anything else) but I don't see them as "real" experiences although both can feel VERY real at times. The weirdest dreams are dreams within dreams; you "wake up" only to find yourself in another dream, sometimes over and over. The human mind is pretty fucking weird.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

New year, new holiday. A joyous haunnakwanzmas to you and your's.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

Yay! I got a kidney stone for Christmas !

Merry Christmas everyone.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

merry xmas again you bunch of old farts.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Johan_H wrote:Anyway, I feel confident that "I hope as we develop technologically, religion and science become one some day." will remain the silliest thing I read in 2014.
Sadly not even close
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Pretty shitty year all things considered. Fuck you, 2014. Good riddance.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Hopefully 2015 will better. Slim hope, sure, but still...
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It is the year 2015. But where are the flying cars? They told me there would be flying cars. I don't see any flying cars. Why?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads